Where the h*** is HDHomeRun Setup?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
hdhr-dan

Where the h*** is HDHomeRun Setup?

Postby hdhr-dan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:25 am

I just purchased an HDHR Connect Duo. Plugged everything in and after going to my.hdhomerun.com it showed no HD Homerun detected. Great! Now what? Turns out it was because I had my VPN software running which was preventing device detection. After turning that off, then the website detected the Duo.

I'm trying to use the Duo with Windows Media Center on Windows 7. But when running setup in WMC it says no tuners detected. So, I clicked on the WMC instructions link at the bottom of the page. The first instruction it says to do is run HDHomeRun Setup and then do a couple more steps and save the setup. Problem is, I cannot find HDHomeRun Setup anywhere. Where the heck is it? There are no links on the page for it that I can see. I've clicked all around the website, looked through several posts here in the forums and can't find a thing about it. So, until I can find this missing setup page, I'm stuck! Can someone please help????!!!!!!

I gotta say, so far, I'm totally underwhelmed with the lack of instructions provided by SD for setting up their devices. All they provide is a leaflet in the box the device came in telling you to go to my.hdhomerun.com. Once you get there, you're on your own. No help whatsoever. For example, a simple message above the box that shows your device status, telling you to click on the device name for further setup would have been really helpful. I guess no one at the company thought of that. It just looks like static text unless you happen to hold your mouse pointer over it. I could rant further but I won't. I just want to get the device working so I can start enjoying it, hopefully. Any help you can give is GREATLY appreciated!

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Where the h*** is HDHomeRun Setup?

Postby ACraigo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 am

On my machine:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe
I set a shortcut to it 'cause it showed up for a few minutes when I was trying to install - then disappeared.

The install process was a sequence of trial and error, reboots, restarts, forum posts, re-tries, work-arounds, etc. I assume you find the process equally mysterious. All I can say is keep trying. Eventually something good happens and it starts working. We hope.

hdhr-dan

Postby hdhr-dan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am

On my machine:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe
I set a shortcut to it 'cause it showed up for a few minutes when I was trying to install - then disappeared.

The install process was a sequence of trial and error, reboots, restarts, forum posts, re-tries, work-arounds, etc. I assume you find the process equally mysterious. All I can say is keep trying. Eventually something good happens and it starts working. We hope.
Hey ACraigo, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I went into the Program Files folder on my PC but there is no Silicondust folder there. I've also checked the programs installed in Control Panel though I didn't expect to find anything there because nothing was downloaded or installed when I plugged the Duo in. So I'm still at a loss as to what to do. Am going to send the thing back if I can't get it working pretty soon.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:55 am

Hmmmm... appears you have skipped a few steps:
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-duo/

...like downloading and installing the software, would, I assume be first.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 pm

True, the OP needs to install the support software. I checked out the link above and I can see how a new user would be confused. The links to drill down to the download are there amidst a lot of other clutter. A more direct link would be SiliconDust's Download page. Select "HDHomeRun Software for Windows" to download the software.

Tip for the OP: after installation, create desktop shortcuts (if the installer didn't) to hdhomerun_setup.exe and hdhomerun_config_gui.exe (both are in the installation directory). You'll want to run them occasionally. Config GUI is especially useful and many users don't know where to find it or even that it exists.

hdhr-dan

Postby hdhr-dan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Wow, would be nice if somewhere, ANYWHERE, like for instance in the user guide that comes with the product, SiliconDust would let you know that for their device to work with WMC, you first have to download and install their software, the link for which is buried way down at the bottom of the product page and is not even on the myhomerun page or the WMC instruction page! Geez! Thanks again for your help. Have downloaded and installed the software. Now will see if it actually works. After seeing how horrible their user setup and instructions are, I'm not holding my breath.

hdhr-dan

Re: Where in the world is HDHomeRun Setup?

Postby hdhr-dan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:42 pm

After running through channel scan in Windows Media Center, it showed low to no bars signal strength on all channels. So I thought I was going to have to send the unit back. Surprisingly, I'm getting all the channels with no pixelation so I don't know why WMC is showing low or no bars signal strength. Just glad it's working. Thanks, guys, for your help!

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 am

Good point on that lack of a download link in the my.hdhomerun.come directions for Windows Media Center. Getting the web guys on it ASAP.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 am

Link added. Thanks!

hdhr-dan

Postby hdhr-dan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:37 am

Link added. Thanks!
Hey Nate, thanks for adding the link for the WMC software download. Very much appreciated! The Duo is working great so far. Best regards.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 am

No problem. We've actually been on a push to improve instructions overall, so this fit right in. It's funny how even little touches can make a huge difference in usability.

Oh, and great to hear about the Duo!

Return to “Third Party Software”