Jetstream 4K Ultra

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jseymour

Jetstream 4K Ultra

Postby jseymour » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am

Given there seems to be more interest in Jetstream 4K Ultra than the actual subject of the thread, the New model MiBox Available Nov. 1st from Walmart, I thought I'd start a thread about it here.

Question I have is does the Jetbox 4K Ultra properly down-mix/transcode/whatever DD+ -> DD to the TOSLINK port?

So far only the Amazon FireTVs and Apple TVs have done that properly. Or at all. And they don't have S/PDIF outputs.

clarkss12

Re: Jetstream 4K Ultra

Postby clarkss12 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am

FYI, went to pay a Netflix video, and go the message unable to pay this video at this time, try again later. Called tech support at Netflix, he had me remove power from my box and wait a minute before restoring power. After a reboot of my box, Netflix worked like a charm.

As a test, I also tried to play the same Netflix video using my Xiaomi Mibox, and it played perfectly, so the issue was directly related to the Jetstream box.

This was the error code >> Netflix Error tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)
It typically points to information stored on your device that needs to be refreshed. Follow the troubleshooting steps for your device below to resolve the issue.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

My local Walmart had several Jetstream boxes, but no Mi boxes at all. I think the price on the shelf was for the old Mi box ($75.00). I had random display issues (screen would go white with multicolored snow) connected to my LG OLED TV. Not the cable as it is certified HDMI 2 / HDCP 2.2 and it works flawless with my UHD 3D bluray player. I really don't like the UI and the fact that Amazon can't be easily installed without jumping through hoops, I took it back to Walmart. I wasn't impressed with Live Channels either. The grid guide was nice, but still nothing like WMC ease of use. There is no way I would try to teach my 93 yr old mom to use it. She just barely understands HdHomeRun app after a year of using it full time.

Oarneb

Postby Oarneb » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I am enjoying the live channels so far but nothing to crazy impressive. Nicest feature is I can just got directly to the channel by number if I want.
I also downloaded the stream app and started to play some older PC games. It works pretty well.
Overall I am impressed by this little box.
Loading Prime does suck a little but I just used aptoid which made it pretty easy. Maybe the Amazon vs Google thing will be over eventually. If android tv gains popularity Amazon might just have to swallow their pride and make an app available for it.
I hope google doesn't drop android tv and continue to develop. It really has some great features.

sspell

Postby sspell » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm

The Jetstream is a good box what makes it better is a wired ethernet connection. Nothing like 2 or 3 TVs sucking up the wireless bandwidth for bad performance. Me I'm wired for ethernet in the home and only use the wireless for portable or little used devices. Why ethernet is a biggie ++.

clarkss12

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Interesting observation about the Ematic Jetstream 4K Ultra. While watching the election results on the PBS station (I am 99% positive it is broadcast in 1080i), the bottom streamer is very telling. Since the streamer is constant and going from right to left, I could test for micro stutters.

To set the basis, I watched the same channel with my antenna lead going directly into my Samsung 65" 4K TV and the streamer **flowed** flawlessly (like butter :)). So, with that image embedded into my memory bank, I then checked the **streamer**, using both my HDHomeRun app and my Emby app. Both servers are using my Connect tuner.

Using the HDHomeRun native app running on my Jetstream, there is a constant micro **jerkiness??**, but you have to be looking for it.
Tested it on my Xiaomi Mibox running on a different TV and same results as the the test on the Jetstream.

Tested it on my Main Windows PC and it seems to flow very smoothly.

Tested on my Tronsmart Ara X5, a $100 microPC, and had similar results as the Jetstream.

Using the Emby app running on my Jetstream, the **ticker tape**, is almost perfect, a very, very slight jerkiness every few seconds. Emby stats for nerds says the video is direct played.

Not sure why, but the Emby app running on different devices the **ticker tape** seems to run ALMOST flawlessly, not sure why.

hlt4668

Postby hlt4668 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Not liking the jetstream so far, it tanked hard when I tried to watch Live Channels. Totally crashed it once, then it froze 3 times, all in about a half hour.

sspell

Postby sspell » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Recently hooked my Jetstream to a 4k TV been performing great so far no crashes and very smooth. Also Netflix ultra 4k plays flawless. Had it on a 1080 TV and very good results there too it is hooked to ethernet. I have found the lower powered boxes struggle on WIFI. Far cry from how the MI Box performed. I also have 2 Nvidia Shields and the Jetstream is a close second to them in my opinion. Is yours on WIFI?

boukmandutty

Postby boukmandutty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

The following are IR commands that work on the Jetstream 4K Ultra using a Logitech Harmony set to output Vizo commands (VS-42L FHDTV10A)

If you have the time to experiment with the remotes you have and happen to get 4, 5, and 6, working please let me know which remote you used.

