DRM enabled in Nashville on HD premium channels...again

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
delvirtud

DRM enabled in Nashville on HD premium channels...again

Postby delvirtud » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 am

I had several posts years ago regarding this. Several people did, but it seems that they have been deleted. I digress.
Comcast Xfinity has enabled DRM on premium channels (at least HBO, which is what I have) in Nashville. They did it years ago, but caused many issues so they reverted it. My setup that has run flawlessly over 10 years is WIN7 Windows Media Center with Xbox 360 boxes to view TV. I have 2 of the older HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners total) with 2 Motorola CableCards from Comcast. As of Wednesday, December 5, 2018, DRM has been enabled and the same issues are back with choppy, freezing video. I am not sure there many people running this archaic setup to complain to them to make a difference. I am wondering if there are. There used to be several people in the Nashville market in this forum and we would compare notes, progress, etc., but again, my old posts were deleted so I do not remember who they are.
Long story short, is there anybody out there?

del

gtb
Expert

Re: DRM enabled in Nashville on HD premium channels...again

Postby gtb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:23 pm

I had several posts years ago regarding this. Several people did, but it seems that they have been deleted.
Probably expired (all posts get auto-removed after aging out).
Comcast Xfinity has enabled DRM on premium channels (at least HBO, which is what I have) in Nashville.
They do that in most areas.
My setup that has run flawlessly over 10 years is WIN7 Windows Media Center with Xbox 360 boxes to view TV
It is well understood that protected path requirements and the old XB360's do no do MPEG4 decoding correctly (and Comcast has moved to MPEG4 for everything other than the local OTAs in most markets). It reportedly does work on the WMC system display itself (if your GPU and Display properly support HDCP). Microsoft either could not, or has decided not to (as W7/WMC is no longer undergoing anything more than security fixes) address the issue with their extender tech on the XB360s.

As I understand it, basically, you are SOL with WMC and the XB360's.

delvirtud

Postby delvirtud » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:25 am

Thank you for your insight. I knew sooner or later, my luck would run out with the Xbox 360s and with further testing, it does seem to be just them and just the DRMed HD HBOs. I would love to replace all 6 of them with Nvidia Shields, but that is not feasible at this time. Does anyone have any recommendations for a device that will support the HDHomerun app that is on the cheaper side? Yes, i have done my research and am aware of some but sometimes users seem to come up with some ideas that are functional but not widely adopted. If only Plex could play protected content, I think all my problems would be solved.
Cheers and thanks again for any input.

del

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 pm

The Xiaomi MiBox S ($60 at Walmart) and Jetstream Android TV ($70 at Walmart) would be the least expensive devices that can connect to a TV and play DRM channels.

delvirtud

Postby delvirtud » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am

The Xiaomi MiBox S ($60 at Walmart) and Jetstream Android TV ($70 at Walmart) would be the least expensive devices that can connect to a TV and play DRM channels.
Thanks, was looking at the MiBox S. Was at $39 at Walmart, but reviews are horrible for it. No knowledge on the Jetstream, but will look into it.
Ended up grabbing an Nvidia Shield on AMZN for $130.
Cheers.
del

Return to “Third Party Software”