SiliconDust DVR or Plex DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
CEG3

SiliconDust DVR or Plex DVR

Postby CEG3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:59 am

Brand new user, brand new forum member. I apologize upfront for asking what must be a every tired old question by now. :D Which DVR service is generally considered better, HDHomerun or Plex? I am currently subscribed to Plex Pass for a month on a trial basis and it's working well, except when for reasons I can't figure out yet recordings fail. Plex DVR has auto commercial removal that I've experimented with, but I don't think HD's DVR software offers that yet, although the 30 second skip I think they both offer is fine and maybe preferable, since auto removing ads might create choppy transitions and content loss.

Any help is appreciated.

SJMaye

Re: SiliconDust DVR or Plex DVR

Postby SJMaye » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 am

Hi CEG3

Not to worry. I am in the same boat. You made a wise choice purchasing the Plex Pass for a month. I went ahead and purchased a Lifetime Pass and regret it sort of. As I said, I am in the exact same situation as you. Let me give you my take on Plex DVR VS HDHomerun DVR.

* Simplicity in design and function - Goes to HDHR. Plex interface looks like a visual database and recordings are not presented in a screen to themselves. They are dumped in to their database folder. So, you sift through your ripped DVD's etc. Not a big hassle, but why should you have to? HDHR they are right there under Recordings (as they should be)

* Stability- Undecided. New to HDHR, so I don't know. Plex has actually worked well for me accept on channels that come in too weak on my OTA antenna.

* Features - Goes to Plex. Ability to automatically strip commercials works pretty well for me. Automatic management of the number of recordings in Plex as compared to having to manually delete all recordings one-by-one in HDHR. FYI - I have heard that you can use MCE Buddy to remove commercials on HDHR recordings

* Live TV load times- Goes to HDHR. I am using an Nvidia Shield. The channels come up almost instantaneously. Plex is a little slower.

* Client apps - Goes to Plex with a caveat. Plex is available on almost all platforms- Android TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Samsung TVs ..... A huge list. However, all of these client apps are in differing stages of development. To my knowledge the only apps allowing you to set a recording are Android TV and Apple TV. If you are using the Roku client you cannot set anything to record. So, if you want to use Plex DVR on Roku you may be waiting for the client to be updated for this. In fact, my preferred setup would have been HDHR DVR on Roku, but that is not available and from what I understand may never happen.

My opinion - Each of the Plex DVR and HDHR have pros and cons. Depends on what you are looking for. If you really see yourself needing a media server to serve up your ripped DVDs, ripped CDs, Photos,...... Then Plex is for you. If you just want to have a DVR it looks like the HDHR DVR is a better choice.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue May 01, 2018 4:47 am

Plex interface looks like a visual database and recordings are not presented in a screen to themselves. They are dumped in to their database folder. So, you sift through your ripped DVD's etc. Not a big hassle, but why should you have to?
You don't have to. Set up a separate DVR library and tell Plex to put the recordings there.

SJMaye

Postby SJMaye » Tue May 01, 2018 5:17 am

You don't have to. Set up a separate DVR library and tell Plex to put the recordings there.
Great point, Ken. I thought about that after I wrote the response. I will give it a try. My biggest issue is the wife factor. She is used to the simplicity of Tivo and, before that, Windows Media Center. She couldn't give two hoots if I had a thousand ripped DVDs if she just wants to watch her soap opera.

Thanks for the thoughts.

SJMaye

Postby SJMaye » Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 am

Just went in to my Plex server. I created a new library for DVR recordings. I went to DVR settings. I see no way to direct Plex to output the files to that location.

Can you help?

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 am

You tell the DVR which library to use when you set up the recordings.
Last edited by Ken.F on Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CEG3

Postby CEG3 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:52 am

Hi CEG3

Not to worry. I am in the same boat. You made a wise choice purchasing the Plex Pass for a month. I went ahead and purchased a Lifetime Pass and regret it sort of. As I said, I am in the exact same situation as you. Let me give you my take on Plex DVR VS HDHomerun DVR.

* Simplicity in design and function - Goes to HDHR. Plex interface looks like a visual database and recordings are not presented in a screen to themselves. They are dumped in to their database folder. So, you sift through your ripped DVD's etc. Not a big hassle, but why should you have to? HDHR they are right there under Recordings (as they should be)

* Stability- Undecided. New to HDHR, so I don't know. Plex has actually worked well for me accept on channels that come in too weak on my OTA antenna.

* Features - Goes to Plex. Ability to automatically strip commercials works pretty well for me. Automatic management of the number of recordings in Plex as compared to having to manually delete all recordings one-by-one in HDHR. FYI - I have heard that you can use MCE Buddy to remove commercials on HDHR recordings

* Live TV load times- Goes to HDHR. I am using an Nvidia Shield. The channels come up almost instantaneously. Plex is a little slower.

