Roku Media not working with HD Homerun

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
JoeTroi

Roku Media not working with HD Homerun

Postby JoeTroi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Have the newest Roku Premiere and the older Roku 3. While the Roku media player will recognize my HD Homerun it shows no content in both folders (channels & Favorites). And yes I went to my homerun and select the STARS to make channel favorites. Anyone else have this issue?

signcarver
Expert

Re: Roku Media not working with HD Homerun

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 pm

There are many things that prevent a roku from "ever" working directly. First is they expect h.264 and aac while most tv is mpeg2 and ac3 (there are locations that may use what roku likes). They also want to use hls rather than ts. (last i heard roku's implementation of dlna also did not support live (unseekable) streams).

Usually for roku one needs another device to transcode and package the stream into something the roku likes.

The first gen roku actually had these things until the 2nd gen came out and then roku's developers made statements like dlna, mpeg2 and ts are dead (thus will not be supported) and hls is the future. They did backtrack a bit and added some dlna capability but not completely.

rudebox

Re: Roku Media not working with HD Homerun

Postby rudebox » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 pm

You just need to run it through Plex, and then use the Plex app on Roku to view the TV channels. Plex has a Live TV app incorporated that works very well with HDHomeRun to watch live tv on your Rokus.

Return to “Third Party Software”