Google Live Channels ChannelMaster Stream+

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Neptunetides1983

Google Live Channels ChannelMaster Stream+

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm

I am currently using the Stream+, with Android TV 7 OS. This device has built in tuners, and primarily uses Google Live Channels for OTA Live TV and DVR features. This works well in my current situation as it requires no monthly fees for Guide or DVR.

I am considering purchasing an HD Homerun Network Tuner to expand its capabilities. Has any forum member had experience using the HD Homerun with the Stream+ ?

I assume that if the Stream+ doesn't allow me to use it through the Google Live Channels app, I could at least install the HD Homerun app from Google Play Store and watch additional OTA broadcasts when the Dual internal tuners are occupied recording.

Any advice or options are appreciated.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Google Live Channels ChannelMaster Stream+

Postby jasonl » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Once the HDHomeRun app is installed, you can watch live either using it directly, or using it as a source in Live Channels.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks, I received my Connect this week. Just as you mentioned it works within the app, and within Live Channels to view OTA channels.

It seems that ChannelMaster has blocked external tuners from being Recorded in Live Channels. It treats my HDHomerun like a streaming source. I’m not surprised by that, they most likely streamlined the app to avoid complications and make using their internal tuners easy to setup.

I just have to select my Stream+ channels to setup recordings, and use HDHomerun for viewing.

Thanks again.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:36 am

On another forum, a poster suggested that It may be possible to use the HDHomerun subscription DVR service with my Stream+ by formatting my external USB 3.0 drive as removable. I currently have it formatted as internal to use the Live Channels DVR service with the ChannelMaster internal tuners, which work well, I just like having options.

I have a supported sd card that I could use to record from Live Channels, if I decide to try formatting my USB drive to use Subscription DVR. One day when I'm bored I may give it a try.

I also found out that my Connect is also viewable on my Stream+ using the VLC app from Google Play Store. Again, I just like having options, and my HDHomerun Connect has so many.

I have a feeling I may purchase a second Connect real soon.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 pm

If you can use VLC you might try using Kodi. In HDHomerun Software Setup you will find the Kodi Community Development section with the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomerun DVR subscribers if you want to go that far.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:40 am

If you can use VLC you might try using Kodi. In HDHomerun Software Setup you will find the Kodi Community Development section with the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomerun DVR subscribers if you want to go that far.
Thanks,...I actually just setup an OSMC/(KODI) Vero on another set, just to verify any other options regarding my HDHomerun Connect. It has basically preset configurations for TVHeadend as well as TVH client which took about 15 minutes to set up, and actually record. As it runs KODI, I easily found the HDHomerun app and verified the quality of the streams were excellent.

From what I read though, and I admit I've just started messing with this so I may be wrong, the HDHomerun app on KODI won't let me use the USB ports on that device to set up DVR for the subscription service. I think I have to set it up on an always on PC or a supported nas, if I want to use the Subscription service, while the TVHeadend worked fine with my drive connected directly to my KODI device, which seems to be the case for everything except Android TV devices, which can set up the subscription DVR service to use a drive connected directly to its ports.

My Stream+ is a certified Android TV device and the USB drive connected is currently setup as internal memory to use with ChannelMaster internal tuner and DVR. It's possible that if I end up paying for the DVR subscription service, and, setup the drive as removable, when running the HDHomerun app It may work. ChannelMaster has something set up within Live Channels that prevents me from using the DVR feature with the HDHomerun tuners, but I don't think there should be a problem using the HDHomerun app if I have the drive setup as removable. I think in their efforts to create a stand alone device with built in tuners that was basically plug and play, they probably set it up to only recognise the internal tuners for DVR features.

Right now, I'm not needing to go that route. I'm glad I tried out the KODI TVHeadend option, but I'm doing ok with having the 2 internal tuners for recording, and the extra 2 HDHomerun for viewing within Live Channels, or even on Apple TV in the bedroom.

