CATV PSIP & CVCT

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mski

CATV PSIP & CVCT

Post by mski »

Hello! I hope so of you smart minds can help me understand the CATV PSIP data being sent by my cable provider.
(HDHomeRun Device ID 10440107 if any employees want to look at the Diag Info)

My CATV provider has started including PSIP data, as requested. GuideName is clear and working well. I also see GuideNumber data in the form of "11.1" "11.6" ... "32.1" ...

Is the cable provider providing those GuideNumber entries or is the HDHR inventing them? They fall nicely in line with the ClearQAM Frequency Table

Example
GuideNumber: 11.1
TransportStreamID:19
Frequency: 201000000
ProgramNumber: 1

Am I to understand that the CATV provider selected GuideNumber 11.1 here where they could have picked anything arbitrary like 876?

If the cable provider is sending these GuideNumbers are they in the PSIP data? Is this PSIP data and the (CVCT) Cable Virtual Channel Table one in the same?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: CATV PSIP & CVCT

Post by nickk »

Hi,

These numbers are from the CVCT, or possibly a TVCT that wasn't stripped out. This data isn't used by cable equipment so isn't often present (cable equipment uses out-of-band data which needs a CableCARD to decode).

Nick

jasonl
Expert

Re: CATV PSIP & CVCT

Post by jasonl »

The cable provider can set any arbitrary channel number. There is an official method for supporting single-part (cable-style) channel numbers like 876, but many TV's don't support it properly and the channels will come up as 1008.xxx or 1009.xxx because of how single-part numbers are represented. Using 0 as the minor channel number is supposed to represent an analog channel, so most providers that do send data usually just do xxx.1 so that it has the broadest compatibility.