Prime is more like 1 or 2 tuners nowadays in WMC

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Prime is more like 1 or 2 tuners nowadays in WMC

Postby jasonl » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Your WMC has lost its mind. What happens is it sets everything up to begin streaming the channel, but then never actually tells the HDHomeRun to tune the channel. Usually when it gets to this point, you have to wipe the WMC database and start over.

1) Reboot the PC

2) Open Services management (right click on Computer, choose Manage, expand Services and Application and click on Services)

3) Locate the Windows Media Center services, and if either are running, right click and choose Stop

4) Locate Windows Search, and right click on it and choose Stop

5) Navigate to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft and delete the eHome folder in it, or just move it somewhere else if you want to keep a backup just in case. Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder, so either type in the path as listed, or enable the showing of hidden files/folders.

6) Open WMC and go through the setup wizard

You'll need to redo most of your settings, including scheduled recordings and such, so make sure to make a note of everything you need to recreate before starting.

dhar8923084

Postby dhar8923084 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:05 am

Oh well. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks.

dhar8923084

Postby dhar8923084 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 pm

It's been a couple of weeks since I wiped the WMC database and started over as suggested. The problem is gone. The only difference is that I now consistently get the exclamation point notification icon when recordings begin, but it's spurious, as the recordings always start within a few seconds.

dhar8923084

Postby dhar8923084 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:53 am

Spoke almost 2 weeks too soon. The problem happened again this morning. There seems to be something especially bad about Monday mornings after rebooting over the weekend.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Does live TV work after the reboot?

dhar8923084

Postby dhar8923084 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes, I did watch some Live TV between the reboot and the scheduled recording this morning. It was fine, but when I found the recording had failed this morning, I couldn't tune any channels, and I ended up stopping/starting ehrecvr to correct the problem.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I think you're getting to that point where it's time to back up your data and find your Windows disc. I don't see any explanation for why WMC is losing the tuners.

boldcab

Postby boldcab » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:23 pm

I would like to note that I am seeing the exact same scenario here. How many others?

whistle pig

Postby whistle pig » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 pm

I would like to note that I am seeing the exact same scenario here. How many others?
Yeah, this sounds pretty familiar. I've had similar issues the past few weeks. I've noticed "No TV Signal was present." errors off and on for months, but the programs usually recorded anyway. Then I had a period of about 10 days with no successful recordings at all. I restarted and set up the TV signal again in WMC and it worked a couple of times, but it's giving errors again now. :( Not looking forward to troubleshooting this, tbh.

danp

Postby danp » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:05 pm

I have had same problem. Things working fine, then scheduled recordings fail, no live channels, reboot fixes things for a while. Rinse repeat. Then it seems problem went quiescent, only to resurface just recently.

One thing I have done is install Malwarebytes. I also had this AV running before, but had uninstalled it. Problem could be correlated.

Could this AV cause this problem?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 pm

I have seen MBAM cause such issues if its Active (automatic) network feature was ever activated (not good enough to turn it off, had to be removed and never enabled the feature... their model has since changed that all get such in the free trial so haven't checked lately if it is possible to not even install the feature)

whistle pig

Postby whistle pig » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:03 pm

I don't have MalwareBytes on this computer. I use Avira, but I've been meaning to try Security Essentials for a while now, so I guess it's worth a shot.

I have noticed Media Center pop-ups in the system tray saying "Last update was not successful." Maybe AV is interfering with them?

danp

Postby danp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I let my media PC sleep. So I reasoned that when PC woke up to record, that MBAM started up as well to do a scan. I changed options to delay start 30 secs, IIRC, and lower priority. Havent dropped a tuner since. Might try to to schedule it to run early morning.

I recall having a problem with Win updates fighting with media center when PC woke up. Used to leave PC running 24/7 to keep things running smooth. Wish I could remember what the heck I did to fix that. Telling updates to run in AM didn't keep conflict from happening.

Getting to old for this.

Return to “Third Party Software”