I am absolutely amazed with all of the options my Connect offers.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:03 pm

The HDHomeRun DVR will work with internal storage as well. External is just preferred since it lets you hook up the drive to a computer to transfer off the recordings if you need to reset the Android device. Internal storage is encrypted to the device and cannot be accessed by anything else.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm

I also found out that my Connect is also viewable on my Stream+ using the VLC app from Google Play Store. Again, I just like having options, and my HDHomerun Connect has so many.
SD makes it's OTA tuners to be a plug it and play it your way device as much as possible. :D 8-)

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:51 pm

The HDHomeRun DVR will work with internal storage as well. External is just preferred since it lets you hook up the drive to a computer to transfer off the recordings if you need to reset the Android device. Internal storage is encrypted to the device and cannot be accessed by anything else.
Ok. I would probably use external.
I appreciate all the advice and help. This is a well thought out device, and the "community" is very helpful/supportive.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm

SD makes it's OTA tuners to be a plug it and play it your way device as much as possible. :D 8-)
I'm seeing that. Thanks.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 am

I would just like to confirm a few things.

I subscribed to the HDHomerun DVR service this morning, and There was no problem using my USB 3.0 drive connected to the Stream+ USB 3.0 port. It was so easy to setup, I thought I missed something.

It should also be confirmed to HDHomerun Marketing staff, that even though I successfully setup a free DVR system using TVHeadend/KODI , I still decided to spend the money for the DVR service. Having free options put an HD Connect in my home, then the idea of having a 14 day guide and possibly a more reliable DVR feature sold itself.

I've had the Connect for less than 2 weeks, and the decision to order the DVR subscription happened in about 30 seconds this morning. I had setup a series recording of Kolchak the Nightslatker through TV Headend. It recorded perfectly but I wasn't sure if the next weeks episode was really setup to record, as the free guide only goes out 3-4 days. Within the next 10 minutes I already had Ordered the sub, received email, activated, set up my Stream+ And USB Hard drive, and began a recording.

I know in business meetings around the world every week the head honchos discuss marketing strategies , loss leaders etc. and just wanted to pass on that Silicon Dust has an effective one.

Thanks

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 am

It's been a little over a month since I purchased my HDHomerun Connect Duo, and added DVR subscription. I continue to be absolutely thrilled with the quality of the entire system.

Honestly, when I started researching which recording system I was going to use, HDHomerun appeared a little complicated. I don't have a PC that I could use for a server, and leave on 24/7. I have a great NAS, but it was not supported to run the HDHomerun recording engine, and although it's a bit old, there is no head to replace it.

So In the shorterm I purchased the standalone ChannelMaster Stream+. It has dual internal antennas, uses Live Channels for EPG Guide and DVR features. Essentially it covered my basic OTA DVR needs. But I kept hearing good things about HDHomerun, and I was beginning to realize the idea of not being able to archive my recording was worrying me. I took a chance, and purchased the Connect Duo, thinking at the very least, it would allow me to view 2 OTA channels when the Stream+ internal tuners were both recording.

It turns out, that the Stream+ is actually a great base for creating an HDHomerun system. No need for an always on PC or new NAS. Simply plug in a 500 GB USB 3.0 hard drive into the Stream+ USB 3.0 port, and setup a DVR subscription. The Nvidia Shield TV is obviously the top dog. I believe the Shield and Stream+ are the only 2 Google Certified Android TV devices that have USB 3.0 ports. Silicon Dust reccomends USB 3 for recording on external storage. I have a Prime for the day we return to cable, and the Stream+ has the qualifications to display DRM content when we make that switch.

For new customers looking for an easy and quick setup for HDHomerun DVR subscription, Nvidia Shield TV can't be beat, but consider the Stream+ as a viable option. I love my Stream+ / HDHomerun DVR system.

cralhr

Postby cralhr » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Did you have to switch to the HDHomerun app to get time shifting and recording support or did using the DVR allow you to perform those functions from the Live Channel app?

I'd love to be able to do everything in Live Channels because of the ease of use and native integration with the remote.

Return to “Third Party Software”