What generation of router is needed?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Greg_J

What generation of router is needed?

Post by Greg_J »

SiliconDust says, "We recommend that you use the latest generation of router or a mesh network for streaming live HDTV when not using a wired connection".

How important is it to use the latest generation of router? If my router is Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) will it potentially cause problems? If so, do I really need to upgrade to the latest generation Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), or would a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) router suffice? I don't think any of my devices (TV, laptop, tablet, etc) are new enough to even have Wi-Fi 6 capability, so they would use Wi-Fi 5 even if I had a Wi-Fi 6 router.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: What generation of router is needed?

Post by NedS »

Wifi 4 works. Wifi 5 would be a safer bet. Wifi 6 is overkill just for HDHomeRun/live TV, but might be nice if you are already going to update.

Greg_J

Post by Greg_J »

Okay thanks for the info.

Goodspike

Post by Goodspike »

NedS wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:03 am Wifi 4 can work, but just barely. Wifi 5 would be a safer bet. Wifi 6 is overkill just for HDHomeRun/live TV, but might be nice if you are already going to update.
What? You mean Consumer Reports isn't right? I don't need to spend money to get the latest and greatest WiFi technology? :lol:
“Whether it's getting a new laptop or a router with the latest WiFi standard," said Antonette Asedillo, an editor with Consumer Reports. "Simply put, new tech helps you get things done faster.”
https://komonews.com/news/consumer/time ... has-advice

Seriously, nice answer. That CR based article was one of the final straws that convinced me to not renew my membership. Thank you for confirming my decision.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Those in the know are waiting for 6E, which combines the new tech of 6 with a ton of new spectrum so there's less congestion.