Vizio Remote ==>Jestream Command

Back ==>Toggle Power
MTS==> Home
Sleep ==> Mute
Right ==> Right
Guide ==> Left
Play ==> Up
OK ==> Up
Pause ==> Down (Only with TV app)
9 ==> Down (HD homerun)
INPUTAV ==> Google Play
Yellow ==> Pause/Play

Numbers
Left ==>0
3 ==>1
0 ==>2
1 ==>3
?? ==> 4
?? ==> 5
?? ==> 6
Audio ==>7
Power Toggle ==>8
Mute ==>9

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 am

received my jetstream yesterday
Tried it with both my LG 4K TVs (B6 and B7), an old Toshiba HD TV, and some LG monitors.
Wired connection in all locations

I like the small box. Is just a little smaller than the first and second gen Fire TV boxes (not the sticks), or Razer Forge TV.
Connections are a little strange with USB ports and microSD card slot on the side.. But it works
Overall looks well built, and well designed.. Until you power on and get an ugly red led. No attempt to make it subtle other than its behind the smoked plastic front. Stepping up to $0.05 cent surface mount led vs the $.01 solder in would have elevated it a little.
But otherwise it does look good, and comes with a decent enough HDMI cable (which I used only for testing).

The boot and remote pairing procedure was very straight forward and easy.. however, it took a while to get it setup.
For some reason when I would setup it wouldn't download updates or new apps from the play store
I used the setup via PC option for my google account
Because it was taking so long I tried several times to hard reset, power off/on, etc.. Nothing would get me to where it was downloading, and I couldn't stop the updates it was listing..
So after about 10mins I left it alone and went off doing something else for 30mins and came back, and it was then downloading/updating
Not sure what was taking the time on setup - looking at my pi-hole log only 2 DNS requests were denied, so something must just be taking a long time to run.

Anyway, once setup it runs flawlessly.
4K HDR content works really well with netflix and Vudu
HDHomeRun played all content from OTA (MPEG2 interlaced), Premium (AVC progressive) and DVR'd content exactly the same as the 2 Shields in the house.
Was seeing some micro-stutters on CBS initially when I was hooked up to a monitor which I can only guess is a 59.97 vs 60 Hz issue because it wasn't there on the TVs. No other channel had the issue (tried other ABC, Fox, NBC, etc) - so it's very possible it was something in the source content and was resolved by the time I switched to a TV as I couldn't replicate when going back to a monitor.

I like the remote. It's got a heft to it.
HDMI-CEC worked well with my Toshiba TV which doesn't have a receiver in the middle, so volume, etc worked.

Overall - this thing is just as good as the Shield for pretty much everything... although no Prime Video :(
Will try and side load it over the weekend. If it does side load this is a really good box and cheaper than a shield

leerandall

Postby leerandall » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 am

As a point of reference, demonrik, I had none of the setup issues you describe when setting up my Jetstream. Setup was as easy and quick as setting up my Shield Pro 2017.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 am

I just got mine yesterday and had same issues setting up... after an hour turned off automatic updates then the stop button worked. Then proceeded to do each manually (though had to search/install "my apps" as they got removed from the list)

CEC was working beautifully until i did a restart, now can't get it to work.... tried toggling cec on both device and tv, reseating hdmi, pulled plug on each, factory reset jetstream... can't seem to get it back. Other reviews stated it had no CEC, so was surprised i had it to begin with.

Picture is great even on my drm channels (DRM on all cable channels for me). There may have been a stutter or two on espn but i occasionally notice the same with STBs from the cable company and at times it felt more like i was trying to convince myself it was actually there rather than it actually being there. However when i was looking, no channel seemed to have the traditional ticker.

sspell

Postby sspell » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 am

Yea CEC is buggy I have noticed some things work others don't. App updates is another they keep showing grey and a line underneath and won't update. I have found when you see one needing updates go to the playstore, your apps, the ones needing updates will be listed. Cancel the update the do it again manually and they will update fine. This is a new box and some issue are to be expected. Hope Ematic will fix them said they would time will tell. As far as streaming it is very good.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 pm

received my jetstream yesterday

no Prime Video :(
Will try and side load it over the weekend. If it does side load this is a really good box and cheaper than a shield
Please post back version that you find works best for you. I have tried several, but just can't get one working flawlessly. There are occasional audio drop outs, that might not be noticible if I wasn't paying attention. This was when using the same version that is currently in the Shield, I had better luck with the previous one in Shield , (4.8.69 googleplay arm v7a).

Other than access to some Gaming apps, and lack of Prime app, this is my absolute fav second unit, behind Shield.

leerandall

Postby leerandall » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

The only thing that's bugging me about my Jetstream (I have Shield Pro 2017 as well) is that, when selecting a channel to watch in the HDHR app, using up and down on the remote, the channel highlight isn't very responsive. Sometimes it won't move until I've pressed up/down 2 or 3 times, then it jumps 2 or 3 channels all at once. In other words, the remote doesn't seem as responsive as my Shield remote. Has anyone else observed the same on their Jetstream and perhaps found a way to make it more responsive?

Return to “Third Party Software”