hdhr3-4dc(EU) expand & HDHR5-4DT(EU) DVB-C cannot work together, gives different radio numbers range v50xx

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
wazer

hdhr3-4dc(EU) expand & HDHR5-4DT(EU) DVB-C cannot work together, gives different radio numbers range v50xx

Post by wazer »

So I thought I had an faulty unit hdhr3-4dc, i own some of them, but only one of them would fail with HTTP: rejecting request from 192.X.X.X - no video data

So i bought a brand new unit HDHR5-4DT(EU) from amazon.

Now I have another problem which is more annoying than the first problem, which is still not resolved.

Here goes....

All my hdhr3-4dc(EU) units gives identically radio channels that all work together on same range/id for 50xx that also counts for TV/video range, its ALL GOOD.

The new HDHR5-4DT(EU) does not like to play well and no matter how many times I reset the unit, it will simply not give the same range/id for radio channels as the old units, (TV range is fine)

So when using the HDHomeRun app and all tuners are filled up on the new unit(4), the radio channels and station name I pick will no longer match when I select radio channel for the 5th tuner since it will start picking up another unit which will be hdhr3-4dc(EU) that has a complete different radio range.

hdhr3-4dc(EU)
https://i.imgur.com/3qjlhXq.png

HDHR5-4DT(EU)
https://i.imgur.com/OTqDvl2.png

I tried resetting the old units too clearing the channels by changing modulation and symbolrate, doing a new scan until all channels was disappeared from lineup.json on all units.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: hdhr3-4dc(EU) expand & HDHR5-4DT(EU) DVB-C cannot work together, gives different radio numbers range v50xx

Post by kyl416 »

The v5000 channels are randomly assigned as it does a scan and sees unmapped channels, it's not just radio channels that can appear there, but anything in the clear that isn't mapped to a virtual channel like local channels for a neighboring city/region/state/province or engineering/information channels.

The units that were connected longer retained the previous mappings in their memory and assigned newly added channels the next available number. Try doing a scan without any cable connected.
Last edited by kyl416 on Wed May 19, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wazer

Re: hdhr3-4dc(EU) expand & HDHR5-4DT(EU) DVB-C cannot work together, gives different radio numbers range v50xx

Post by wazer »

As a bonus I just found out that if hdhomerun setup is installed on one windows machine hdhomerun_record.exe will do some kind of internal magic will hdhomerunapp video player talking together.

So in this example when playing radio channels on my nvidia shield unit (android TV) using hdhomerun app, the app would make contact to the windows machine that have hdhomerun setup installed and start streaming radio channels from PC via hdhomerun_record.exe to the android unit with the newest HDHR5-4DT(EU) unit.

I did not accept that.

I figured out by checking log files through seeing my windows ip addressee machine being playing those channels, so I crashed hdhomerun_record.exe file and the android TV stopped playing..

wazer

Post by wazer »

kyl416 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm The v5000 channels are randomly assigned as it does a scan and sees unmapped channels, it's not just radio channels that can appear that but anything in the clear that isn't mapped to a virtual channel like local channels for a neighboring city/region/state/province or engineering/information channels.

The units that were connected longer likely retained some previous mappings in their memory and skipped those numbers after your cable provider did a frequency reshuffle which is happening a lot in Europe right now as cable providers get rid of analog, SD duplicates and cable FM to reclaim bandwidth for 1 Gbps internet. Try doing a scan without any cable connected to see if it clears out the old entries.
I own couple of the old units as I specifically said, I cleared all channels none of them had any in the memory.

I tested also with neighbor unit he also owns the old unit I got and found the EXACT same range as my old units fro TV and radio, thus he does not have the same provider as me.

Doing the very same scan after each reset/clearing mapping will result in the same result every time on radio channels for both version (old and new) as shown in the screenshot they never change.

The v5000 range cannot be randomly assigned since they are in the very same frequency under DVB-C in our country as the TV range, they are static and are only updated once a year IF any channel is removed/added/renamed. which only happens in mid January.

wazer

Post by wazer »

I did more test, disconnected, rebooted all units - scanning without cables, then rebooted them to be 100% sure no more mapping was attached.

All 3 hdhr3-4dc(EU) units got the same exact channels numbering for TV+radio as they used to get since January.
The HDHR5-4DT(EU) unit got the same exact numbering for TV+radio as it got from the first time I did the initiate scan and still is different from the other 3 units.