HDHR4-2US tuning to guide channel location instead of phy for signal.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
marbar

HDHR4-2US tuning to guide channel location instead of phy for signal.

Post by marbar »

Initial (long draft) was eaten by the forum auto-logout system.

Based on what I'm seeing from the

Code: Select all

http://192.168.1.xxx/tuners.html?page=tuner0
information on the two HDHR4-2US tuners having the exact same issue.

When a broadcast channel does not match the logical(program guide) channel number, the tuners are trying to tune into the frequency band for the Guide channel number rather than where the channel actually is. This is knocking out three local channels from being tunable on the HDHR4-2US units.

HDHR5-4US is working like a champ and not impacted. Issue is present for the HDHR4-2US in the last official firmware release and in the beta release as well.

Issue only appeared for me after updating firmware for the first time in well over a year while trying to troubleshoot a reception problem on a specific sub-channel on a local station.

Going to turn on diagnostic sharing shortly to see what SD can do about fixing what I'm seeing.

104182B5 and 10418273 are the HDHR4-2US units involved.
Will tune the HDHR5-4US unit (10723B60) to the same channels as well to provide a control.

For reference: 104182B5 is on a standalone antenna by itself so there is a reason why its diagnostic numbers are very different from the others, it was brought out of retirement to figure out what was going on... and isn't in a great spot for reception on many local channels.

marbar

Re: HDHR4-2US tuning to guide channel location instead of phy for signal.

Post by marbar »

Update: Doing a little more checking, which should possibly help SD figure out what is going on. This seems to be a SageTV tuning issue specific to these tuners after updating their firmware. I'm guessing SageTV was tuning to the virtual/logical/"guide" channel number, as that it how it is configured, and under the recent firmware, it is passing that channel tune request through as a tuning request for the physical channel instead.

Going to try tuning through OpenDCT instead of SageTV here in a bit and see if that changes the behavior at all.

marbar

Re: HDHR4-2US tuning to guide channel location instead of phy for signal.

Post by marbar »

Decided to check something else first. In the course of some earlier troubleshooting prior to the firmware updates some new channel lineups were generated on SageTV to customize channel lineups based on the ability of the tuner to receive a given channel.

Due to how those lineups were created, only the channel guide numbers were copied across. Which was all that the HDHomeRun used to need in order to work waay back in time. I'm guessing that tuning protocol changed in the intervening time. (later revisions to SageTV itself may also be in play)

The reason the one tuner continued to work is that our current guide service provider(of about 4 years) also provides the physical tuner information for the relevant station id. As such, it was tuning into the correct channels because it was passing a tuning request for a specific physical channel which the HDHomeRuns were honoring. Get rid of that physical channel number and only give it the virtual, and things fail if the virtual and physical channel are not the same. :oops:

So the issue was a configuration error on the user end, not a firmware problem.