*Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Garethuk

Re: *Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Postby Garethuk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi everyone- I'm in the UK and would love to use the network tuner add-in for love channels but can see it hasn't been released officially.

Is there a way I could try it through side loading somehow, or alternatively, is there a way of reaching out to Google to find out when it is likely to be released in the UK?

Thank you.

crony

Postby crony » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

The Android TV app was just updated today. Can anyone confirm if it fixes tuners not being released after changing channels?
It does not fix it.

zoltan_csizmadia

Postby zoltan_csizmadia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Instead of sideloading LiveChannels, I went to Settings/Apps/Live Channels and selected "Uninstall updates". It reverted Live Channels to 1.14... and it works just fine.

BTW how can I enable the channel logos using "HDHOmerun input"? I only have channel logos if I use the Beta HdHomerun Network tuner iput.

pgjensen

Postby pgjensen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 am

Instead of sideloading LiveChannels, I went to Settings/Apps/Live Channels and selected "Uninstall updates". It reverted Live Channels to 1.14... and it works just fine.

BTW how can I enable the channel logos using "HDHOmerun input"? I only have channel logos if I use the Beta HdHomerun Network tuner iput.
How do you get the non-BETA tuner to show up? I never see it and I hear with v1.16.003 if you use the non-BETA tuner it does in fact release them.

zoltan_csizmadia

Postby zoltan_csizmadia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am

How do you get the non-BETA tuner to show up? I never see it and I hear with v1.16.003 if you use the non-BETA tuner it does in fact release them.
Install the HDHomeRun app from the Google Play Store. It works as a standalone app and works as an input source for Live Channels.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... view&hl=en

blammo585

Postby blammo585 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

How in the hell do I enable the DVR function? I've dealt with this for months. All of a sudden it stopped working and nothing I have done can get it working. I thought maybe it was my "homemade" USB 2.0 hard drive so I just bought a 4tb WD on Black Friday. I got it in today, got it setup, and still nothing! I've uninstalled updates to Live Channels, reinstalled updates, removed HDHomeRun app, added it back. Nothing will get the Network Tuner to show in Live Channels. What in the hell do I need to do?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Do you have the latest Shield update installed? Only the Network Tuner source has DVR functionality in Live Channels (due to the way Live Channels is designed), and Network Tuner is only available on Android 7.

blammo585

Postby blammo585 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Do you have the latest Shield update installed? Only the Network Tuner source has DVR functionality in Live Channels (due to the way Live Channels is designed), and Network Tuner is only available on Android 7.
Yes, everything is updated. I believe the Shield has gone through 2 updates since this happened, around May maybe.

Toro

Postby Toro » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 pm

So back in Sept, I posted here about Live Channels. I have a Connect and was having the same problems with the tuners/weak signal everyone else was having.
I ended up disabling Live Channels and using the HDHR app on my Shield.

Is Live Channels still not working as it should ??

It's been months and 2 Shield updates later.. I did like the LC app better than the HDHR app.

wallsofjonathan

Postby wallsofjonathan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

This is my first post here, but I've been reading up for months....

I wanted desperately to dvr Sundays NFL games as my Sundays are usually tied up, so I bought a great antenna, and an HD homerun along with a shield and went to work getting everything set up. At first I couldn't get the shield to tune in any channels without constantly stalling and digitization. My TV however would tune every channel perfectly. I ordered a channel master pre amp it helped a bit, but half of the channels still wouldn't work, but if I disconnected the amp I'd get the other half of the channels, but lose the half I picked up with the amp so I ended up just using it and getting CBS and fox and eschewing the other half. I had tried everything, different amps, instituting qos on my router and giving the HD homerun priority. Replaced router. Played with ip addresses and channel conflicts. Got a new antenna. Tried moving the antenna into every configuration I could think of. Nothing worked. Then last night I noticed the HD homerun app had an update available on my shield last night and after the update EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL NOW WORKS! Perfectly! I don't know what that update changed, or did, but I couldn't be happier. Thank you silicon dust!

blammo585

Postby blammo585 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 pm

This afternoon I did a System Reset on my Shield TV. I setup my new 4tb hard drive. I added everything back. I tried Live Channels, and I still do not have the Network Tuner show up, so I cannot record anything.

What firmware are you guys running for an HDHomeRun Connect? Do you think I need to try restarting the recording service? I'm out of ideas.

mrdally204

Postby mrdally204 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am

This afternoon I did a System Reset on my Shield TV. I setup my new 4tb hard drive. I added everything back. I tried Live Channels, and I still do not have the Network Tuner show up, so I cannot record anything.

What firmware are you guys running for an HDHomeRun Connect? Do you think I need to try restarting the recording service? I'm out of ideas.
I use the latest firmware. One thing I would check is that UPNP is turned on on both your Connect and enabled from your router. Even if you manage to get it working for the Shield you are still going to hit the ever frustrating bug that holds onto the turners after you change the channel making this integration utterly USELESS.

Silicondust,
Google worked with you guys to get this to work in the first place. Can you please use any kind of influence you have to push the priority of this bug a little. Its a bad look when the feature was developed with you guys, for you guys and it just broke....for months....in multiple updates...

ncontrol

Postby ncontrol » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am

Silicondust,
Google worked with you guys to get this to work in the first place. Can you please use any kind of influence you have to push the priority of this bug a little. Its a bad look when the feature was developed with you guys, for you guys and it just broke....for months....in multiple updates...
Seems silicondust has repeatedly complained to google to no effect - viewtopic.php?f=116&t=66312&p=309928#p309606
@SiliconDust Team - Can we raise this issue with NVIDIA & Google, as it looks like the HDHR Tuner Close Request is failing w/ the combination of STV using Live Channels 1.16.003. I'll post these findings in the Shield TV Forums as well, but may be faster if you have direct contacts.
Honestly I'd say just switch to using the HDHomeRun app as an input source. We've reported bugs with the network tuner since before it was even made public (and detailed instructions on how to fix them) which they still haven't gotten around to.

danielmtp

Postby danielmtp » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 am

Hi everyone- I'm in the UK and would love to use the network tuner add-in for love channels but can see it hasn't been released officially.

Is there a way I could try it through side loading somehow, or alternatively, is there a way of reaching out to Google to find out when it is likely to be released in the UK?

Thank you.
I'm also in the UK, and I can confirm it doesn't work for me as well. No DVR and also getting a lot of problems with HR channels. Extremely disappointed with HDHomeRun. I have not found a solution yet, it seems that in the UK the HDHomeRun only works with the HDHomeRun as the Input Source (we rely on their app to send data to Live Channels). in the UK HDHomeRun doesnt show in the Shield as Tuner, and the "Network Tuner Beta" feature is not available in the UK for some reason. So, no DVR in Live Channels for us.

mrdally204

Postby mrdally204 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 am

Silicondust,
Seems silicondust has repeatedly complained to google to no effect - viewtopic.php?f=116&t=66312&p=309928#p309606
@SiliconDust Team - Can we raise this issue with NVIDIA & Google, as it looks like the HDHR Tuner Close Request is failing w/ the combination of STV using Live Channels 1.16.003. I'll post these findings in the Shield TV Forums as well, but may be faster if you have direct contacts.
Honestly I'd say just switch to using the HDHomeRun app as an input source. We've reported bugs with the network tuner since before it was even made public (and detailed instructions on how to fix them) which they still haven't gotten around to.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately using the HDHomeRun app as the input source does not allow for the most important feature the network tuner did, DVR functionality. Without that, I might as well just use my built in tuner on the TV :(

Return to “Third Party Software”