Compressing HD Homerun DVR Recordings

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
TheDetective

Compressing HD Homerun DVR Recordings

Postby TheDetective » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for compressing HD Homerun DVR recordings to a smaller size with comparable quality? I have tried Handbrake which works great for .ts files recorded through Plex, but when I try using it with HD Homerun recordings, I get files with larger sizes.

NYPlayer

Re: Compressing HD Homerun DVR Recordings

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for compressing HD Homerun DVR recordings to a smaller size with comparable quality? I have tried Handbrake which works great for .ts files recorded through Plex, but when I try using it with HD Homerun recordings, I get files with larger sizes.
MceBuddy is the best and also keeps the HDHomeRun DVR metadata. It is not free but well worth it.

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 am

MceBuddy is the best and also keeps the HDHomeRun DVR metadata. It is not free but well worth it.
I have actually been using MCEBuddy with the normal MP4 preset. It works for Plex recordings but the HD Homerun recordings are coming out larger than there orginal size.

ctbarker32

Postby ctbarker32 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am

I use Xmedia Recode which is a front end to ffmpeg. I use my built in video card or intel's to really speed up h264 transcoding. I go to 720p which I think is a good compromise of video quality and size. I can usually reduce to about on quarter of the original size.

If you need help on optimal settings in Xmedia Recode, leave a message and I will give details.

Xmedia Recode is really the fastest way to do this. If you want to manually remove commercials I use AVIdemux but it is time consuming so I just use Plex to fast forward.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 am

MCEbuddy creates smaller files on my DVR (mpeg) recordings, though I use WinX HD Video Converter because it is faster and has less CPU overhead on my PC (uses GPU acceleration).

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:44 am

With MCEBuddy you'll need to experiment with that slider in the quality area. In the middle, for me, usually produces a suitable file with suitable quality and 1080i encodes direct from OTA usually arrive in Plex at 3750kbps (+/-) with quality that I'm hard pressed to see differently than the original.

In the Advanced Settings area, I moved my slider left to -15% for these 720p encodes 'cause I want MCEBuddy wading through encodes like a squad of Amish Farmers through an acre of Wheat. The quality is good (enough) and it happens quickly. I may adjust that setting a bit as the quality of our PTV improves, but anything on the + side of '0' is basically placebo for MCEBuddy and that's where you're seeing larger file sizes than the originals and that's simply a waste of time.

Of course, at my house I have to make my own eyeballs happy. At your house you'll be using your eyeballs. Do what ever you have to, but examine your work carefully and make the best decisions you can. This will take some time, some trial and error and quite a few testing runs before you come up with your own magic formula.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 am

I run my keepers through comskip and have it output a .vprj VideoReDo project file. I then open the project in VideoReDo and review the commercial cuts comskip detected. I just clean up the beginning and end segments of the show and zip through the middle part to make sure comskip didn't miss any commercials or detect parts of the show as commercials. From there I output two files, a h.264 .mkv file and a mpeg-2 ts file. The only reason I have it output a mpeg-2 file is so I can run it through CCExtractor to give me a .srt subtitle file.

The last one I did like that was Preacher S03E10. The original recording file was 6.57 GB. The mpeg-2 file after commercials were taken out was 4.52 GB. The h.264 1080p .mkv file came out to 3.12 GB.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:18 am

I use MCEBuddy and a custom comskip.ini file I found here:
https://discussion.mcebuddy2x.com/t/tun ... pecific/29
particularly:
http://www.mcebuddy2x.com/MCEBUDDY/SHAR ... ip%20INIs/

USA Comcast.ini (if you can believe it) is almost perfect for many channels, except Travel, et.al. where slam-cuts are the order of the day.

For Keepers I run those through VideoReDo TV Suite 5 - then directly to Handbrake.
Here lately MCEBuddy is quite busy - as it is right now - so I wait until the blowers slow down, then stop MCEBuddy for Handbrake jobs... then delete/replace as necessary in the Plexiverse.

There's a method to everyone's madness... I guess.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:24 am

For Keepers I run those through VideoReDo TV Suite 5 - then directly to Handbrake.
I prefer to let VideoReDo re-encode simply because it can automatically put chapter markers at cut points when outputting .mkv files. I still haven't figured out a way to get VRD to output a chapter file that Handbrake can work with.

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 am

I really appreciate everyone's help here. Can anyone tell me why Handrbake and MCEBuddy are making larger files? I've used Handbrake for years to convert .ts files and even larger MP4 files and I don't think I've ever had this problem with anything besides the files the HD Homerun DVR makes.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am

My first guess for Handbrake would be the quality RF slider on the video tab is set for a quality higher than necessary.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 am

Get MediaInfo:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

In Windows:
Install, allow it to add itself to your File Explorer so it'll pop up some info on a roll-over, or right click and look at a full report. Inspect the bit rate of the original, then make some 'Previews' in Handbrake/MCEBuddy and inspect those bit rates. Lower the slider as necessary to target a lower bit rate, while watching the quality with your eyeballs.

When installing MediaInfo beware of 'Crapware' that may want to come along for the ride. It's been a while since I installed it, but do recall some 'Crapware' ride-alongs at some point. Just say, No. Nothing damaging, just 'Crapware' you don't need.

You'll not get away without making some Previews and Tests. Adjust as necessary.

Personally I use a targeted bit rate in Handbrake instead of Constant Quality due to the wildly erratic nature of Bit Rates and File Sizes when using Constant Quality. I do, however, use a '2 pass with Turbo', so more of that bit rate can be assigned to portions of the video where needed and I get a file size I can count on and acceptable quality.

You will have to form your own opinions and methods. My eyeballs and methods won't work at your house.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 pm

When compressing and doing comskip...

I used MCEBuddy (paid version) which has a preset already built for HDHR files. Also used Comskip (donator) which processes the files at a much greater speed.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 am

particularly:

USA Comcast.ini (if you can believe it) is almost perfect for many channels, except Travel, et.al. where slam-cuts are the order of the day.

Here lately MCEBuddy is quite busy - as it is right now - so I wait until the blowers slow down, then stop MCEBuddy for Handbrake jobs... then delete/replace as necessary in the Plexiverse.

I suppose I need to take a look at those settings but I'm a total noob with MCEBuddy and Comskip. Are there basic guides someplace?

Thanks.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am

particularly:

I suppose I need to take a look at those settings but I'm a total noob with MCEBuddy and Comskip. Are there basic guides someplace?

Thanks.
MCEBuddy is easy, but here's a guide dealing with quality and comskip, I think. The trickiest part of that is the Custom Naming String for use in Plex and even that is easily dealt with:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/1080i-mpeg2-co ... nt_1321322

Return to “Third Party Software”