Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
rpcameron

Re: Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

Post by rpcameron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 am

Jackamus wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 am
rpcameron wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:12 am
vission wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am
Channels does not support Protected Content and they have stated they are not planning to add that capability even just for viewing. Whereas the Google Live Channels does, so I'll stick with that for my viewing until I see they have implemented it.
As I understand it, Live Channels is actually using SD's software behind the scenes to display protected content; it does not handle the protected content on its own.
I use Channels as my out of house streaming solution and Channels will display all DRM content both in house and out of house. Also, none of my channels are Copy Once Protected.
Channels itself does not display DRM content, and presently has no plans to do so. I think you are confusing encryption (which requires a CableCARD to decrypt) with DRM (which is the Copy Once or Copy Never flag being set). If none of your channels have the Copy Once flag set, then you do not have DRM set on the channel.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:21 pm

I purchased this app and it looks really nice. Works well but the DVR pricing is ridiculous. I can rent a DVR from the cable company for less so I decided to return it for a refund. This is the kind of app SD needs. The HDhomerun app is just terrible and hasn't changed much in years. I don't understand what they are doing.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:53 am

Deihmos wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:21 pm
I purchased this app and it looks really nice. Works well but the DVR pricing is ridiculous. I can rent a DVR from the cable company for less so I decided to return it for a refund. This is the kind of app SD needs. The HDhomerun app is just terrible and hasn't changed much in years. I don't understand what they are doing.
The old adage: "You get what you pay for", immediately comes to mind...

1) How much cheaper than the 'ridiculous' $8 a month is your cable company DVR solution?

2) What benefits - other than the great feeling you get by helping fund the little umbrellas and gaudy fruit perched on the rims of the overly sweet cocktails being served on your Cable Executive's Yacht - do you get with your Cable Company's DVR Solution?

3) Have you considered Channels DVR looks and works better than the HD app because something in that 'ridiculous' $8 a month is doing something that's not happening in the HD app?

4) How much cheaper than $8 a month would Channels have to be in order to stop being 'ridiculous'?

When I signed up for Channels I knew full well I'd be paying a year of HD DVR - I wasn't going to be using - but I couldn't wait to throw down $8 a month for a DVR solution that does everything I want it to (within reason) and instantly solved the majority of issues in the HD app. I don't mind paying for something that works - and so far I have no indication the Channels Guys are buying a yacht (anytime soon, at least).

I did see pictures of a Dish Tech installing a little junky antenna on a Channel Guy's house, that looked pretty much like the house I live in - no electrified fences, armed guards, or scantily-clad beauties serving overly sweet cocktails around the marble pool deck. I didn't even see a pool.

:)

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:35 am

ACraigo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:53 am
Deihmos wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:21 pm
The old adage: "You get what you pay for", immediately comes to mind...

1) How much cheaper than the 'ridiculous' $8 a month is your cable company DVR solution?

2) What benefits - other than the great feeling you get by helping fund the little umbrellas and gaudy fruit perched on the rims of the overly sweet cocktails being served on your Cable Executive's Yacht - do you get with your Cable Company's DVR Solution?

3) Have you considered Channels DVR looks and works better than the HD app because something in that 'ridiculous' $8 a month is doing something that's not happening in the HD app?

4) How much cheaper than $8 a month would Channels have to be in order to stop being 'ridiculous'?

When I signed up for Channels I knew full well I'd be paying a year of HD DVR - I wasn't going to be using - but I couldn't wait to throw down $8 a month for a DVR solution that does everything I want it to (within reason) and instantly solved the majority of issues in the HD app. I don't mind paying for something that works - and so far I have no indication the Channels Guys are buying a yacht (anytime soon, at least).

I did see pictures of a Dish Tech installing a little junky antenna on a Channel Guy's house, that looked pretty much like the house I live in - no electrified fences, armed guards, or scantily-clad beauties serving overly sweet cocktails around the marble pool deck. I didn't even see a pool.

:)
I don’t see the value in the price. There are many other solutions that cost a lot less and many are free. I record something once in a blue moon so there is no value in paying that much. I’m happy you see the value in paying that much.

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 am

Deihmos wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:35 am
I don’t see the value in the price. There are many other solutions that cost a lot less and many are free. I record something once in a blue moon so there is no value in paying that much. I’m happy you see the value in paying that much.
You don't need a DVR, but if you like the way Channels works for Live TV - I'm afraid that'll cost, of course.

