Channel Scan has become painfully slow with latest firmware

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jimmersd

Channel Scan has become painfully slow with latest firmware

Post by Jimmersd »

I regularly have to go through a process of resetting my tuners and TAs b/c of dropped or missing channels. Normally, Spectrum Central Florida supplies me with 485 channels to choose from, although I have all the lower res and undesirable channels ignored from the channel list. Periodically I will see that one or more channels have disappeared, in response I navigate to the tuner channel lists and find that they are only showing a total of 209 channels.

This usually means that tuners have lost connection with the TAs.

I then reset the TA boxes through Spectrum and then unplug and reboot the tuners and TAs. This usually resolves the issue.

But occasionally I also have to rescan channels.

Recently I saw that there was a notification that the tuners had a firmware update which I waited until a quiet time to install. After installing the firmware and rebooting the tuners and TAs there was no increase in available channels. So I let the tuners scan. They started scanning over an hour ago and it looks that they will take another to run the whole spectrum.

What seems to be happening is when it actively finds channels it lists and adds them pretty quickly. But when it encounters an empty or unusual slot it seems to slow down to a crawl.

I don't remember it ever taking this long to perform this task.

Watcher

Re: Channel Scan has become painfully slow with latest firmware

Post by Watcher »

Doing a channel scan with a tuning adapter is going to be slow, as each and every request has to first go to the tuning adapter, which has to negotiate with its upstream master (the cable company headend equipment) in order to get the information in order to tune the channel. In order not to overwhelm the headend, the HDHR must not make too many requests in quick succession (which slows thing down). If the tuning adapter is having issues maintaining its connection to the upstream, it will retry, but those retries can take time too (which slows things down).

Often, about the best one can do is to make sure that the tuning adapter is operating normally. If you somewhat commonly need to reboot the TA, as you suggest you do, that also suggests that the TA is not communicating well. Sadly, trying to get TA issues resolved is difficult with most providers, but you can check certain levels in the TA diagnostic menus, and make sure the cables are not damaged, and the connections tight.

Jimmersd

Re: Channel Scan has become painfully slow with latest firmware

Post by Jimmersd »

Watcher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:31 pm Doing a channel scan with a tuning adapter is going to be slow, as each and every request has to first go to the tuning adapter, which has to negotiate with its upstream master (the cable company headend equipment) in order to get the information in order to tune the channel. In order not to overwhelm the headend, the HDHR must not make too many requests in quick succession (which slows thing down). If the tuning adapter is having issues maintaining its connection to the upstream, it will retry, but those retries can take time too (which slows things down).

Often, about the best one can do is to make sure that the tuning adapter is operating normally. If you somewhat commonly need to reboot the TA, as you suggest you do, that also suggests that the TA is not communicating well. Sadly, trying to get TA issues resolved is difficult with most providers, but you can check certain levels in the TA diagnostic menus, and make sure the cables are not damaged, and the connections tight.
I appreciate your point. This system has been in every day use since 2013~14. At first with WMC and now with the HDHR DVR. The TAs have been the source of multiple problems over the years and I am DONE trying to work that out with Spectrum. The reboot process only seems to happen when Spectrum tinkers with the lineup. Signal strength is okay. The slow scan problem is recent.