*Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
slikvik

Re: *Android TV* Live Channels DVR

Postby slikvik » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

Hi

A few questions if I may:

Will this work on Sony Android TVs including recording if I plugged a USB HDD in?
Do you have an ETA on supporting UK devices?

jjfutt

Postby jjfutt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Given the lack of any update on this feature from Google (nothing we reported in this thread has been fixed), it wouldn't surprise me that Google might have pulled plug or stopped beta testing.
I am not that skeptical. This is not even a Google forum that we are on. It's always difficult to respond to individual issues unless we are using paid support and creating tickets. Given the recent redesign of Android TV in Oreo, I'd say Google is very much on top of this as a platform. Whether our individual issues will get fixed, or when, is to be seen though.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

The AC3 decoding issue (or lack of it) and 'weak signal' on random channels (non-DRM channels) are not individual issues. It is total BS to say Google is on top of this platform. They don't even sell its own Android TV hardware anymore and very much lack of any advancement on this platform since 5.0 pretty much means a dead platform. They simply re-pack the Android OS into the Android TV for 6.0, 7.0 and from what I can tell 8.0. The same launcher and no new features says it all.

gtgray2002

Postby gtgray2002 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 pm

The AC3 decoding issue (or lack of it) and 'weak signal' on random channels (non-DRM channels) are not individual issues. It is total BS to say Google is on top of this platform. They don't even sell its own Android TV hardware anymore and very much lack of any advancement on this platform since 5.0 pretty much means a dead platform. They simply re-pack the Android OS into the Android TV for 6.0, 7.0 and from what I can tell 8.0. The same launcher and no new features says it all.
Funny, Live Channels on the Nvidia Shield TV had an update in the last week,

lpr

Postby lpr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Funny, Live Channels on the Nvidia Shield TV had an update in the last week,

On this beta version, once I get a "weak signal" on a channel, they all become "weak signals" and they are unwatchable. However, when I use the HDHomerun app as the source in Live Channels it's working flawlessly.

iamspartacus

Postby iamspartacus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:28 am

What devices other than the Shield TV support the Live Channels app?

jjfutt

Postby jjfutt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 am

Everybody who is experiencing "weak signal issue.

It is not the signal strength that's the problem apparently, rather an issue with Live channels and Hdhr not agreeing on when a tuner was released.

You can see this by inspecting Hdhr logs on your pc with their pc app. Each time there is a weak signal message, there's a corresponding line entry in HDHR saying tuner not available.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 pm

It is not the signal strength that's the problem ...
Never was (or unlikely it always was), it is the "fall back" response for when the tuner failed to return data (which I guess LC presumes to mean it was unable to tune the channel, which can only mean "weak signal"?). I look at this as an interesting proof of concept beta product, and I believe that the later/better response messages (detailing the reason for the failures that LC might be able to show(*)) are new enough that LC has not caught up.

(*) I presume LC will need to do some i18n work to present it to the user at some point.

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I've been playing around with this box here,

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL- ... 81461.html

with a modified ATV ROM here,

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-sup ... oid-tv-7-1

and other than a few glitches now and then(which I think is actually due to an occasional bad signal from my provider Comcast) it has worked incredibly well.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 am

Any device running Android TV OS will have Live Channels app. In order to use this Network Tuner and DVR feature, it needs Android TV OS 7.0 or later. So, the only other officially supported ATV box that meets this requirement is Nexus Player at this time. Mi Box 3 is a nice candidate but it is stuck in Android TV 6.0 so far.

Tfalwell

Postby Tfalwell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

It is not the signal strength that's the problem apparently, rather an issue with Live channels and Hdhr not agreeing on when a tuner was released.

You can see this by inspecting Hdhr logs on your pc with their pc app. Each time there is a weak signal message, there's a corresponding line entry in HDHR saying tuner not available.
Yup, this just started happening to me the last week. I'm not sure how long I've been running this setup but it has been a while with no issues, but alas, now I'm getting the weak signal bug that spreads to all of the channels.

If I reassign the source we're good to go for a day or so. Previously if I opened up the HD App they'd run fine but that doesn't seem to fix this either. Not sure if it was update related or not though.

jjfutt

Postby jjfutt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 am

Yup, this just started happening to me the last week. I'm not sure how long I've been running this setup but it has been a while with no issues, but alas, now I'm getting the weak signal bug that spreads to all of the channels.

If I reassign the source we're good to go for a day or so. Previously if I opened up the HD App they'd run fine but that doesn't seem to fix this either. Not sure if it was update related or not though.
I manually installed an older APK based on someone's recommendation and that seems to be working

Return to “Third Party Software”