InstaTV for iPhone/iPad/AppleTV with DVR Support

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Re: InstaTV for iOS/tvOS Beta (iPhone/iPad/AppleTV)+DVR Supp

Post by DebbieFL33 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 am

InstaTV Support wrote:If you use an iPhone/iPad, InstaTV beta will soon support recording scheduling, including the ChannelOnly option.
Copied from a posting in main SiliconDust DVR section.

Fanatastic Addition.

rcgfl

Post by rcgfl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:49 pm

For the latest beta, on several of my recordings, when I FF the time bar jumps 1 minute ahead as does the audio, but the video remains frozen. On these same recordings (not all), scrubbing has the same effect. Retuning the time bar to the beginning of the recording causes the program to exit. On recordings where the video does appropriately skip ahead, the video remains pixelated for several seconds, presumably until an appropriate amount of buffer is present?

InstaTV Support

Post by InstaTV Support » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:50 pm

rcgfl wrote:For the latest beta, on several of my recordings, when I FF the time bar jumps 1 minute ahead as does the audio, but the video remains frozen. On these same recordings (not all), scrubbing has the same effect. Retuning the time bar to the beginning of the recording causes the program to exit. On recordings where the video does appropriately skip ahead, the video remains pixelated for several seconds, presumably until an appropriate amount of buffer is present?
Problem acknowledged. We will fix this in next update with DVR scheduling support.(ETA End of Aug)

Hippykiller2016

Post by Hippykiller2016 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 am

How do I get in on this DVR Beta? Or has it now been released on the TVOS App Store?
Already have the SD DVR backend running on a WD 2T my cloud NAS and have a HDHR connect. I'm in the UK if that matters at all. Been using Channels previously but they are pulling further UK DVR development UFN, so time for me to look else where.
Also the SD UK guide data can really suck ass at times (sorry SD, but it does) . Is there anything I can do to help support its improvement? Even if it means me logging in somewhere and updating databases where this guide data info is drawn from?

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:09 am

Hippykiller2016 wrote:How do I get in on this DVR Beta? Or has it now been released on the TVOS App Store?
Already have the SD DVR backend running on a WD 2T my cloud NAS and have a HDHR connect. I'm in the UK if that matters at all. Been using Channels previously but they are pulling further UK DVR development UFN, so time for me to look else where.
Also the SD UK guide data can really suck ass at times (sorry SD, but it does) . Is there anything I can do to help support its improvement? Even if it means me logging in somewhere and updating databases where this guide data info is drawn from?
Does your comment about SD UK guide data imply you are using InstaTV Pro on an iPad? If so what is your experience regarding audio support in it? A lot of UK/European users found that whereas v2.6 worked by itself v3 suddenly started saying you had to buy the audio add-on. Unfortunately InstaTV have repeatedly failed to clarify what audio formats this add-on supports so we don't know if it will solve this problem. If it would then we would be more willing to pay for it.

Regarding guide data in InstaTV Pro, for v2.6 the only solution was to setup a web-server hosting a zipped XMLTV file. The quality therefore depends on your XMLTV source. I used a Windows tool to extract the full DVB guide data and convert it to XMLTV it worked fine and this gave me 7days of data. For InstaTV Pro 3 and later it appears to use now & next data from the over the air broadcast i.e. again DVB guide data.

Hippykiller2016

Post by Hippykiller2016 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 am

Hi bud.

Yeh I'm running it on TVOS (v1.5something) and on an iOS 10 beta for the iPhone 6 I'm tunning v3.0.1.
Yeh I paid for the audio on iOS and it seems to work fine. No issues to speak of.
Both the apps (TVOS and iOS) seem to be pulling the guide info from SD servers, not the OTA transmissions. SD never provide info for UK channel Dave Ja Vu, yet its transmitted OTA as I pick it up on my TV's native guide.
The solution you speak of, will that work if I'm just running everything on a NAS?

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 am

Hippykiller2016 wrote:Hi bud.

Yeh I'm running it on TVOS (v1.5something) and on an iOS 10 beta for the iPhone 6 I'm tunning v3.0.1.
Yeh I paid for the audio on iOS and it seems to work fine. No issues to speak of.
Both the apps (TVOS and iOS) seem to be pulling the guide info from SD servers, not the OTA transmissions. SD never provide info for UK channel Dave Ja Vu, yet its transmitted OTA as I pick it up on my TV's native guide.
The solution you speak of, will that work if I'm just running everything on a NAS?
Sadly no, there are a couple of tools to extract EPG data from the DVB signal but they are Windows ones I use EPG Collector. Also currently InstaTV Pro 3 has removed the previous ability to use an XMLTV source, supposedly this will be restored at some stage according to the readme notes that accompanied v3 so even if you had a suitable XMLTV file you would not be able to use it. If/when they restore XMLTV support you could run EPG Collector on a Windows machine or even VM, and have the resulting Zipped XMLTV file served by the NAS acting as the web server. We will have to wait for them to restore XMLTV support.

