HDHR-US pixelating (also wondering if newer/beta FW available)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
phone guy

HDHR-US pixelating (also wondering if newer/beta FW available)

Post by phone guy »

I have hdhr-us 2 tuner, and a hdhr5-4us quatro connected to my network.

Same rooftop antenna feeds both thru a splitter, also feeds my tv antenna in port.

the hdhr-us get severe pixelating on a couple of channels here in DFW (Dallas TX area) ch4 fox and ch5 nbc.

the quatro seems much more stable (still some pixelation but not as bad) and the samsung tv tuner is rock solid on all channels..again, same antenna split feed everything.

The firmware on the quatro (hdhr5-4us) is Firmware: 20210624
The firmware on the HDHR-US (white 2 tuner box with 2 coax feeds) is Firmware: 20210422

Same setup app updated both hdhomerun boxes, but each got different firmwares? so I am wondering if the original (older) 2 tuner model needs a newer firmware, and if that or even a beta firmware would help clean up the pixelation problem? Most times its unwatchable due to the stutter, fall over, pixelizing etc.... also the 4us quatro does it too but nowhere near as badly.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by phone guy on Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR-US pixelating (also wondering if newer/beta FW available)

Post by NedS »

That's the latest firmware for the DUAL model that you have. The newer units have improved tuners, so some discrepancy between older and newer units is expected. That being said, the first thing to try is seeing if a different power supply will improve anything. The DUAL will need a power supply with the following specs:

5V 2A regulated power adapter (higher A rating ok)
2.1mm ID / 5.5mm OD plug, 9-10mm depth, center positive

Bubbster

Post by Bubbster »

IIRC Dallas has a station that suffers from the NVIDIA mpeg2 encoder bug similar to WDTN in Dayton.

I still have this issue, NVIDIA has never fixed it, and the station still does whatever it does to make this bug appear.

phone guy

Post by phone guy »

Bubbster wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:13 pm IIRC Dallas has a station that suffers from the NVIDIA mpeg2 encoder bug similar to WDTN in Dayton.

I still have this issue, NVIDIA has never fixed it, and the station still does whatever it does to make this bug appear.

I'm unaware of this, does this mean it's an issue with nvidia drivers? Something out of my control?

phone guy

Post by phone guy »

NedS wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 pm That's the latest firmware for the DUAL model that you have. The newer units have improved tuners, so some discrepancy between older and newer units is expected. That being said, the first thing to try is seeing if a different power supply will improve anything. The DUAL will need a power supply with the following specs:

5V 2A regulated power adapter (higher A rating ok)
2.1mm ID / 5.5mm OD plug, 9-10mm depth, center positive
I'll have to source a new power supply to test this. But in all honesty, I'm ready to give up on this model assuming the newer gens are just better at receiving/tuning... Not sure yet. Frustrated with it to be honest.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

There is a hardware bug in all but the latest generation or two of NVIDIA's video decoding that causes video corruption on certain streams. The video encoder used by KXAS and many other stations across the country generates streams that trigger this bug. To the best of everyone's knowledge, the stream itself is 100% valid and compliant with the MPEG2 spec, and NVIDIA just did a half-assed job on their decoder figuring it would never be an issue. This is most commonly visible as video corruption on high motion scenes, particularly things like where they do a wipe with the NBC logo going in or out of replays on sports. It will not cause audio issues or anything like that, and you won't see the issue on systems using non-NVIDIA GPUs.

KDFW is not affected by the NVIDIA bug. Their signal just seems to suck for whatever reason. I have like 8 different tuners from 5 different companies hooked up to 3 different antennas and none of them can receive KDFW reliably even when every other UHF station comes in perfectly.

phone guy

Post by phone guy »

So is this nvidia bug a part of the video card (gt1030) or the software?

Is there a way to use a different video decoder in windows to avoid this?

If fixing this issue requires a new graphics card right now that's near impossible, video card prices are through the roof.

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

phone guy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:36 am So is this nvidia bug a part of the video card (gt1030) or the software?
The bug that jasonl is referring to is a hardware issue in the dedicated video processing hardware on the gpu. There is no software fix, other than perhaps using software only decoding (which can results in different visual glitches, as with the exception of some very higher end processors, one cannot do the same quality of de-interlacing that the dedicated hardware on the gpu can accomplish since it is computationally very expensive).
Is there a way to use a different video decoder in windows to avoid this?
I do not recall that the SD app on Windows allows one to do software only decode, but perhaps someone else knows.
If fixing this issue requires a new graphics card right now that's near impossible, video card prices are through the roof.
Not to mention that jasonl said the issue may be fixed only in the latest gpus, and I guessing that means 3xxx series?, so a very expensive and high power card to just do video decode if you want/need to stay with nvidia.

However, as previously stated, not all stations in your market (or any market) are experiencing the nvidia issue, so be sure to focus on the stations you care about as part of your process.

phone guy

Post by phone guy »

Thanks for the detailed response.

Here in DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth TX) area it seems like KXAS NBC (ch5) seems to be the issue, but in all fairness I've been watching so much of the Olympics, I can't honestly say other channels not affected.

The glitching video issue seems to affect all 4 hdhomerun tuners I have right now, the original dual white tuner, a Quatro, a Quatro scribe and a TECH3 2x4 tuner. I've even recorded some video (again KXAS NBC 5) with the scribe to its internal hdd, and it plays back with the glitching. Never affects audio, but video randomly pixelates.

Since the video recorded on the scribe Quatro hdd plays back with the glitching, even on my Samsung phone, does that still point to an issue with nvidia? I would assume using the scribe as a test kind of eliminates all external variables, no?

The signal strength is 85-92% all green, and the snr/sym is usually at 100% (according to the hdhomerun signal app)

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to figure out the source of this problem so if I can afford it, fix it.

phone guy

Post by phone guy »

Here are a couple of screen shots of the pixelizing

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We have discussed with Nvidia previously - the situation can't be detected and the only workaround is to software decode.

On the flip side, Nvidia has fantastic hardware deinterlacing support so we don't want to force software decode unless we have to.

We are discussing internally.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

If you have a recording that shows the problem can you please upload to a service like Google Drive and PM me the share link.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Thanks Bubbster for the capture.

Problem reproduced on Nvidia Shield.
Problem reproduced on Win10 with a GTX-1050.
Plays error free on Win10 with a RTX-2070.

Nick

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

I'm also seeing some pixelation in Win10 with an RTX 2060.

Bubbster

Post by Bubbster »

nickk wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:29 pm Thanks Bubbster for the capture.

Problem reproduced on Nvidia Shield.
Problem reproduced on Win10 with a GTX-1050.
Plays error free on Win10 with a RTX-2070.

Nick
Yup, same here:
Bad: Nvidia Shield Pro all apps unless acceleration off
Bad: Win10 with an old Nvidia 750ti
Good: Newer box, Ryzen 3600/Win10 with GTX 1660 Super works fine, although I do know last football season it didn't, looks like a driver fix somewhere along the way.

[edit] I should've added this is WDTN-HD Ch 2.1 in Dayton, Ohio.