Symbol Quality Constantly Dropping from 100% to 0% on Specific Channel

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Noah0504

Symbol Quality Constantly Dropping from 100% to 0% on Specific Channel

Post by Noah0504 »

Back to OTA only after canceling cable. Antenna is mounted in attic at about 30 feet. Everything I'm able to receive plays without an issue except for 1 station. There are 2 stations broadcasting from almost the same location and distance. They both come in at almost 100% across the board, but when tuning to my ABC station, the symbol quality drops from 100% to 0% about every 10-20 seconds making for slight glitches in the video/audio. I'm not using an amplifier, and while I don't know if it will help at all, I have an LTE filter on order.

I previously used the same antenna and HDHR tuner before we went back to cable for about the past year, and I don't remember having an issue with this station then. The other station the broadcasts from the same distance/location is my Fox station. There are no issues with it.

TV Fool doesn't appear to be working right now, but here are the RabbitEars listings for the two stations mentioned:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... lsign=KSWO
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... sign=K18IZ

KSWO is my ABC station and the one I'm having issues with. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, for those at SD, I turned on "send diagnostic information" and my device ID is 107504EB.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Symbol Quality Constantly Dropping from 100% to 0% on Specific Channel

Post by jasonl »

What antenna? ABC is on VHF channel 11 and everything else on UHF, so the two obvious candidates are an antenna that is bad at VHF and interference from a strong nearby FM radio station.

Noah0504

Post by Noah0504 »

It's this pretty generic antenna: https://byjasco.com/ge-ultrapro-indooro ... mile-range

I feel like an idiot for not realizing ABC is VHF. It very well could be FM interference. I don't remember having much of an issue before, but who knows what has changed in the past year. That at least gives me a few other things I can try. Thanks!

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

"Antenna that is bad at VHF" is probably the winner there. If the widest part of your antenna isn't at least 32 inches across, it's almost certainly bad at VHF.

Noah0504

Post by Noah0504 »

jasonl wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:10 pm "Antenna that is bad at VHF" is probably the winner there. If the widest part of your antenna isn't at least 32 inches across, it's almost certainly bad at VHF.
Well, the more you know!

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Seeing it is on VHF CH11, which is in the low 200+MHz, I would look at FM interference created by cheap CFL or LED lights. I ran into the exact same thing with a channel in my area. It only happened from Dusk to dawn, as I realized that there were lights in the garage soffit that had been replaced by "inexpensive LED Bulbs".
Good Luck