Channels for Android TV & Fire TV Now Available

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
tmm1

Channels for Android TV & Fire TV Now Available

Postby tmm1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 am

Today is a huge day for Channels. Today is the day it ventures out of the Apple ecosystem and into two great new ones.

Channels for Android TV and Fire TV are now available!

Channels has been a huge success on Apple TV and iOS devices for years. It has consistently been at the top of lists on the Apple TV App Store. Channels was the first app to truly put live TV on your streaming device using either your OTA TV signals or your cable package. It is the first app to really make cord cutting easy for everyone in the family.

Fans have asked for Android TV and Fire TV versions ever since the first release of Channels, and now, we're very excited that they're finally available.

Channels for Android TV and Fire TV provide the exact same live TV experience found on the Apple TV version. They have a full buffer, pause, rewind, and fast forward support. Everything that people have loved on the Apple TV version, now for these popular streaming boxes. These versions even have a little extra support for more keys found on some other remotes like Sony TVs. And they'll soon adopt more of the advanced features that these platforms support.

Channels for Android TV and Fire TV do not yet have support for Channels DVR, but they're guaranteed to get it later in the year.

Thanks so much to everyone that reached out and told us how much they wanted Channels for these platforms. And thanks to everyone that has been using Channels and giving us feedback through the last couple of years. We couldn't have done it without you.

So, go check out Channels living on its two new homes and let us know what you think!

Android TV: https://getchannels.com/androidtv
Fire TV: https://getchannels.com/firetv

ralpharch

Re: Channels for Android TV & Fire TV Now Available

Postby ralpharch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 am

Does this have anything to do /of any use to do with my HDHomerun.com installation (two primes and and NAS DVR engine)?

Not really interested in complicating things but if they are integrated somehow?

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am

Very cool! Keep up the good work. You're almost ahead of your time! :lol:

maddox

Postby maddox » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Does this have anything to do /of any use to do with my HDHomerun.com installation (two primes and and NAS DVR engine)?

Not really interested in complicating things but if they are integrated somehow?
Yeah, Channels uses HDHomeRuns. It's essentially an HDHomeRun client. It does not support HDHomeRun DVR though. Channels has it's own DVR you can add on to it. https://getchannels.com/dvr

ralpharch

Postby ralpharch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Actually my current setup is working so well no way I am changing over to use of my soon to be two Android 7.1 TV boxes w/o DRM. Those changes to Win10 app went extremely well today.
So my Win 10 apps are steady, solid. I finally figured out how to use the main tv computer to control volume via ARC HDMI to receiver so that headache is gone with good digital in. It was fun playing with the Android boxes and I still have an order in for a voice control remote box sitting in a warehouse in China. Maybe I can cancel that.

The only real issue I have now besides lack of DRM recording (limited to few Fox sports etc B1G10 channels) is the fairly frequent needs to address slice guide opening or the GUI getting into windowed versus Full screen whilst watching. I think this maybe caused by random mouse drifting enough to change screen mode. I have like 5 mousing devices all on at once so having to address this several times during an evening hopefully can be changed by reducing number of mousing inputs or the associated settings for mice.

hlt4668

Postby hlt4668 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

looks cool but $25? Seems like a lot when Live Channels is free

URPREY

Postby URPREY » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 am

The interface looks great, but until DRM is supported I really couldn't make proper use of it with my cable provider.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am

The interface looks great, but until DRM is supported I really couldn't make proper use of it with my cable provider.
Considering that DRM isn't supported in their iOS/tvOS apps, it's unlikely to make an appearance soon. If you want support now, the only real option is WMC as no other software supports recording DRM channels.

URPREY

Postby URPREY » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Considering that DRM isn't supported in their iOS/tvOS apps, it's unlikely to make an appearance soon. If you want support now, the only real option is WMC as no other software supports recording DRM channels.
Yeah, that's what I've been using for many years but I'd prefer to ditch the Xbox 360 extender hardware for something simpler.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been using for many years but I'd prefer to ditch the Xbox 360 extender hardware for something simpler.
Well, if you're still using WMC on Win7, you could always see if you can find some Ceton echos. (Although, I'm not sure how much "simpler" they are to Xbox extenders.)

ImNotSerious

Postby ImNotSerious » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:18 am

looks cool but $25? Seems like a lot when Live Channels is free
It may seem like a lot when compared against a $1 game app that works on volume, but this isn’t a high volume market. Silicondust is using the clients as loss leaders to support their hardware business.
Yeah, they have been straightforward about staying out of the DRM game and just focusing on everyone else. It’s been years since SD said they would have DRM thanks they still only have it on live and on one platform.

It is good to see the competition in the market.
Simple and elegant interface with grid guide, but no DRM. Uses its own DVR with a web interface and remote access and commercial marking, but only plays its own recordings- truely a DVR not a media library like plex. Higher costs

Plex - lots of clients, great media library, it’s own DVR, remote access, lots of different tuners. but a hunkering interface, no DRM and expects it to be the only one using the tuners, because who needs other solutions?

Silicon Dust, lots of clients, only solution for HDHR that will ever support DRM, after WMC. Low cost but oddly difficult interface.

mesostinky

Postby mesostinky » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't support anything but Fire TV 3 so the majority of the market can't use it. Also the $8 a month for the DVR is expensive. Plex is like $40 a year and that's an entire server and player and a million other things. They have the Grid EPG which is nice but personally I just can't justify that price.

ImNotSerious

Postby ImNotSerious » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't support anything but Fire TV 3 so the majority of the market can't use it. Also the $8 a month for the DVR is expensive. Plex is like $40 a year and that's an entire server and player and a million other things. They have the Grid EPG which is nice but personally I just can't justify that price.
The FireTV 4K is on sale today for only $49.

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 am

We're happy to announce the launch of a public beta program which adds initial support for Channels DVR to Channels for Android TV! Find out more on https://community.getchannels.com/t/bet ... s-dvr/4409

ralpharch

Postby ralpharch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Well now I have something to try out/set up on my Mecool M8S PRO L Smart Bluetooth Voice Control TV Box - VOICE REMOTE CONTROL ( 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM ) US PLUG 2 when it finishes the slow boat from China routine.

Return to “Third Party Software”