* Client apps - Goes to Plex with a caveat. Plex is available on almost all platforms- Android TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Samsung TVs ..... A huge list. However, all of these client apps are in differing stages of development. To my knowledge the only apps allowing you to set a recording are Android TV and Apple TV. If you are using the Roku client you cannot set anything to record. So, if you want to use Plex DVR on Roku you may be waiting for the client to be updated for this. In fact, my preferred setup would have been HDHR DVR on Roku, but that is not available and from what I understand may never happen.

My opinion - Each of the Plex DVR and HDHR have pros and cons. Depends on what you are looking for. If you really see yourself needing a media server to serve up your ripped DVDs, ripped CDs, Photos,...... Then Plex is for you. If you just want to have a DVR it looks like the HDHR DVR is a better choice.
Thanks for taking the time! The only content I'm concerned with would be OTA recordings. I don't plan to rip any DVD's or etc. I wish HD had a 30 day plan, though I was told I could sign up and if I cancelled within 30 days I could get my money back, which is actually a pretty nice deal for sure. One thing I don't like about the live TV Plex interface is not being able to stay on the current screen and scroll through a guide.

Update: OH, I see now the HDHR DVR plan extends the guide to 14 days, which is huge.

fletchb1

Postby fletchb1 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Brand new user, brand new forum member. I apologize upfront for asking what must be a every tired old question by now. :D Which DVR service is generally considered better, HDHomerun or Plex? I am currently subscribed to Plex Pass for a month on a trial basis and it's working well, except when for reasons I can't figure out yet recordings fail. Plex DVR has auto commercial removal that I've experimented with, but I don't think HD's DVR software offers that yet, although the 30 second skip I think they both offer is fine and maybe preferable, since auto removing ads might create choppy transitions and content loss.

Any help is appreciated.
HDHomeRun - simply because plex was simply too slow (on shield) to be useful. The icons for the program guide would slowly load each time I wanted to see what's on and I don't consider that usable on a day to day basis. There were other issues but I can't remember now.
I have the lifetime plex pass and may try them again to see if it improves.

HDhomerun has issues too - The guilde data often gets scrambled and then you have to reload the app. It's done that from day one...but
other issues have been recently fixed where you would get end of stream errors . That last fix helped out a lot.

Also consider Kodi - it did have some pause/rewind issues but that was months ago and I think it is fixed now. It has the best guide as it is in grid format and also doesn't take a week to load like plex does.

CEG3

Postby CEG3 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm

I eventually decided I like the Plex DVR better and then decided it was all too labor intensive and decided to renew Hulu and have sold my HDHomerun. It's cool tech, but for me it took too much attention to make it work. If DVR service was free that might make the effort worth it to me, but Hulu isn't all that much more and it just works.

tdi-me

Postby tdi-me » Sat May 12, 2018 8:55 am

I was going to suggest giving emby a try out. I have been using it for several months now and it works very well with the hdhr tuners. It also supports watching live tv. In some ways its similar to plex, where its a server / client setup. Except that emby also does live tv. If you decide to give it another go give emby a try out.

Sammy2

Re: SiliconDust DVR or Plex DVR or WMC DVR or Emby DVR

Postby Sammy2 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am

I use mine with WMC, Plex and Emby. WMC is still the hands down winner for a DVR but it isn't portable.

I generally schedule recordings with Plex with Commercial Skip then place them in my TV Series library for both Emby and Plex to see as I use both apps. I also use the Emby Guide at times but it is only working on AndroidTV to my satisfaction at present.

Even though I put in $ on the HDHR PVR Kickstarter years ago, it never got to where I needed it to be fast enough and haven't used it (yet). I do not like that it is keeping all the data on SiliconDust's servers and would like a grid-style guide too. I may give it a look see soon though.

So there you have it.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm

I have the HDHomerun DVR and Plex running on my NAS … on my clients I use KODI with the unofficial HDHR Plugin and Plexkodiconnect that way I have 1 Interface to set recordings and View them nicely organized.... No need to use PLEX DVR as the way it is now it is unreliable.

fletchb1

Postby fletchb1 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:54 pm

I have the HDHomerun DVR and Plex running on my NAS … on my clients I use KODI with the unofficial HDHR Plugin and Plexkodiconnect that way I have 1 Interface to set recordings and View them nicely organized.... No need to use PLEX DVR as the way it is now it is unreliable.
2 ?'s:

Rewind/pause working ok with unofficial plugin now? I was having the best luck with it other than that issue.

PlexKodiConnect - This is for your local media and viewed via kodi right?

Thanks

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon May 14, 2018 4:58 pm

2 ?'s:

Rewind/pause working ok with unofficial plugin now? I was having the best luck with it other than that issue.

PlexKodiConnect - This is for your local media and viewed via kodi right?

Thanks
Yes I did not like using MYSQL … I needed to have different users so I added users to Plex and plexkodiconnects allows them to be used in kodi. I have not experienced rewind problems while watching recordings. Plexkodiconnect populates your plex data into KODI no need to add libraries to KODI. It also Syncs watched data when I use Plex away from home.

fletchb1

Postby fletchb1 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Very nice setup like that....

Thanks...

Return to “Third Party Software”