m3u?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Post Reply
Sammy2
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

m3u?

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Can an m3u be extracted from the stream output by the Connect Quattrif

If yes, how?

rpcameron
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 am

Re: m3u?

Post by rpcameron » Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm
Can an m3u be extracted from the stream output by the Connect Quattrif

If yes, how?
In short, no.

If you want a playlist, you must create it yourself.

signcarver
Expert
Posts: 8137
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 am
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: m3u?

Post by signcarver » Sat May 11, 2019 7:45 am

Why the 2 threads... (responding here since there is a reply, perhaps you meant to edit quatro)

Generally no such info is in the stream (which is what you asked). Though there may be some areas where some guide information is in the stream but generally not enough for such list as well as the needed url to play it. In such data best one could hope for is a channel number which hopefully matches a virtual channel number the tuner has.

What i suspect you are looking for is that from the device one can retrieve the lineup.json and parse it for the URLs, many m3u "players" may use other various "comments" that may be populated by other fields of the channel but the only requirement is the url to play the channel. I believe it would take less than 5 minutes to write a javascript based web page to make such basic file (a bit longer if you would like some choices for additional fields and make it look nicer, also to decide what to do with multiple devices such as choose unique channels, and or offer a way to prune the list)... i would do it myself but am away from tuners for a few more days.

If you are looking for more than channel information (i.e. guide/now playing data) it is possible but since SD has not publicly published the guide api, i generally wont share such, the other part of that is data goes stale so such playlist isn't valid for long.

Sammy2
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

Re: m3u?

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:15 am

signcarver wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:45 am
Why the 2 threads... (responding here since there is a reply, perhaps you meant to edit quatro)

Generally no such info is in the stream (which is what you asked). Though there may be some areas where some guide information is in the stream but generally not enough for such list as well as the needed url to play it. In such data best one could hope for is a channel number which hopefully matches a virtual channel number the tuner has.

What i suspect you are looking for is that from the device one can retrieve the lineup.json and parse it for the URLs, many m3u "players" may use other various "comments" that may be populated by other fields of the channel but the only requirement is the url to play the channel. I believe it would take less than 5 minutes to write a javascript based web page to make such basic file (a bit longer if you would like some choices for additional fields and make it look nicer, also to decide what to do with multiple devices such as choose unique channels, and or offer a way to prune the list)... i would do it myself but am away from tuners for a few more days.

If you are looking for more than channel information (i.e. guide/now playing data) it is possible but since SD has not publicly published the guide api, i generally wont share such, the other part of that is data goes stale so such playlist isn't valid for long.
Two Threads.. My phone was screwing up. Sorry.

To be more specific, I'd like to put my tuners into xTeVe so I can use a m3u and xmltv guide to edit/modify channel numbers in the guide seen in Emby along with another thing that I probably ought not discuss here.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13829
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: m3u?

Post by jasonl » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

The easiest way to generate an m3u list with all your channels is to go into VLC's playlist > Universal Plug'n'Play > double click the HDHomeRun DMS > double click Channels > right click on Channels and Add to playlist. Then go into Media > Save playlist to file. Whether that will work for your intended application I don't know.

Sammy2
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

Re: m3u?

Post by Sammy2 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm
The easiest way to generate an m3u list with all your channels is to go into VLC's playlist > Universal Plug'n'Play > double click the HDHomeRun DMS > double click Channels > right click on Channels and Add to playlist. Then go into Media > Save playlist to file. Whether that will work for your intended application I don't know.
I can do this. As long as I don't change the channel list in the HDHomeRun web app the m3u playlist will stay the same, right?

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13829
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: m3u?

Post by jasonl » Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm

All the URLs are in the same format (http://device.ip.address:5004/auto/v### where ### is the virtual channel number, so 5.1 or 82 or whatever), so as long as the device's IP remains the same and the channel number is one the HDHomeRun knows about, the list should remain usable. You can edit the m3u file by hand if you want to add/remove/change the entries.

Sammy2
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

Re: m3u?

Post by Sammy2 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 am

jasonl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm
All the URLs are in the same format (http://device.ip.address:5004/auto/v### where ### is the virtual channel number, so 5.1 or 82 or whatever), so as long as the device's IP remains the same and the channel number is one the HDHomeRun knows about, the list should remain usable. You can edit the m3u file by hand if you want to add/remove/change the entries.
I'd like to import into xTeVe then edit the channel numbers there but is there another way?

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13829
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: m3u?

Post by jasonl » Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm

No idea. I've never used that program.

Post Reply