Best Looking App with Guide

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
amitkania

Best Looking App with Guide

Postby amitkania » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:32 pm

So I just got the HDHomeRun Prime and I currently have an AppleTV and 2 FireTV 4Ks.

On my AppleTV, I got the Channels app which is amazing. It looks really nice, the guide is very clean and smooth, and there is no delay in switching between channels.

I am not sure what to get on the FireTV though. The Channels app seems to have bad reviews on it, and so does InstaTV. I'm mainly just interested in having a channel guide. I currently have the HDHomeRun app on the FireTV, which to be honest, doesn't look that great and there is no real channel guide on it. Plus I have FiOS, so all the HD channels start at 500, so it sucks having to scroll down to 500s each time.

I also have a Samsung Bluray player from 2012 (it has Samsung Hub and some DLNA stuff, not sure what that is though) and 3 Rokus.

Kodi on the FireTVs is also an option, but Kodi takes forever to open and actually load and I feel it will be challenging for my grandparents to use, unless there is a Kodi build that just directly has Live TV. I don't use the DVR features.

What would be the best option for me? I don't really care about DRM channels, but having them work would be a bonus.
Last edited by amitkania on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmm1

Re: Best Looking App with Guide

Postby tmm1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:46 pm

If you decide to try Channels on Fire TV and have any issues, feel free to contact us on https://community.getchannels.com and we can help. The Android TV and FireTV versions of Channels are new and had some growing pains, but are quickly become as stable as the Apple TV app.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Channels on FireTV is definitely not as smooth and polished as it is on iOS, but it is still superior to SiliconDust's offerings, and probably the best all-in-one route to go for FireTV and cross-platform support.

If you want to go all in, Tvheadend as your DVR with a Kodi frontend could definitely make for a smooth and slick client. However, there is a bunch of bulk/bloat associated with Kodi and the configuration gets to be a bit awkward.

Plex is another option, but I have been less than impressed with their scattershot approach to mismatched Live TV implementations across different OSes/clients, nevermind the lack of LiveTV for some clients. (Not to mention that there are some annoying bugs with their FireTV version that they seem to be in no hurry to address.)

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:02 pm

We're using the Channels app on a FTV and on a couple Android TVs and think it's just terrific. Plus the devs are super-responsive.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:50 pm

For just a basic guide I found Emby to be the best. I'm using Channels now because their dvr is better.

amitkania

Postby amitkania » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 pm

If you want to go all in, Tvheadend as your DVR with a Kodi frontend could definitely make for a smooth and slick client. However, there is a bunch of bulk/bloat associated with Kodi and the configuration gets to be a bit awkward.
Yeah I don't want to go the Kodi route. It is too slow with too many extra features I don't need.
We're using the Channels app on a FTV and on a couple Android TVs and think it's just terrific. Plus the devs are super-responsive.
Do they give a refund if the app doesn't work as intended?
For just a basic guide I found Emby to be the best.
Is Emby free for LiveTV? I don't really want to pay a monthly fee, that's why I didn't go the Plex route. I don't care about DVR.

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm

> Do they give a refund if the app doesn't work as intended?

Refunds are available directly from your point of purchase. See https://getchannels.com/faq/#this-app-j ... t-a-refund

tdi-me

Postby tdi-me » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 am

Yeah I don't want to go the Kodi route. It is too slow with too many extra features I don't need.
Do they give a refund if the app doesn't work as intended?
For just a basic guide I found Emby to be the best.
Is Emby free for LiveTV? I don't really want to pay a monthly fee, that's why I didn't go the Plex route. I don't care about DVR.
Official information about emby can be found here: https://emby.media/premiere.html
If I remember correctly if you dont want all the premier features from emby but you do want to use the app you can pay a one time activation of 5$ per device ( i think its per device ). There is a trial period i believe and you can access it through a web browser.

Return to “Third Party Software”