*Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Keenan

Re: *Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Postby Keenan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:21 pm

I noticed the same, the first time I've seen the "weak signal" error in fact.

thunderclap8

Postby thunderclap8 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:43 pm

I also have the weak signal error in Live Channels.

1. Does someone have a link to the latest apk where it worked fine ?
2. Are there any concerns with the new Shield update that just rolled out ?

Had to download the HDHR app on the Shield. But LC was easier to use by the kids/wife for some reason.
I used the ARM variant of the apk from here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-in ... 3-release/

Haven't tried the latest Shield update yet, these problems started for me before the upgrade.

Toro

Postby Toro » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for the link !
I'm not clear on why the ARM version, I'll install on my Shield , Do i need the ARM version ?
Is ARM version always for android ?

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for the link !
I'm not clear on why the ARM version, I'll install on my Shield , Do i need the ARM version ?
Is ARM version always for android ?
Most, but all, Android phones use ARM CPU. However, when it comes to Android TV devices, Google's own Nexus Player uses Intel CPU. Shield uses ARM. You need the apk that matches the CPU in your device.

otaku

Postby otaku » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 am

I have a "basic" question about "Live Channels"

We have a 2017 Nvidia Shield and I cannot get the DVR aspect to work at all. When I go into Channel sources / Network TV Tuner (Beta) and run a zip code scan it finds all channels found on the HDHomeRun however, when I go into the guide the Network TV Tuner has all the channels but guide information, at all.

Does Google Live Channels only work in certain areas of the country? We're in Eugene, OR.

I've tried activating the DVR aspect for several months now with zero success.

I've also sent feedback to Google.

Any suggestions????

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Any suggestions????
Google (like SD) has to match the channels with the guide data, and sometimes it seems they have some challenges (like SD), which can be influenced by their upstream guide source provider. Are you CableCARD or OTA? Since the device has to download the guide data from Google, your Internet connection may influence how long it takes to get the data and populate it (and something must be first, and something has to be last), and with CableCARD devices you may have many hundreds of channels to download data for (on an early test of LC I could see some channels with guide data, and then more, and more). About all one can do is provide feedback to Google and wait to see when it gets fixed.

otaku

Postby otaku » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:57 pm

We're Cablecard - Comcast

I've actually let it cook for days on end and zero happens :(

You're right!

Looks like we wait for Google...

otaku

Postby otaku » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm curious....

It's a standard Shield, NOT the 500 gig model.

Hypothetically, could LC be detecting there is not enough storage for a DVR to function so it simply shuts the entire thing down?

pgjensen

Postby pgjensen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:27 pm

Ugh, Weak Signal issue now on my Shield 6.0 upgrade as well. Grr!

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 am

Ugh, Weak Signal issue now on my Shield 6.0 upgrade as well. Grr!
The problem mainly resides within the Live Channels app itself, not much to do with Android OS/Firmware. However, ever since my Nexus Player updated to 8.0 Oreo, I have not encounters this once.

thesuffering

Postby thesuffering » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Is DRM something on the horizon or should it never be expected?

jarew

Postby jarew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 am

After dealing with Nvidia for over a week about the weak signal problem and jumping through their hoops and poor advice. I was lucky enough to try clearing the network cash and data in settings. It now works and the pvr also. Hope it works for the rest of you.
PS. Nvidia help is really bad and they have no clue

ktbaia

Postby ktbaia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Thought I would contribute to this topic.
My aunt has an Nvidia Shield and was attempting to use the live channels app with the HD Home Run Extend.
It worked for a while and then totally stopped working. Basically the issues where what others here have seen all of the tuners seemed to be in use constantly.

Unfortunately the folks attempting to get this going were extremely non-technical. So i sent them an HD HomeRun Connect to replace the HD HomeRun Extend. I did that because I am using a connect with an Nvidia Shield using the Live Channels app and everything seems to work correctly. Currently, everything works fine for my aunt using the Live Channels app with the Connect.

They are suppose to send me back the Extend. Knowing my family it will take a few months. Maybe then I can do some trouble shooting but for now I am having NO issues using the HD Home Run Connect with the Nvidia Shield. Please be aware that I am NOT attempting to record shows yet. I am just watching the live feed.
I have this problem also using the HD Home Run Extend. SD blames Google, but it sounds like the Connect works and the Extend doesn't. Seems to point to SD doesn't it. Even if the core problem was LC, it seems to me the Extend firmware should release tuners that have 0 streaming rates after a timeout of a few seconds.

jarew

Postby jarew » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 am

In my previous post I stated that clearing the network cash fixed my "weak signal". Not sure if that was what fixed it. I also had UN-installed updates to the live tv app only not using Nvidia app settings but android's "play store" to remove updates to the live tv app.
Confirmed this fix by updating live tv app through the play store and the weak signal fault came back. Returned to play store, removed updates, rebooted the shield and all is fixed again.

bluehorizon

Postby bluehorizon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:14 am

Thank you for the hint to clear Live Channels app data. This solved the weak signals issue (for now) that I had when I upgraded from two Connects to a Connect Quatro.

One thing clearing data didn't eliminate is the Bloomberg and Live Channels sources (I prefer to use just the HDHomerun source for now). And I don't see a button to remove a source in the Live Channels app. Can anyone suggest a fix.

Return to “Third Party Software”