No picture Premium Channels.

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, EyeTV, MythTV, etc.
Pacmania

No picture Premium Channels.

Postby Pacmania » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:16 am

Hi, I'm encountering some issue with HBO and Showtime channels. I hear sound but there's no picture. I called Comcast on this particular issue however, they don't have a solution on their end. On the other hand, It's been awhile I haven't subscribe with the premium channels but it was working a few years ago.

signcarver
Expert

Re: No picture Premium Channels.

Postby signcarver » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 am

What are you trying to view with (include platform)

Is the card properly paired? (most seem to find that the card is not validated when posting this, if it isn't that they are using the wrong program/platform to view)

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am

The card is properly paired the fact that the premium channels was just added yesterday. I can watch other channels without issue. I'm not using an extender to watch tv shows.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

That wasn't what I asked? First, non-premiums (those without drm) can work without the card "properly" being paired. Premiums (those that require drm) the card must be validated (validation success) Assuming you are using a platform that supports drm, the number one issue is this validation.

Next comes what you are using to view. Typically that "requires" wmc and fulfilling the requirements. (not windows 10, not displayport, passing the dca, not Intel graphics if h.264...)

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 am

I'm using WMC Window 7. Intel HD4000 is for video. I assume they changed video processing for DRM channels and I need a video card? if so, what video card should I need to view premium channels?

stuartm

Postby stuartm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 am

If it's Comcast their HD channels are pretty much all changed to MPEG4 and their premium channels are protected content. Intel GPU's have a bug where they are unable to properly display protected MPEG4 content. I would recommend a lower end Nvidia e.g. GT710, GT730.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 am

There is a known issue with intel integrated graphics and wmc in windows 7 that produces a "black" screen" for protected h.264 content... windows 8 fixed it for many with ivy or later only to have 8.1 ruin it again for many (after that it tended to only be ivy or the next one or two generations with mobile chips not desktop chips... it also required a specific intel driver that generally wasn't loaded but I forget the name of it now as I just throw in a video card when I come across the issue). I have not found a graphics card that didn't work (though I have not tried modern ones that I consider to be for windows 10, and I have seen some low end integrated AMD also have issues). In some cases using it on an extender actually is better but in comcast's case, they actually encode the h.264 in a way that the extenders don't work with it (here on cox "modern" extenders work just fine with protected h.264- by modern I mean ceton echo or xbox 360)

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 am

I'll be shopping for a graphics card later. Thanks guys for the replies and detailed info I appreciate it.

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi, I just installed an nvidia graphics card which is a 1050 ti. I can already watch the premium channels like hbo and showtime. However, I'm experiencing some stuttering and it flickers really bad during the movie credits. I can still remember about disabling the contrast enhancement on the intel graphics which solves the problem. However, I'm not familiar about this new gpu.

stuartm

Postby stuartm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am

From my notes for Nvidia settings:
Do NOT use the nvidia control panel settings to set dynamic range.
Set it to use Video Player settings, setting it to use the
nvidia setting exposes the flickering.

You also have to make sure that in your Nvidia Control Panel that
all your color settings are set to use the Video Player's settings.
Also, make sure in desktop color settings that your content type
reported to display is set to full screen video

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 am

With the newer NVidia software try the following;

1 - Open the Nvidia control panel.
2 - Go to Adjust video image settings.
3 - Look for Deinterlacing.
4 - Uncheck - Use inverse telecine.

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi,

I bought a new hdmi just to check if my old hdmi cable is the culprit. So far the flicker still exist especially when the screen is dark during the closing credits. I already uncheck the inverse telecine on the nvidia control panel. I also set it to full screen video under the Video Player settings. On the other hand, I watch some youtube videos and I can see some flicker on some of the videos. Do you guys think I got a bad graphics card? This is the first time I've encountered flickering videos using a dedicated graphics card.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 pm

That could be an Nvidia firmware issue [?] which an update is in the works to fix it by them. You could try loading version 378.92 from NVidia, had one person report it is working better for them.

The old settings used for W7/8.1 are...

Under Display go to each highlighted file.

Change Resolution Page; check to see the display is seen -
Mine is 1) Samsung
2) HDMI – HDTV [set refresh rate to 60Hz if set otherwise – it may set as 59]
In a first run through you may see nothing is Customized so no refresh rate or color depth is shown but may see that it changes and shows in the resolution box HD, SD -1080p, 1920X1080 (native) and the refresh rate box at 60 Hz and color depth box at Highest (32 bit) after you go to other pages or just wait a bit for the info to populate.
3) Apply the following settings.
These should auto set to your monitor/tv.

Adjust Desktop Color Settings
1)Samsung[mine]
2)Other applications control color settings
3) Apply the following enhancements
Here under Content type reported to the display you want Auto select.

Rotate Display
2)Landscape

Adjust Desktop Size and Position
Under scaling tab
2)Aspect ratio [or No scaling but not Full screen]
Perform scaling on – GPU [if set to Display]
Resolution – 1920X1080 [this is for TV]
Refresh rate – 60 Hz
Under size tab do not enable desktop resizing and have Select the desktop resize mode reported to the display set to “Auto select”

Under Video
Adjust video color settings
2)have “With the video player settings” enabled.
Adjust Video Image Settings
Both choices should have “With the video player settings” enabled.

DRMsucks

Postby DRMsucks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 am

Hi, I just installed an nvidia graphics card which is a 1050 ti. I can already watch the premium channels like hbo and showtime. However, I'm experiencing some stuttering and it flickers really bad during the movie credits. I can still remember about disabling the contrast enhancement on the intel graphics which solves the problem. However, I'm not familiar about this new gpu.
I once had an odd problem like this. What made it odd was I made no changes in the nVidia control panel after building the PC, and to fix it I simply went to the control panel and checked "restore defaults", or whatever it's called. Since it was working I never bothered to figure out why. But I had the same problems you're describing. If you can't fix it any other way it might be worth a shot.

Pacmania

Postby Pacmania » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 pm

My issue still persist after following Mediamans recommendation to change some settings on the nvidia control panel. I highly appreciate it regardless. I'll try to put the settings on default to see if this would solve the flickering, pixelation issue during the movie closing credits when the screen is dark.

Return to “Third Party DVR Software”