DLNA playback vs. HDHomerun App disparity

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jimmysprinkles92

DLNA playback vs. HDHomerun App disparity

Postby jimmysprinkles92 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 am

Equipment
  • HDHomerun PRIME (Firmware: 20170930)
  • Vizio P65-e1
  • Chromecast 2nd gen
  • Mibox 3 Android TV
  • BubbleUPNP android app for controlling DLNA
I am trying to utilize the DLNA feature of the HDHomerun PRIME as it is easier to work with on devices such as the vizio TV and chromecast which don't allow for installation of apps. The Mibox3 Android TV does allow for installation of apps so this gave me a good benchmark where I could compare the DLNA stream quality vs. using the HDHomerun app directly on the box. Using the App on both my personal android device and the Mibox3 TV gave me fine results on a WiFi connection for SD and HD streams but using DLNA via the BubbleUPNP app on my phone to cast to Mibox3, Vizio, and Chromecast all yielded very choppy and unwatchable streams. This leads me to believe it isn't a network problem as I believe the BubbleUPNP app is simply communicating to the target device what URL to stream from meaning I should expect the same streaming performance using DLNA and the HDHomerun app on the mibox3 (at least as far as network performance).

Is there anything else as far as codecs / other settings that would cause the DLNA stream quality to be much worse than using the app directly? I'd rather not purchase android TVs / other boxes for my already-smart-enabled devices.

signcarver
Expert

Re: DLNA playback vs. HDHomerun App disparity

Postby signcarver » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 am

Take bubbleupnp out of the picture unless wired. The reason i had to use it was that many tv's have very poor implementation of dlna when it comes to live streams as they don't honor the no range tag requirement of live streams thus the tuner would reject their requests. Using bubbleupnp as an intermediary got me around this issue.

jimmysprinkles92

Postby jimmysprinkles92 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:54 am

Hmm I don't think the TV I'm using has a DLNA client built in. But I have the TV on a wired connection and the Mibox3 (attached to different dumb TV) on a WiFi connection. DLNA casting from BubbleUPNP is choppy on both while meanwhile using the HDHomerun app on the Mibox3 works flawlessly.

I would think that DLNA casting to a wired smart TV should definitely work better than using the app on a WiFi device.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Well the issue probably is that the DLNA path [ethernet/wifi/usb] in the TV does not have access to certain codecs that may reside elsewhere in the TV like ones the RF input path does. It also could be that any processor for DLNA use is not strong enough. DLNA was not originally designed to deal with TV streams. No one was thinking of streaming TV via network then. Rather camcorders and camera codecs. The Mibox has the codecs in the OS for an app to use TV streams. The HDHR app uses them then sends it to the TV via HDMI path where the TV probably isn't doing much code work at all.

jimmysprinkles92

Postby jimmysprinkles92 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Do you have any additional information on the codecs used from the HDHomerunPrime? I still find it curious that using the app on the Mibox works fine but using DLNA and casting to the Mibox does not unless the cast receiver on the Mibox is only exposed to a limited set of codecs.

I guess what I need to understand is if the codec that the HDHomerunPrime uses over DLNA is directly supported by the chromecast receiver (which is the same software being used by Vizio and Mibox with DLNA) otherwise it's likely I have transcoding happening with DLNA but not when using the app.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Primarily MPEG2.ts is the main codec used in broadcast TV but also MPEG4.ts is active in cable. Chromecast operates in a "sandbox" [?] from what I remember reading and I think that it rejects endless streams? Probably wrong about that but can not find any notes on it at the moment.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 am

I don't think Chromecast has any MPEG2 capability. So, OP's problem might be it relies on the phone app to do the conversion on the fly.

Chromecast device is useless, IMO. Two much limitation and too dependent on other devices and network support. I have one and it is sitting in the drawer. I like Android TV devices better. It was much more useful (can be used stand alone and can install apps).

For most of my use cases, YouTube viewing, I can use phone cast directly to smart TVs or BD players that have built-in YouTube players. No Chromecast or Android TV boxes required.

Return to “Third Party Software”