You should be in the threads about the new HDHR UI helping them make it great, or just use one of your many 'other' solutions.

I record everything I want to watch and it's all integrated into a Rube Goldberg monstrosity for viewing anywhere with internet on multiple devices in many homes... so yea... I'm good with $8 a month.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am

ACraigo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 am
Deihmos wrote:
You don't need a DVR, but if you like the way Channels works for Live TV - I'm afraid that'll cost, of course.

You should be in the threads about the new HDHR UI helping them make it great, or just use one of your many 'other' solutions.

I record everything I want to watch and it's all integrated into a Rube Goldberg monstrosity for viewing anywhere with internet on multiple devices in many homes... so yea... I'm good with $8 a month.
+1

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Deihmos wrote:

I gave up on the HDHR UI. Got excited when I heard they were updating it but was surprised to see it pretty much looks the same. It has been too many years so I am not bothering anymore. Channels looks fine but it is too expensive. If it was the same price as HDhomerun DVR I would have probably purchased it. I came from WMC where everything worked fine for free and I thought SD was going to implement certain things but it never happened. Channels cannot play DRM either so I will still need to use the hdhomerun app.

Channels doesn't seem capable of streaming the same channel to multiple devices without using another tuner.

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 am

Deihmos wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
Channels doesn't seem capable of streaming the same channel to multiple devices without using another tuner.
In the Channels App(s) go to DVR and enable Tuner Sharing.

There are lots of little things like that - and it's what you pay for (the Channels Guys need to eat occasionally, I would imagine - and while the food may grow on trees, the money to buy it with does not).

All other issues/instructions can be reported/found on the Channels Forum - where most people go when they want to find out about Channels' Stuff or mention something that may need fixing (a fix happens very quickly - in most cases).

;)

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 am

Deihmos wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
ACraigo wrote:
Deihmos wrote:

I gave up on the HDHR UI. Got excited when I heard they were updating it but was surprised to see it pretty much looks the same. It has been too many years so I am not bothering anymore. Channels looks fine but it is too expensive. If it was the same price as HDhomerun DVR I would have probably purchased it. I came from WMC where everything worked fine for free and I thought SD was going to implement certain things but it never happened. Channels cannot play DRM either so I will still need to use the hdhomerun app.

Channels DVR also does Comskip which I cannot watch TV without also the ability to record by genre and channels #'s is a great addition.

Just a few Features Channel's DVR.

Advanced Passes
Remote Viewing built in / With Hardware Transcoding.
Tuner Sharing
Comskip /Auto/Manual.
Space Maintenance.
Software/Hardware Decoding.

Forgot Grid Guide.
Last edited by NYPlayer on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cncb

Post by cncb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 am

I was considering the Channels DVR but like the HDHR DVR it seems that it is missing "simple" things that a DVR needs IMO like conflict resolution and error reporting. It also does not seem to have a Windows client app.

sanya

Post by sanya » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am

Yeah, lack of any kind of Windows support (or a decent web player) is the biggest drawback to me. Even though it has a great UI on Android TV and TvOS, I can't see it being worth $8/mo when I would have to pay for another subscription on top of it for the ability to watch live TV on a desktop. I'd love to buy it if that ever comes along. But until then the current DVR web app is not sufficient and can't do things like record a current broadcast, provide accurate program info or time for live viewing, or resize the window. With that said the HDHR app has a trash UI and isn't really worth it either over WMC.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:34 am

sanya wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am
Yeah, lack of any kind of Windows support (or a decent web player) is the biggest drawback to me. Even though it has a great UI on Android TV and TvOS, I can't see it being worth $8/mo when I would have to pay for another subscription on top of it for the ability to watch live TV on a desktop. I'd love to buy it if that ever comes along. But until then the current DVR web app is not sufficient and can't do things like record a current broadcast, provide accurate program info or time for live viewing, or resize the window. With that said the HDHR app has a trash UI and isn't really worth it either over WMC.
I have no Problem recording a Live Current Broadcast from the Web UI. See Record now button.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:35 pm

sanya wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am
I am thinking about reinstalling Windows 8 just for WMC then I will use MCE Buddy for commercial stripping. I don't think SD UI will ever get any better.