VLC Support/HDHomeRun Prime

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
cstadler

VLC Support/HDHomeRun Prime

Postby cstadler » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am

All,
I am looking to access my channels via VLC, I can use the format : http://192.168.1.14:5004/auto/v5, for example.
However, VLC will only play the non DRM (which is only about 2% of my channels), I have tried with the URL params suggested from : http://192.168.1.14/lineup.html. I do have my cablecard installed, and the stations do play via the HDHomerun App locally but not from VLC if they are DRM.

Example:
http://192.168.1.14:5004/auto/v10?CONTE ... 1PORT=8888
VLC doesnt ever respond.

Is there any way to make this work?

Thank you in advance,
-Craig

NYPlayer

Re: VLC Support/HDHomeRun Prime

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:22 pm

VLC is not capable of playing DRM.

cstadler

Postby cstadler » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Thank you NYPlayer, do you know if ccextractor or ffmpeg can ?

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Thank you NYPlayer, do you know if ccextractor or ffmpeg can ?
No the only things that can play DRM is WMC and HDHomeRun App on Windows 10 and XBOX.... also some Apple devices.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:58 pm

No the only things that can play DRM is WMC and HDHomeRun App on Windows 10 and XBOX.... also some Apple devices.
Did not the PS3 support DTCP-IP protected path playback (under at least some conditions)? And I have this vague recollection that someone said there was a BluRay player (maybe two?) that worked to. And was there not a DVD player app that did too? All niche solutions, though.

To the OP: Solutions that support protected path required content are few and far between because those solutions are required to (and need to be certified to) maintain the constraints on preventing you from accessing that content outside of the protected path. That typically means locked down code and OS functionality (i.e. typically FOSS software such as VLC is not going to work). It is expensive to initially develop, and it is expensive to insure that other changes do not impact those protections, and the liability for getting it wrong is huge. WMC and TiVo tried to make their solution better than most cable companies STBs, and while they may have arguably succeeded in some ways, their market share is still very small (the numbers vary between companies, but the CableCARD users are around 1% for each cable company). 1% may be a huge market for a smaller company, but is noise to someone like Microsoft (which is one reason they ended support in Windows 10), and TiVo has reportedly moved on more towards alternative revenue streams (referencing a subject that cannot be named) than substantial new hardware development.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:30 pm

I believe PowerDVD for or similar for Windows can play DTCP-IP content.

There are a couple of open source libraries out there for DTCP-IP, and there is some experimental open source driver work for Intel HDCP on Linux. So, technically there are some pieces available for making software that can fulfill the protected path requirements, but putting them all together in a functional manner is quite an undertaking with minimal returns.

Essentially, if your CableCARD content is DRM-flagged, your only real option (which includes recording) is the WMC route.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm

A DTCP-IP implementation is useless without keys, and an open source project would never be able to get keys. Even a closed source project would have trouble getting keys if they don't have sufficient assets, as the Channels people found out when they looked in to it. HDCP support on Linux wouldn't really mean anything since there's no security on the rest of the path, which would be required for DTCP.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm

HDCP support on Linux ...
.... appears to be all about Google's ambitions for their ChromeBooks, and is not intended to be a generalized solution for protected path content.

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

There are a couple of open source libraries out there for DTCP-IP
Pretty sure this is not the case. The only way to license a DTCP-IP implementation is by being a DTLA member.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm

The bulk of the DTCP specification is publicly available, though there are some bits that are only available after signing up. And of course, just having an implementation does nothing without having keys and certificates.

Return to “Third Party Software”