Delivering Premium TV channels to LibreElec, OpenElec or Kodi

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
danielwlewis

Delivering Premium TV channels to LibreElec, OpenElec or Kodi

Postby danielwlewis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Is there a backend server that can deliver the new Premium TV channels to LibreElec, OpenElec, or KODI TV clients?

Currently my backend is MythTV, serving several LibreElec clients. While MythTV detects my HDHR Quatro, making it work with the new Premium TV channels seems problematic:

(1) Performing an ATSC scan only picks up the OTA channels, and
(2) It's unclear how to use two different ScheduleDirect channel lineups for the Quatro (one for OTA, one for Premium).

I am able to download the xmltv files for OTA and for Premium. Do I then run mythfilldatabase twice (once for each xmltv file), or merge the two files and run mythfilldatabase only once?

Also, I saw a comment in another post that the Premium channels are not returned unless the software enables that feature by sending a special request to the Quatro. Does that imply that to make it work someone will need to update the MythTV server software, or perhaps update a device driver?

I'm not opposed to replacing my backend server, but it's not clear to me what server alternatives exist for which Kodi offers compatible and fully functional PVR plugins (not simply a Video plugin). For example, do the MediaPortal or NextPVR backends support Premium TV on the Quatro?

Any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

mfarley

Re: Delivering Premium TV channels to LibreElec, OpenElec or Kodi

Postby mfarley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

I've tried recording the premium channels with my MythTV setup.

Myth attempts to tune to the vchannel, but is unable to establish a stream and write/record data :(

danielwlewis

Postby danielwlewis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Myth attempts to tune to the vchannel, but is unable to establish a stream and write/record data :(
I've decided to go another route: Instead of using the MythTV backend, I'm hoping to switch to using this PVR addon with my Kodi (actually LibreElec) clients: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776&hilit=pvr.hdhomerundvr.

It eliminates the need for a backend altogether and uses the SiliconDust DVR service instead.

But I'm having problems getting the SD record engine to work. I don't think it's a problem with the addon, but rather something that isn't quite right with the way I installed the SD record engine.

Dan

mfarley

Postby mfarley » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm

I've decided to go another route: Instead of using the MythTV backend, I'm hoping to switch to using this PVR addon with my Kodi (actually LibreElec) clients: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776&hilit=pvr.hdhomerundvr.

It eliminates the need for a backend altogether and uses the SiliconDust DVR service instead.

But I'm having problems getting the SD record engine to work. I don't think it's a problem with the addon, but rather something that isn't quite right with the way I installed the SD record engine.

Dan
Thanks Dan! This looks *very* promising. Please let me know if it works!

danielwlewis

Postby danielwlewis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Dan
Thanks Dan! This looks *very* promising. Please let me know if it works!
'Still have a bit of testing to do before submitting it for family approval, but I've resolved my SD record issues and the PVR addon now seems to work just fine. I'm hoping this works well, because it would allow me to keep the LibreElec user interface that the family has grown accustomed to.

What I *HAVE* noticed so far are some differences in the recording options and recording behavior:

(1) With my MythTV backend and the Kodi MythTV PVR addon, I have been able to watch a recording while MythTV was still in the process of recording it. With this PVR addon, it appears you have to wait until the recording has completed. Moreover, the recording doesn't show up under recordings immediately - apparently you have to wait until some background process triggers and detects the presence of the recording.

(2) You can't do a "manual" recording where you simply specify the date, time and duration. Instead, you can only record shows that appear in the program guide by right-clicking on the entry in the guide.

There seem to be some oddities about deleting timers and/or timer rules, but I'm not sure I really understand what all the differences are just yet.

The good news is that you CAN record, you can pause playback, and you can skip backwards and forwards. Once I'm comfortable and confident with the new interface, then I'll probably purchase the Premium TV package and cut the cord with our cable company. :-)

Dan

mfarley

Postby mfarley » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 am

Awesome! Thanks again Dan. I want to replicate your plan and follow in your footsteps, but we're in the process of moving (far from "home") so I won't be able to try until December / January. Keep us posted! :)

Return to “Third Party Software”