HDHR audio out of sync

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jedi71

HDHR audio out of sync

Post by Jedi71 »

HDHR5-4K 10809602 Firm: 20210224
HHDD-2TB 15303290 Firm: 20210227

I've made a few posts about the audio being out of sync when using HDHR with a Shield, a Chromecast with Google TV, and now an Apple 4K.

I have an LG BX with eArc feeding a Sonos Arc soundbar with eArc as well. I know there is internet chatter about Sonos Arc audio sync issues, but here is my case:

Out of all the streamers I have tried above, every app's audio output syncs perfectly except the HD Homerun.

Disney Plus outputs actual Atmos in sync. Netflix, SlingTV, You Tube, Twitch, all of them output their audio in sync to the Sonos Arc but somehow the HDHR app can't. Is there anything that can be tweaked on the SD side? What is so different about the HDHR audio that it can't be in sync with video on a Sonos Arc?

Jedi71

Re: HDHR audio out of sync

Post by Jedi71 »

Breaking News:

I apologize for blaming HDHR for my audio issues, but it was truly the only app that had sync issues. I've been tweaking all kinds of settings on the Apple TV, and the LG BX, and I believe I have cracked the code and fixed my HDHR audio sync issue.

I'm going to monitor it for a day or two and make sure it doesn't revert. If it doesn't I'll reply with a write up.

Jedi71

Re: HDHR audio out of sync

Post by Jedi71 »

So here is the deal.

LG BX
Apple TV 4k
Sonos Arc sound bar
HD Homerun audio sync

The LG BX (LG) sound section for eArc out has a selection for Bypass. When selected, the video settings all change and HDR turns on for some reason. Why an audio setting should trigger video settings to change I do not know. This made me NEVER try the LG TV audio Bypass option.

In a fit of "this has to work," I turned the LG audio Bypass on then went looking to see why the video settings changed. In the end, it was because the of the Apple TV.

I had the Apple TV video output set to 4K SDR. When the LG Bypass was enabled, the Apple TV changed that output to 4K HDR, which is why the LG then swapped around the video settings, not just because I enabled LG Audio Bypass, but because the AppleTV somehow changed it's video output settings.

So. With LG audio set to Bypass, and the Apple TV changed back to output 4K SDR (and Match enabled for Dolby vision) the HD Homerun audio output is now in sync.

Before, Sonos considered the HDHR audio at 5.1. With the LG Bypass on, HDHR audio is 7.1.

I hope this ramble helps someone now or in the future.