Media Center video error. HD View not working

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
danno

Media Center video error. HD View not working

Postby danno » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 am

I am having trouble viewing live TV in media center, but only in my non-admin accounts. I can view recordings just fine. Also HD View isn't working.

I tried updating to latest version of HDHOMERUN software. First pass fails to complete. Log shows fatal error. Install had to stop HDHomeRun Record process during its progress. Second run of install succeeded.

Still cant view live tv in MC. Error in MC is:

"Video Error

Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working."

But Live viewing in MC works fine in admin accounts. If I Run as Admin in non-admin accounts, MC works as well.

Also I tried HDHomeRun View. This does not work for either admin or non-admin accounts. It finds tuners, but reports that app does not support HD HomeRun Record.

I have 2 media pcs. Only one is exhibiting MC problem. View isn't working in either. Both are win 8.1. I realize this may be a media center problem but thought I'd ask here first, especially since view not working.

Thanks for help.

Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Media Center video error. HD View not working

Postby signcarver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:00 am

Media Center would be a Media Center issue... for WMC I suggest thegreenbutton.tv (there are many "Media Centers"). As for Record... if you are not on windows 10 that message is normal as the client that supports the DVR for windows prior to 10 is the Kodi Addon but the app should work for live... most likely the wrong version of VLC installed (don't let 64 bit touch the system).

The two may be related if you happened to install any non-ms codec packs.

danno

Postby danno » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:41 pm

No VLC on either system. I will try greenbutton, but folks here have in the past had a lot of experience with WMC. Thought someone else may have seen the error.

Thanks for help,

Dan

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:42 pm

The Video Error message in WMC can mean about a dozen different things. These are the most common:
  • AC3 bitstreaming is enabled and WMC can't lock the audio output for exclusive use. Turning on the auto-volume function in WMC will disable AC3 and work around this.
  • Something, either a codec pack or a program you used, has changed the codecs WMC is trying to use, and the new one isn't working right. If you have any codec packs installed, especially ones that are known to be able to modify what WMC uses (Shark007), revert any changes/uninstall them. If you used a program to change WMC's decoder manually, undo that change.
  • Audio or video driver is messed up. Try a different audio or video driver version from the manufacturer.

Return to “Third Party Software”