HELP - WMC Sees Only 2 of 3 tuners in HDHomerun Prime

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Tedf

HELP - WMC Sees Only 2 of 3 tuners in HDHomerun Prime

Post by Tedf »

I have spent many hours trying to figure out why one of the three tuners has become invisible to and unusable by WMC. I have searched online for a solution. Windows can see all three tuners. So can HDHR Setup. 20210301. But WMC Settings - TV - TV Signal - Digital Tuner Diagnostics recognizes only 2 tuners. -1 and -2. -0 is missing and WMC cannot use it. The HDHR app has no difficulty using it. I can send you many more details but perhaps there is a simple solution I have overlooked in hours of reading your documentation and forum. Oh. I forgot to say that I had no trouble using three tuners for years before this problem suddenly appeared.

I opened a support ticket with Silicondust a week ago and received a message: "Your request has been assigned ticket #147334. A Silicondust representative will reply shortly." So far as I can tell, Silicondust has not contacted me since so I'm hoping someone on this board will have seen a problem like this. What surprises me is that Windows can still see three tuners, but WMC cannot. How can this be? :shock:

jasonl
Expert

Re: HELP - WMC Sees Only 2 of 3 tuners in HDHomerun Prime

Post by jasonl »

Have you rebooted and gone through the TV Signal setup wizard? WMC usually gets cranky like that if it tries to access a tuner and encounters an error, usually due to the tuner being in use by something else. One or the other of a reboot or going through setup again will usually knock some sense back into it. Just make sure that nothing is using any tuner when you do that.

Tedf

Post by Tedf »

Thanks, jasonl. The TV signal setup wizard found 3 tuners and WMC is functional.
A few points for someone who comes across this thread because they have a similar problem:
1. When I ran the TV signal setup wizard, I got messages saying I had to contact my cable company. I ignored these to see if that was really necessary.
2. When I got to the end of the wizard, I got a spinning donut for over five minutes and almost gave up hope, but the process finished.
3. At that point, I went to the TV guide to see if I could access 3 channels simultaneously and found the listings gone. No information on any channel.
4. Like most WMC users, I have been using EPG123 as my program guide. It's possible that the reason my listings had disappeared is because running setup had severed the connection to EPG123. I noticed in some EPG123 documentation that answering yes to accept Microsoft licensing during the Signal Setup could screw something up for EPG123. Maybe that was a problem, maybe not. I just plowed through the Wizard without responding to any of the questions except to say Next.
5. My EPG123 software was out of date, so I just downloaded the latest EPG123 software and installed it on top of my old EPG123.
6. All of the apparent channel selection appeared to disappear. I haven't touched EPG123 in years so ....
7. I shut down EPG123, reentered, and then proceeded to match stations by #number (a button on the EPG123 control panel).
8. Magic. Everything started to work. My channel listings were all repopulated in WMC. My scheduled recordings are all fine. And I could record two channels and view a third at the same time.
I wish HDHomerun Prime was more of an appliance and less of a hobby, but it's great that jasonl is still on the case! :D

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Microsoft killing WMC was one of the worst decisions they ever made. They stopped development just when it was needed most as multi-tuner CableCARD devices became available and cord cutting became a thing.