Streamer?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
3ton

Streamer?

Post by 3ton »

What is the best/cheapest device that can do the HDhomerun app with also being able to do Netflix and Amazon prime? Preferably with lan connection. Have an old LCD Vizio tv that is a dumb tv and would like to hookup for a guest in the house.

Jedi71

Re: Streamer?

Post by Jedi71 »

I'd go for a Chromecast with Google TV

3ton

Post by 3ton »

Jedi71 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:08 pm I'd go for a Chromecast with Google TV
Is it better than a cheap android box? Does Chromecast do drm?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Cheap android box often means no DRM... Android (google) TV should always support DRM provided they are not rooted. My favorites on the low end in price are the new Chromecast with Google TV (make sure it is the new one with Google TV), the Tivo Stream 4K, and the Jetstream 4K... I also had good luck with the Verizon Stream TV but haven't used it for awhile (and primarily use the chromecasts these days). I don't recommend the MiBox as too often their firmware upgrades caused more issues over the years. The first 2 are dongles but usually an adapter will allow wired ethernet connection... the later are boxes that have ethernet.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

I don't have a Google Chromecast, but I vote for the Tivo Stream 4k, even though it does not have an Ethernet port.

3ton

Post by 3ton »

signcarver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 pm Cheap android box often means no DRM... Android (google) TV should always support DRM provided they are not rooted. My favorites on the low end in price are the new Chromecast with Google TV (make sure it is the new one with Google TV), the Tivo Stream 4K, and the Jetstream 4K... I also had good luck with the Verizon Stream TV but haven't used it for awhile (and primarily use the chromecasts these days). I don't recommend the MiBox as too often their firmware upgrades caused more issues over the years. The first 2 are dongles but usually an adapter will allow wired ethernet connection... the later are boxes that have ethernet.
Okay, I feel dumb. I have a 65" 4k Sony Android OLED XBR-65A8G tv a year or two old. When I bought it, it was an android tv, but now I am researching the Chromecast with Google TV and from what I am reading it is now google tv. I noticed something different between the newest Sony OLED tv and my older Sony LCD android tv, but just thought it had not updated.

So am I right that the interface of the Chromecast with google tv is the same as my Sony OLED tv? If true I guess Chromecast is the way to go.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Chromecast isn't useful... you need Android TV.

With that said Jedi71's suggestion is good - Google's new "Chromecast with Google TV" is actually a Android TV dongle, just with a confusing name. Everything else with Chromecast in the name isn't Android and won't be useful. You have to buy the Ethernet power dongle separately which adds to the price a little.

Nick

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

signcarver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 pm My favorites on the low end in price are the ..... the Tivo Stream 4
Looks like the TiVo Stream may end up being a dead-end, as the CEO admitted in the most recent earnings call that they are not going to be able to out-Google Google in presenting relevant related search results (which the latest Google TV UI does).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Still a great device what really killed it for tivo was not integrating it with the tivo. As long as they don't kill it again with a bad firmware upgrade (all the devices have had them at one time or another but it seems only tivo, Nvidia, and google seemed to be more proactive in fixing though that will probably be no more with the tivo) it should be viable for a few years.

I do not suggest anyone locking in to one particular device.

3ton

Post by 3ton »

signcarver wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:25 pm Still a great device what really killed it for tivo was not integrating it with the tivo. As long as they don't kill it again with a bad firmware upgrade (all the devices have had them at one time or another but it seems only tivo, Nvidia, and google seemed to be more proactive in fixing though that will probably be no more with the tivo) it should be viable for a few years.

I do not suggest anyone locking in to one particular device.
I got the TiVo stream 4k. I like it for what I need. Do not really care for the app TiVo stream. I just use it for the apps, Hdhomerun, Netflix, Amazon Prime, VLC, and PBS.

The TiVo was easier to hook up to the wired internet. I just found cables and adapters in my house and hooked it up. No special adapter from google needed. Saved 40 bucks with TiVo over google.

Thanks All.