Note: InstaTV Pro v 2.6 (since 3 cannot currently do it) is extremely fussy over the format of the XMLTV file, I even had to work directly with the author of EPG Collector to modify his program to produce a file that InstaTV Pro would accept.

Thanks for your feed back regarding sound and InstaTV Pro 3. This is what I suspected i.e. that they had deliberately removed sound support to force people to buy the add-on rendering the program itself purely trailware. I have no problem with this but they simply have not stated this and have repeatedly failed to answer such a simple question. As they also have completely failed to list what audio formats this add-on supports there was therefore the possibility it might not work in the UK in that it might have only supported US formats. I feel a lot more reassured that a fellow Brit has used it and found it works. Because of the incompetence of their support I had felt forced to downgrade back to v 2.6 which did and still does work perfectly with sound - thankfully I had a backup of v 2.6. I now can feel more confident about upgrading one of my iPads and buying the add-on and giving it a go.

Hippykiller2016

Post by Hippykiller2016 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:08 am

Stool, £10 is nothing when you consider Channels charges £30 for their app. I'm hoping the £10 is for a codec and not them just trying to make a few quid. The picture on InstaTV isn't as clear as Channels, in hoping the new codec will allow for more picture bandwidth and a sharper image, or they need to invest in a different media player entirely.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 pm

I think the InstaTV in-app fee is cover the license fees (+ a bit extra) for AC-3 audio only.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:13 pm

DebbieFL33 wrote:I think the InstaTV in-app fee is cover the license fees (+ a bit extra) for AC-3 audio only.
That's what I thought as well originally and this would have been consistent with the fact audio worked without this addon in v2.6. However the audio formats used in the UK are MPEG1 audio for standard definition channels, and HE-AAC for high definition channels, clearly neither is a Dolby standard and neither work in v3 or v3.01.

So while it might originally have been to charge for Dolby support it now seems to be to charge for any sound support.

I just wish they were upfront and honest about this so we know it is intended and not merely a mistake.

InstaTV Support

Post by InstaTV Support » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:23 am

jelockwood wrote:
DebbieFL33 wrote:I think the InstaTV in-app fee is cover the license fees (+ a bit extra) for AC-3 audio only.
That's what I thought as well originally and this would have been consistent with the fact audio worked without this addon in v2.6. However the audio formats used in the UK are MPEG1 audio for standard definition channels, and HE-AAC for high definition channels, clearly neither is a Dolby standard and neither work in v3 or v3.01.

So while it might originally have been to charge for Dolby support it now seems to be to charge for any sound support.

I just wish they were upfront and honest about this so we know it is intended and not merely a mistake.
The In-App Purchase covers mutiple items
- Software Development cost. This is the main cost. We don't do all the development for free. There are many many more improvements planned for both iOS and tvOS.
- AC3 for some iOS devices for some countries for some broadcasting formats.
- Other patents/technologies/services we may need to cover in the future (Hint: Protected Content :mrgreen: )

The AppStore does not offer an 'evaluation' or 'trial' version therefore we switched to Free app + IAP model.
Free app is there for evaluation. To get full feature, please pay.
The description for In-App Purchase only says about 'Audio/Video support', which isn't very clear. This message should be improved.

In the old version of InstaTV we accidentally enabled all audio for DVB users, this was a mistake.

Note: DVR Scheduling will be a free feature.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 am

InstaTV Support wrote: The In-App Purchase covers mutiple items
- Software Development cost. This is the main cost. We don't do all the development for free. There are many many more improvements planned for both iOS and tvOS.
- AC3 for some iOS devices for some countries for some broadcasting formats.
- Other patents/technologies/services we may need to cover in the future (Hint: Protected Content :mrgreen: )

The AppStore does not offer an 'evaluation' or 'trial' version therefore we switched to Free app + IAP model.
Free app is there for evaluation. To get full feature, please pay.
The description for In-App Purchase only says about 'Audio/Video support', which isn't very clear. This message should be improved.

In the old version of InstaTV we accidentally enabled all audio for DVB users, this was a mistake.

Note: DVR Scheduling will be a free feature.
As I suspected, an intentional change but poorly communicated. Thank you for finally confirming this. I have no problems with you charging for it, it is still good value.

Any news on when XMLTV support will be restored?

squirrellydw

Post by squirrellydw » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:29 pm

you going to screw over your customers again and have them pay twice for the same app?

Damstas

Post by Damstas » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:43 am

Do you guys support DVB-subtitles in Apple TV and iOS-apps?

InstaTV Support

Post by InstaTV Support » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 am

squirrellydw wrote:you going to screw over your customers again and have them pay twice for the same app?
no, previous DVB users did not have to pay to use the app. Now they do.