HDHR5-4K & HDFX-4K Spamming Router Logs

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
alhaunts

HDHR5-4K & HDFX-4K Spamming Router Logs

Post by alhaunts »

I'm a longtime happy HDHR user. I recently replaced my older HDHR3 & HDHR4 with a new HDHR5-4K and an even newer HDFX-4K. Both units are spamming the log of my Edgerouter every minute or so with entries like these:

"ubnt miniupnpd[2497]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.56.130:1900 not from a LAN, ignoring"

Both tuners seem to be functioning properly & have DHCP assigned addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. Is it expected behavior for the newer tuners to spew SSDP packets from a Link-Local address? Anyway to fix this?

Cheers, Al.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5-4K & HDFX-4K Spamming Router Logs

Post by nickk »

The HDHomeRun sends out DLNA announcements every 10 minutes as per DLNA requirements.

The HDHomeRun maintains two IPv4 addresses - DHCP and link-local, same as how IPv6 networks do things.

It might be ok to suppress sending link-local DLNA announcements when a DHCP address is present... I will bring it up internally.

Nick

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

Thanks Nick. The only reason I'm asking is it makes the router log useless for catching other, more serious issues that may arise.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Probably a good idea to file a bug against the router as well.

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

My (limited) understanding of the DLNA thing is that most well behaved hardware quits doing link-local broadcasts once it gets a proper LAN address.
The Edgerouter logging is just performing as designed when a non-LAN address device hits on it.

If this can't be fixed in firmware on the HDHR, then I suppose it could be dealt with on this end with a router firewall rule, but that seems the clumsy way to do it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

alhaunts wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm My (limited) understanding of the DLNA thing is that most well behaved hardware quits doing link-local broadcasts once it gets a proper LAN address.
The Edgerouter logging is just performing as designed when a non-LAN address device hits on it.
The old Windows IPv4 convention was to do DHCP for a while, then eventually switch to link-local AutoIP address.
The modern IPv6 convention is to maintain both an assigned address and a link-local address.

Here it is IPv4 but the convention used by IPv6 makes much more sense - that is what we do.
The 169.254.x.x is a link-local LAN address.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm
alhaunts wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm My (limited) understanding of the DLNA thing is that most well behaved hardware quits doing link-local broadcasts once it gets a proper LAN address.
The old Windows IPv4 convention was to do DHCP for a while, then eventually switch to link-local AutoIP address.
The modern IPv6 convention is to maintain both an assigned address and a link-local address.

Here it is IPv4 but the convention used by IPv6 makes much more sense - that is what we do.
The 169.254.x.x is a link-local LAN address.
Does that mean this falls under "WONTFIX"? Ignoring precedent for IPv4 (à la Windows), but instead applying IPv6 standards to IPv4 networks, which no one else is doing?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

There is no problem (nothing to fix) regarding the HDHomeRun maintaining both a DHCP address and an AutoIP address.

The may be a case to be made for restricting the DLNA announcements to the primary IP address - we will discuss this internally.

Nick

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 pm There is no problem (nothing to fix) regarding the HDHomeRun maintaining both a DHCP address and an AutoIP address.

The may be a case to be made for restricting the DLNA announcements to the primary IP address - we will discuss this internally.

Nick
Any update on if/when you can implement this improvement into the firmware?

Al.

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

have you coming to a decision about this issue?

Al.