WMC on xbox 360 randomly stops

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
fender

WMC on xbox 360 randomly stops

Postby fender » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 am

I have a 360 set up as an extender for WMC, when I turn on the 360 everything seems to be working ok but after i watch live tv for a few minutes or change channels a couple of times the picture goes black and i get an error that the box is having trouble receiving the signal. This happens on every channel, not just one. I don't know if this is related but whenever this happens I see that two of the tuner lights on the prime box are on even though I should only be using one of the tuners. When i turn off the 360 and restart it, I can go back to live tv and only one of the tuner lights will be on, but the problem repeats itself.

Any ideas as to the cause and how to go around fixing the issue?

Mediaman
Expert

Re: WMC on xbox 360 randomly stops

Postby Mediaman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:34 pm

open my.hdhomerun.com and click on tuner ID then System status > system log. Look for the time that the second tuner trys to open. Open Event Viewer from Windows tools and look for something that happened at that time; possibly a critical error.

How is the 360, tuner and pc networked?

fender

Postby fender » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 pm

open my.hdhomerun.com and click on tuner ID then System status > system log. Look for the time that the second tuner trys to open. Open Event Viewer from Windows tools and look for something that happened at that time; possibly a critical error.

How is the 360, tuner and pc networked?
I can't find any errors that coincide when the second tuner connects.

The 360, tuner, and pc are all connected to my router with hard lines.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:00 am

If you have an unmanaged switch available put it in between the devices and the router. If not look in the router for IGMP snooping and try turning it off. Also how are the signal strength and signal quality readings looking?

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 am

If your PC has gigabit NIC, make sure flow control is turned on (it is off by default). Xbox 360 only has a 10/100mbps NIC. without flow control, it will overload and lost a lot of packets from PC.

fender

Postby fender » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:44 am

I rearranged my connections this morning so that it now goes modem --> router --> unmanaged switch --> pc, xbox, prime.
Now WMC can't detect a tuner at all, even if I go back to my original setup without the switch, but the setup software does see the tuner.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 am

Did you reboot the PC after making the change?

Do you get any UPnP errors when opening HDHomeRun Setup?

fender

Postby fender » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Did you reboot the PC after making the change?

Do you get any UPnP errors when opening HDHomeRun Setup?
My apologies for not updating this post sooner, my inlaws were in town and I didn't have time to fiddle around with this the last few days.

WMC is detecting the tuner now. I uninstalled the HomeRun software, reinstalled it, and rebooted my pc to get it working. No I am not getting and UPnP errors.

I reran the tuner setup in WMC and manually added only one of the three tuners, but the same thing is happening. I will be watching a show and I try to change the channel but I guess the tuner gets locked onto one channel and it wont release it so WMC says that there is not a tuner available. I am guessing that is what was happening when the second tuner was starting before.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 am

1. Please go into HDHomeRun Setup, go to the Advanced tab and check the box to send diagnostic data
  2. Power cycle the HDHomeRun
  3. After it finishes powering up, click OK
  4. Wait 30 seconds, then open WMC and reproduce the issue, waiting at least 5 minutes after trying to change the channel before closing out
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun, the time it happened, the channel number you were on, and the number you were trying to change to, and we will check the logs.

Return to “Third Party Software”