Want to switch from windows to mac?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jph1589

Want to switch from windows to mac?

Post by jph1589 »

I currently have a windows 10 laptop with an external WD hard drive. I am running all the latest software updates etc.

Installed is the HDhomerun DVR and my recordings go to the WD drive. I have the HD homerun duo connected directly to my router.

I watch tv and record from cable channels. Everything works perfectly.

I just saw the preorder info for the new imac with m1 cpu. I might have to buy it. It just looks too sweet to pass up.

Will my hdhomerun software and dvr work on the imac? I will upgrade its ssd drive so that i dont need the external storage.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Want to switch from windows to mac?

Post by NedS »

It should work. It's not Apple Silicon "native" yet, but Rosetta 2 seems to do a good job with it.

jph1589

Post by jph1589 »

Thankyou!

jph1589

Post by jph1589 »

Another question.

When i move from Windows 10 to the Imac, if I were to purchase a Servio, do i still need to have a DVR running on the iMac to manage the recordings, or is that running on the servio?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

SERVIO would take over all recording functions. No other computer or storage required. Other DVR instances are supported, though, so you could optionally run the SERVIO and a Mac or PC with DVR software, and they would be consolidated together.

jph1589

Post by jph1589 »

Thanks

jph1589

Re: Want to switch from windows to mac? (servio installed)

Post by jph1589 »

I purchased the Servio and decided to install if before my iMac gets here. I went into the hdhomerun setup and told it to no longer to record to my laptop. Then I hooked up the servio power and network cable to the router. Went to My..hdhomerun.com and there is was. I clicked on it and it was ready to go.
When I started up the Hdhomerun viewer it showed the servio as the dvr and everything worked perfect. I manually recorded a show and that was fine also.

So now i have a 2TB dvr sitting next to my connect duo and it really configured itself. And by the way it was cheaper than an external drive. Wow!!

Thank you Silicon Dust!!

jph1589

Post by jph1589 »

I plugged in the iMac about 3 hours ago. It took about 5 minutes to setup the hdhomerun software and it works perfectly.