Media Center - One Channel Not Working

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
otauser

Media Center - One Channel Not Working

Postby otauser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 am

I have two HDHR4-2US tuners connected to one antenna. After an HD HomeRun 20170930 firmware upgrade, all of my previously working Windows Media Center computers fail to work on channel 40.1. All other channels work properly. Even channels 40.2 and 40.3 from the same station.

40.1 works OK with HDHR Viewer and with the CH16-3 link in HDHR Setup. 40.1 also works on Android devices with HDHR installed.

On all of my WMC installations 40.1 blinks in and out. But when it blinks in, you can hear the audio from 40.3 and sometimes get a frame or two of video from 40.3.

I've worked through a lot of WMC problems in the past but this one has me stumped. I've gone through a complete WMC "Set Up TV Signal", deleted all channels and Scan again, power cycled the tuners. I'm out of troubleshooting ideas and hoping that somebody has something I can try to move forward on this problem. Thanks!

foxbat121

Re: Media Center - One Channel Not Working

Postby foxbat121 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 am

It could be the guide maps the channel to the wrong frequency or channel number. When you edit the channel in WMC, check the channel source (IIRC) to make sure it is on the correct frequency or channel number.

What is CH16-3 link? Is channel 40.1 really channel 16.3? If so, you need to make that channel source change in WMC.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm

First thing would definitely be to check the channel sources. Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels > 40.1 and see what it has listed at the bottom. Compare that to 40.2 and 40.3 and see if there are extras, and if so, disable the extras.

otauser

Postby otauser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks jasonl for the reply.

Channel sources look ok to me.
40.1 -->all sources are 16.1 (mostly a black screen with 40.3 audio and video intermittently blipping in/out)
40.2 -->all sources are 16.2 (this channel works correctly)
40.3 -->all sources are 16.3 (this channel works correctly)

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Can you record a 30 second capture of the affected channel so we can take a look at it? Open a command prompt and run:

Code: Select all

cd "%userprofile%\desktop" "%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid set /tuner0/channel 16 "%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid set /tuner0/filter 0x0-0x1fff "%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid save /tuner0 ch16.ts
Substitute the device ID for one of your devices in place of deviceid. Let the last command run for about 30 seconds, then press control-c to stop it. Upload the file to the storage site of your choice (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and reply back with a link to it and we'll take a look.

otauser

Postby otauser » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 am

jasonl,
I hope the information in this google drive folder helps explain the problem.
Thanks

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Everything looks normal in the channel info. Try removing and re-adding the channel. In WMC, go into Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels > uncheck 40.1 > Save > Add Missing Channels > Add DTV Channel > 40.1 > 16 > give it a name > Add. Then see if it works. If so, go back to Edit Channels, select the channel, then add the listing for it. Choose not to merge if it asks.

otauser

Postby otauser » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm

jasonl,
I unchecked and added the channel but I get the same results.

Here's something odd. Earlier today, 40.3 programming displayed on 40.1 without blinking in/out for a while (about 30 minutes). I checked later and it was back to the blinking in/out audio/video that you see in the video of my Google drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mK4Cu ... kjbdbjIxvF

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Close WMC, open HDHomeRun Setup, and change the BDA compatibility mode to Default, and click OK. Wait 30 seconds, then open WMC and see if the issue persists.

otauser

Postby otauser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:42 am

Changing BDA to Default did not make any difference.

I have a spare single tuner HDHR so I thought I would try it. I unplugged my two dual tuners and connected my spare thinking I could test with old firmware. Unfortunately as soon as I ran HDHR Setup it updated the firmware. I posted a video in my Google drive of this test. This morning 40.3 is showing up on 40.1 without blinking in/out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mK4Cu ... kjbdbjIxvF

otauser

Postby otauser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 am

All five of my Windows 7 computers are experiencing this same problem.

I'm currently considering two actions:
1. Take my W7 laptop and an HDHR tuner to a neighbor's house and test it there.

2. Purchase another brand of tuner (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084 ... _qh_dp_hza )
and test it for this problem.

otauser

Postby otauser » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 pm

I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q USB TV Tuner on eBay. I removed the HD HomeRun program from my Windows 7 laptop. Then I installed the WinTV driver and tuner. The behavior is the same. Same weird behavior on the same channel with Windows Media Center.

otauser

Postby otauser » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:02 am

A couple weeks ago I happened to notice that the errant channel 40.1 started working properly with Media Center. I made no changes to the HDHR tuners or my computers. All my Windows Media Center computers just started receiving the channel correctly. I have no clue what happened. I am now wondering if something was out of whack at the TV station.

Return to “Third Party Software”