How to retire old HDHomeRun units.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mnwxman

How to retire old HDHomeRun units.

Post by mnwxman »

I’m upgrading my system from an older extend and original connect unit to a flex 4K. How do I eliminate the older units from my.HDHomeRun dot com.

These older units are still tied to my account it appears, and I want to retire them. I can’t figure out a way to eliminate them from my product page.

Thank you

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: How to retire old HDHomeRun units.

Post by signcarver »

If they have internet access from the same public ip address they will show up at my.hdhomerun.com. my.hdhonerun.com works by retrieving list of devices from your public ip (similar to the page my.hdhomerun.com/discover), then tries to reach each device in that list and any it reaches get displayed. It shouldn't display anything retired (removed) as it shouldn't reach a retired device as it has been removed.

Easiest way is to add your new device to the network while the other is still accessible then launch the app and the account screen shows up and hit continue as this adds your new device to the account. Exit the app, remove the old device from your network and relaunch the app, the account screen shows up again as it couldn't reach the device and click the trash can next to the device to remove from account. Note if the tuner is connected to your network afterwards it will be added again when you start the app.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

This question got me thinking.
What IF, I want to give one of my retired tuners to a relative, is there anything on my end that I have to do?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Assuming you are referring to account for DVR (as that is really the only thing that matters) and if the device was still recently on the network and seen by the app, you "should" remove it from your account by unplugging it (network and/or power) and starting the app to hit the trashcan from the missing device prior to giving it away... chances are though that you will start that app before they can do "harm" to your account but in theory lets say you unplug the device and deliver/install it for them... the first time they/you launch the app at their place, it could end up being the only tuner associated from your account (I believe you must hit the trashcan to do so but I wouldn't say "continue" would never update removed devices on its own like it adds them) then when you get home you have no valid tuners/dvr but if that happened, you should be able to recover by the link in the email when purchased.

It also wouldn't hurt to restart any dvr engines if you remove a tuner as the DVR can take up to 2 hours before it properly syncs up the device list again.

Part of why the trash can is fresh in my mind is one of my quatros "died" yesterday and wasn't seen on the network (my atmos soundbar also died that day as well). On investigating the hdhr could be brought back to life by pressing down at the end of the power plug (about an inch away from the device to get some leverage) and it would turn on but the longest I got it to stay on was about 5 minutes then would have to find another sweet spot to get power again... not sure if I want to attempt to re-solder that jack on but assume that would be possible (certainly not harder than recapping a motherboard). I have since removed the device from my account to not get the annoying account screen on startup.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Thanks for the reply.........