Mix & Match HDHomeRuns With Plex

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
pegasus9

Mix & Match HDHomeRuns With Plex

Postby pegasus9 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:33 am

I have an HDHomeRun Extend working with Plex just fine. My local cable company is offering a great deal on channels not available over OTA but I don't want to pay the extra $60/month for equipment, DVR, and HD. I know an HDHomeRun Prime can handle those for me.

Not wanting to lose my investment in existing equipment, I would like to keep the Extend online for local channels and to give me a total of 5 tuners.

Has anyone else done a mix/match setup? Will PMS be able to manage the two tuner devices since they have different capabilities and different channel offerings? Anything special need to happen to make function without conflict?
Last edited by pegasus9 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Mix & Match HDHomeRuns

Postby Mediaman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:02 pm

this question might be better served if it was in the third party software section of the forum and add Plex to the title. I can not speak to the Plex system but there is no issue with different tuners working at the same time in SD software. But you would block the local channels from the prime to guarantee the Extend records the local channels.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Plex currently supports only one lineup either OTA or Cable .. you can try and map the OTA to the Cable equivalent but this does not always work.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Topic moved to third-party software forum.

Note that not supporting multiple channel lineups is a Plex limitation, not an HDHomeRun limitation. Multiple HDHomeRun devices receiving channels from different signal sources work fine in most other DVR apps, including the HDHomeRun DVR, WMC, NextPVR, MythTV, and others.

pegasus9

Postby pegasus9 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:05 am

Mediaman: Thanks for moving this to a more appropriate section.
Last edited by pegasus9 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

pegasus9

Re: Mix & Match HDHomeRuns On Plex

Postby pegasus9 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 am

I will try the cross-mapping to see if that works first, failing that I could always stand up another server. I also have the DVR service for HDHomeRun and could use that for local channels, allowing Plex to read the results. I am trying to keep things in one program to keep the family from having to deal with multiple UIs and programs. Due to the sheer glut of channels available, I really wish SD's software had an option for a grid view to make it more practical.

Not really sure I need 5 tuners worth of capability, but I hate it when I have to shelve a relatively new piece of equipment (plus the antenna and the rest) because of a situation change.

comet48

Re: Mix & Match HDHomeRuns With Plex

Postby comet48 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 am

I have both cable and OTA - works fine. In bay area. Just add the cable first.

pegasus9

Re: Mix & Match HDHomeRuns With Plex

Postby pegasus9 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Will give it a try -- have both hooked up now.

Return to “Third Party Software”