Signal Issues

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
afleischer

Signal Issues

Post by afleischer »

Hey All,

I've got an HDHomeRun Connect which I'm using with an OTA antenna. I had previously used an indoor antenna (Mohu Leaf 30) because I'm within 20 miles of the broadcast towers and figured that would work, but due to the construction of my home I was barely able to get signals for the major networks without walking the Leaf around to find a functional spot. I recently purchased an outdoor antenna - Winegard Elite Outdoor - and connected via coax to it, and while the signal strength for every channel is strong, most broadcast network channels are freezing and/or crashing the HD HomeRun app on my Windows desktop. The CBS & NBC feeds seem to crash the software every time, but other channels like FOX and some of the independent channels do not.

Using Plex's "Live TV & DVR" is working on all the main broadcast channels without crashing, though I am getting stuttering fairly often.

From reading this topic thread I suspect the signals may be too strong with the new antenna, but before buying 3db & 6db attenuators, I wanted to check to be sure that I'm right.

My firmware is updated to the most recent 20210210, my device ID is 10495C1E, and I ran "Detect Channels" under the Channel Lineup. Any help greatly appreciated!

JDazell

Re: Signal Issues

Post by JDazell »

If you are using Windows 10 anywhere on your network, download the full Windows package from /Support/Downloads. You will also need to accept the C++ installs.
Once Installed open file browser and go to C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun and create a shortcut to the program "hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" (right click and choose pin to Start).

Now open the Windows Start at the lower left corner of your task bar and click on the icon for "HDHomerun Config GUI.

You will now be able to monitor any channel accessed by an HD tuner and see what the Signal metrics are. This will help you in trouble shooting. There is a link on this forum explaining what each metric means.
The most critical for viewability is Signal Quality. Seeing you are within 20miles I will guess that Signal Strength will be 100%. The problem is how much over 100% as that will really mess with the signal.

If you are an Apple House there is an equivalent tool, I believe the name is Signals (GHB something).

Good Luck

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Signal Issues

Post by NedS »

Signals don't look too strong. If anything, they're a bit weak.

Red line is signal strength, how "loud" a signal is

Blue line is signal quality, or how "clear" the data can be heard

X is signal frequency, Y is percentage

Each blue line or red spike is most likely a transmission at a given frequency

Both signal quality and signal strength should be above 60% for a good picture. Better to be in the 70s-80s (or higher), but it's possible to be in the 60s and be fine.
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 7.47.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 7.47.14 PM.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 757 times

VHF-Lo (54-88 MHz) is very weak, but that's to be expected with your antenna type. VHF-Lo normally requires really long antenna elements to come in reliably.

VHF-Hi (174-216 MHz) is much better. This is handled by the longest elements on your antenna.

UHF (470-608 MHz) is struggling, but the signal quality is actually pretty good here, so I think we can dial these in with what you have now. These are received by the center "hour-glass" and elements. There's some really strong cellphone activity in the area, so you might be helped by getting an LTE filter that blocks the 608 MHz + range.

Try repositioning the antenna while checking the signal strength with the HDHomeRun Config utility, like JDazell mentioned. You're very close to getting most of those stations in, so a little positioning tweaking might be all that is needed.

nrcyclist

Re: Signal Chart

Post by nrcyclist »

@neds You posted a screen shot of a chart showing signal strength and quality in this post: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=75371&p=372867#p372867
Do you have a tool or app that generates the chart?

JDazell

Re: Signal Chart

Post by JDazell »

nrcyclist wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:05 am @neds You posted a screen shot of a chart showing signal strength and quality in this post: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=75371&p=372867#p372867
Do you have a tool or app that generates the chart?
Ned, I am also interested in how the graph was compiled. If there is a non-proprietary app available, that would be perfect for my business.
Jeff