Help with new setup

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
mjessup

Help with new setup

Postby mjessup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:57 am

I recently got rid of all my cable box's and got 2 HD home run primes with my spectrum/Brighthouse cable service they are working fine but I'm not sure on what software I should use. I'm currently not dedicated on a software type yet but I have plex running off my Synology NAS and have an apple tv 4 at each tv that I'd like to watch tv (total of 4) any advice on what software system I should use? another comment I have pretty good wifi through out the house with a Ubiquiti system so don't have any ethernet connected to the apple tv's

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Help with new setup

Postby jasonl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 am

Do any channels you care about have DRM on them? This would be indicated by having a [DRM] indicator next to the on the Channel Lineup page on the HDHomeRun's web page.

mjessup

Postby mjessup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Do any channels you care about have DRM on them? This would be indicated by having a [DRM] indicator next to the on the Channel Lineup page on the HDHomeRun's web page.
I mean my HBO and Showtime channels are I probably need to just end up canceling them though because i have Netflix its one of those things I'd like to have but not a must

mjessup

Postby mjessup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

For watching on ATV, your options are Plex, InstaTV and Channels.

mjessup

Postby mjessup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

what would you recommend I have plex setup but just not a huge fan of how different it is and its not able to record shows on the ATV

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Well I am biased since I wrote Channels, but if you want a fully integrated ATV4 setup that's easy to use then give Channels a try.

See https://m.imore.com/channels-dvr-apple-tv and https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/19/channels ... dvr-video/

mjessup

Postby mjessup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Well I am biased since I wrote Channels, but if you want a fully integrated ATV4 setup that's easy to use then give Channels a try.

See https://m.imore.com/channels-dvr-apple-tv and https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/19/channels ... dvr-video/

thanks it seems interesting you think that they will eventually have support for drm content?

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Probably not.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:09 pm

what would you recommend I have plex setup but just not a huge fan of how different it is and its not able to record shows on the ATV
I have used all 3 apps, and have chosen Channels for watching on ATV4. The others do not even come close. In addition, we are also now using Channels as our DVR for recorded shows from a Prime HDHR unit.

Some excerpts from my prior posts (note: mpegts files are the recording format for all the DVRs using HDHR with many cable providers, although some are starting to broadcast (except locals) in AVC.

"IMO, Plex DVR is a huge fail due to lack of viable playback of recorded mpegts files, depending on the server (PMS).

Use case: Record TV shows, immediate playback without having to convert mpegts file and being able to skip commercial segments quickly. And then delete.

PMS on Shield: Great for playback and skipping on the Shield itself. Trying to use any other Plex client...skipping is a disaster. Also, on the Shield the PMS server cannot locate USB3 drives attached to a NAS...major bug.

PMS on i-7 (12gb ram): Trying to quickly skip a 3-4 min commercial segment on Plex client(s) appears to confuse the playback engine...it just spins and never recovers."
/end

Check out Plex DVR forums for all of the complaints running the DVR: lost or short recordings, tuner problems, guide, etc. etc. etc.

"The premium, advanced features offered in Channels: commercial skip, auto file management, padding options, and flexible/specific recording rule setup are why we have chosen the higher priced Channels as our daily DVR. To us it is well worth the cost."
/end

Additionally, on Channels DVR we can also view a chronological DVR schedule to ensure no tuner conflicts for recordings and the dev support is superlative.

Return to “Third Party Software”