Two Tuners

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
CEG3

Two Tuners

Post by CEG3 »

I have one of the older, silver Connect tuners and just added a Flex Duo tuner. I have set this up differently from the way most people would. I have one Antennas Direct antenna that works really well. That is where the Flex is connected. I also have a cheap, Channel Master flat antenna that I have the Connect connected to. These flat antennas, in my experience, can work much better than you would expect them to. I definitely think the Antennas Direct antenna is the better one. Generally, channel scans for the two antennas are within a channel or two of equal numbers. I realize most people would split the signal from the better antenna, but I don't want to do that.

The reason I posted is that the HDH apps on my devices seems to be defaulting to the Connect and not the newer device. Any idea why this would happen? I can pull the power plug from the Connect while watching TV and within a few seconds the Flex picks up the channel. If I then reconnect power to the Connect the system does not go back to it, but stays with the Flex. Interestingly, when I changed channels it switched back to the connect. The system definitely prefers the Connect.

I realize it doesn't really make any difference, but I'm just curious.

I may have just figured this out. I also have two DVR's, one connected to my Flex and another connected to a Shield. I just found out the drive connected to the Flex was not active, even though an LED indicated it was getting power. I think maybe the USB 2.0 port isn't working just right if a USB connector is fully plugged in and woks when I back off just a bit. When I powered down the DVR on the Shield I couldn't tune a channel. I got the Flex DVR working and I can then tune a channel. I powered the Shield DVR back up and a scheduled recording began and it is using the Connect to tune the channel.

What I may discovered is that the system is not so much preferring the Connect as it's preferring the DVR that is not part of the Flex, because it is the larger drive and is currently making all the recordings and in bypassing the Flex DVR is just bypasses the Flex all together. In other words it may not use the tuners in the Flex while not using its DVR.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Two Tuners

Post by nickk »

Hi,

Both the FLEX and the Shield can make recordings when you have them set up for that. A number of factors go into which one does the recording but it usually comes does to preferring the one with more space.

Tuner priority - the system thinks the two tuner sources are the same. Without any other influence it will probably pick the one with the lower device id simply because it is earlier in the list of tuners it is tracking. If you have channels that are too weak on one tuner you should disable them on the device webpage (click the star icon beside the channel twice) so the DVR knows not to use that tuner for that channel.

FLEX - make sure the drive has been formatted by the HDHomeRun FLEX by going to the device webpage.

Nick

CEG3

Re: Two Tuners

Post by CEG3 »

Thanks for the info. Curious as to how to make both DVR's do some of the recording. With both running and the one connected to the Shield being a 2TB drive and the one connected to the Flex being only .5TB I don't expect the Flex to become priority until the 2TB has less remaining space. Of course, just for fun I can and have powered down the 2TB drive to force the Flex to make recordings in order to see how it performs.

Interesting that the system is using the Connect because of its lower serial number. I would have never have guessed that. Yes, the .5TB drive was formatted by the Flex. I would consider moving my 2TB drive to the Flex but I would lose about .5TB of recordings. I sacrificed the recordings on the .5TB drive to set up the Flex.

Good thought to watch to see what channels might be weaker from one or the other antenna.

My setup has certainly become more interesting. I was getting really bored with the simple Connect/Shield setup and thought about Tablo just for a change. I gave Plex one last try and just find it too messy and for me not all that reliable. In the end I decided to buy the Flex and pre-pay my renewal by a few days to settle my argument with myself.

While I have anybody's attention: I would love to see Silicondust add signal strength to the program guide when highlighting a channel.