Scheduling Channels - Without DVR Function

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
vince48

Scheduling Channels - Without DVR Function

Post by vince48 »

Greetings,
is there a way or app that will allow me to have my HDHomerun to schedule, change channels without using a DVR function? In other words, I want to schedule ABC news everyday @ 5:30 on local channel and switch to that channel without me physically doing this. I do not want to record, just view.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

socalman

Re: Scheduling Channels - Without DVR Function

Post by socalman »

VLC can do about anything.

Right click on channel number inside http.myhdhomerun and copy link.

Open VLC, click media, select open network stream, and paste.

Click box below "Show more options"

Set schedule.

Little complicated from here... Open task scheduler and configure it for recurring. GL

vince48

Post by vince48 »

well Lordy be, after all the "views" i thought I would never get a reply. Thank you. Just a few more questions if I can.

1. where is the "task scheduler" VLC or HDhomerun?
2. are there any VLC apps that i can install on my LG CX OLED that I can use?

Thanks in advance for your help

socalman

Post by socalman »

Are you using a hardware device such as Shield, Intel NUC attached on LG, or are you using HDHR app?

What HDHR product are you using?

I have a couple of LG's (WebOS) smart tv's too with RaspberryPi's running Liberelec OS, with HDHR-Prime (3 tuners). Since my RPi's are always on, streaming channels even when tv's are off.

I tested what you're were asking about, so I simply set timer (Settings > timer) on LG tv. Might use this myself for Bloomberg.

vince48

Post by vince48 »

happy Friday,
I'm using a Zidoo Z9x for my local media and ATV4K for my streaming. I running a HDHR Connect 4K

socalman

Post by socalman »

Are you using Kodi app & PVR client (Zoltan's PVR HDHR client) with your Zidoo Z9x ? (I am unsure if Kodi, or it's PVR clients work with HDHR Connect 4k)

Or,

HDHR native app ?

Are you powering down both Zidoo & ATV (Uses CEC) with remotes from those devices, or the LG remote?

Unrelated to your request- On your ATV4K, have you tried using Channels app for viewing your Connect 4K ?

Way I see it. With just using your LG remote powering TV on/off, choose either device that streams content from Connect 4k and leave it running. Then just use LG timer function.

vince48

Post by vince48 »

I tried Kodi 19 and the HDHR app on my Z9x and the auto scheduling did not work. It would give me a message, but not switch to that channel. Besides, the Z9x is a excellent media player . but not the "go to" device for apps.

I do have the native HDHR app on my CX, but i never used it with the CX time scheduler, it does not see the HDHR channels only the its internal tuner. I will try the "channels app" on the ATV4K and see if it works, but I believe it is only for the DVR function?

Happy 4th and a safe one

vince48

Post by vince48 »

I'm not sure how you are seeing the HDHR channels with the LG scheduler? can you explain that, please

socalman

Post by socalman »

I'm not sure how you are seeing the HDHR channels with the LG scheduler? can you explain that, please
I'm not. LG/CX has an auto on/off feature.

My first response I had assumed for whatever reason we were discussing Windows10 task scheduler, and the fine tuning needed using VLC as a means of accomplishing your request. On a side note, VLC can also be configured as a crude DVR and using MS TS have it reoccurring. I digress...

I'm quite spoiled using HDHR Prime boxes with cable cards. Everything just works. My Apple products use the Apple store Channels app for TV (Free version, no DVR) from HDHR Primes. We live in an area without OTA reception.
I tried Kodi 19 and the HDHR app on my Z9x and the auto scheduling did not work. It would give me a message, but not switch to that channel.
Does PVR Client see your HDHR Connect ?
Z9x is a excellent media player
Sounds good! I poked around on it's forums and everyone seemed happy with it streaming local 4k content.

Back to your issue. Your LG/CX has a timer function like an alarm clock setting (See manual). Unfortunately in your case even once your LG/CX powers up you need to select the HDHR app then select desired channel, and since neither Z9x or ATV4K see's your HDHR Connect 4K it wont work.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

vince48 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:36 am I tried Kodi 19 and the HDHR app on my Z9x and the auto scheduling did not work. It would give me a message, but not switch to that channel.
In Settings> PVR & Live TV> Reminders there is a setting to switch to the channel when closing the reminder popup. You might need to change the settings level from basic to standard or higher to see that menu item.

vince48

Post by vince48 »

Thanks Gent's,
Very much appreciate the advice and "try this". Looks like Kodi seems the be the the only viable solution and I give it another try. Stay safe and have a great week.

vince48

Post by vince48 »

ok, one last question, I got Kodi to work, thank you very much, my last question, is there any version of Kodi that is better to use for my HDHomerun 4K tuner?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

vince48 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 am ok, one last question, I got Kodi to work, thank you very much, my last question, is there any version of Kodi that is better to use for my HDHomerun 4K tuner?
Go with the latest stable version unless you need to use something that only works in an older version.

vince48

Post by vince48 »

Ok, gotcha, thanks Ken