Does SD make a tuner with transcoder?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
stevemac00

Does SD make a tuner with transcoder?

Post by stevemac00 »

I currently have HDHomeRun HDHR5-2US and it works perfect (using channels server) but I'd like to record in a more compressed format like H.264 instead of MPEG-2.

Does SD have a tuner with hardware streaming transcoder? If not, are there other suggestions? (I can easily transcode after recording but I'd like to transcode a streaming format real time.)

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Does SD make a tuner with transcoder?

Post by NedS »

At the moment we do not have a product with built-in transcoding.

If you are not using our DVR service, Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin are options that can be set up on a mini PC or certain NAS models that will transcode on-the-fly. The Nvidia Shield Pro can also transcode-record on-the-fly with a USB hard drive, and also double as a viewing device.

If you are using our DVR service, the easiest option at the moment would probably be MCEBuddy. It costs $30, but is very awesome and works with a ton of different formats and services. It post-processes the recordings using a Windows PC to do various things, including transcoding to smaller file sizes, detecting/removing commercials, renaming/organizing files, and more. It will also preserve the HDHomeRun DVR metadata, so the converted files can still be read by the HDHomeRun app.

A free option would be to use something like HandBrake ( handbrake.fr ) to individually concert files to a number of options (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's very easy to use, but I don't believe it will preserve the metadata, so converted files would need additional handling to be read by the HDHomeRun app (such as https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/HDHRUtil ). One option to keep things free and easy might be to use the HDHomeRun app for most live TV/recording activities, deleting shows you don't want to keep long-term, but then use something like HandBrake for anything you want to save long-term, and then just use a different media app to view the long-term library of media (Kodi, or free versions of Plex/Emby, etc).

stevemac00

Re: Does SD make a tuner with transcoder?

Post by stevemac00 »

Thanks for the informative reply with options.