HDHomeRun Prime Channels Not Detected

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sgtstadanko

HDHomeRun Prime Channels Not Detected

Post by sgtstadanko »

So i am setting up new HDHomerun Prime and the initial channel scan is not detecting anything. This is my setup:

Provider - Spectrum (SDV)
1 ) Cisco Cable Card
2) Cisco Tuning Adapter/Resolver
3) Clients - HD homerun app (osx and windows) and Plex.

Cabling - 1 cable into room/house with cable co supplied splitter. one side of splitter to the tuning adapter, the other side of splitter into hdhomerun, USB from HDhomerun to Tuning Adpater. Note this is the same wiring diagram i used on my tivo with a cable card/tuning adapter combo and it worked like a champ. Running cable into tuning adapter and then from the cable out on tuning adapter to cable card always provided mixed results on the tivo until i changed the setup to direct line from splitter to both devices.

My Status-
Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock success
Card Validation success
Tuning Resolver ready

When i go into Chanel lineup and hit scan it runs for about 30-45 minutes then completes but no channels are found/saved.
HDHomeRun PRIME
Channel Lineup
Found 0 programs (50%)
Stop Channel Detection
Channels (0)

During the scan I can go into the Tuner status page and see the channel numbers/names pulling on Tuner0:
HDHomeRun PRIME
Tuner Status
Summary
Tuner 0
Tuner 1
Tuner 2
Summary
Tuner 0 Channel 509 ESPNCE5
Tuner 1 Channel not in use
Tuner 2 Channel not in use

I have tried rebooting both devices.

Here is my Tuning Adapter status page:
Tuning Resolver Status
Authentication success
Downstream success
Upstream in progress
Operational Status ready
User Inactivity 0 minutes

Any hdhomerun gurus out there have any ideas? The only odd things i see are the "Upstream - in progress".

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Prime Channels Not Detected

Post by signcarver »

You will need the tuning adapter to have upstream. Some people find it best to boot the TA without connecting the USB cable until it is ready. With cisco TA's it usually doesn't matter if split or daisy chained as it is supposed to compensate but some TA's may have issues at the low end (required for OOB) or at the high end (required for some channels, usually starting around 500MHz or higher if issues) so I recommend splitting... the output of a Moto TA would be like attaching a 4 way splitter so one never should use the output of that.

Double check the card status in the CA page (should be ready)

Which provider as typically comcast and verizon (both rarely use cisco and in the case of verizon I think they "never" use cisco but added the ability to use both in some markets). In the case of spectrum it highly depends on what the market was pre merge as TWC and most Brighthouse areas will have DRM on all so plex would be a no go, Former charter areas were split weather DRM or not. Cox typically has DRM on all as well.

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

Thanks for the reply. The main card status page says all is ready:

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer Technicolor/Cisco
Card Authentication success
Card Validation success
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 73.250 MHz
OOB Lock 1.544 Mbps
Signal Strength 100% (0.9 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.9 dB)
Channel List tuning-resolver

The detailed CA screen says:
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Conditional Access Details

System Id: 0x0E00
Internal Secure Micro Serial No:
02:08:00:6B:21:F5
Secure Micro Software Ver:
CA Time:
Waiting For Update...
Time GBAM: 0
App GBAM: 0
Purchase GBAM: 0
EMMs Processed: 0
More CA Details

Not sure if "Conditional Access Details" and "Status: Not Staged" are problematic. Tuning adapter still says "Upstream: In progress" but its in the middle of another channel scan so... IF i reboot the the TA again and dont have the USB cable hooked up, how will i read the status to know when "Upstream: Success" comes up? Does it pull it off the coax line instead of the USB cable?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Basically you need to get your provider to send the hit to change not staged to ready... some providers may need a service call to do that as they need to contact the dncs operator in the local office to send the hit. Basically that is the same issue if a box was not plugged into the coax "network" in the past 30 days to get the periodic updates....

as for the TA and not pugging in the USB (yet) you don't read the status.... you wait for the led's to stop blinking then attach the cable but that isn't your main problem.

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

would going into the online equipment reset screens for the cable card send out the hit? when i intially set this up, i called the CC support line and they said they could see it and all was good. Also logs were showing successful auth and what not.

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

nevermind. Spectrum wont let you reset the cards that way. It give you an error screen

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

i got them to send a bunch of signals over and it now says Status: Ready instead of Not Staged. Channels are popluating on scan! Of course they mostly say DRM so we will see what works and doesnt in app.

Also tuning adapter still says "In progress" for upstream so may have to swap out for the old one and see if that fixes. It might not change channels as it is.

Thanks for the help.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

I had typed a long reply but you got the right hit (hopefully an auditing system doesn't kick in and remove it)

With DRM you would need WMC (windows 7/8) to record the channels but you can watch them live on many platforms with the HDHomeRun app (AndroidTV, Windows 10, iOS) and if you have a sufficient amount of ram on the client, you may even be able to do some pausing and skipping. You won't be able to get the DRM channels to work with plex (if they are actually DRM protected when you tune them).

I would pull the plug on the TA and try to get it up (I'd try first with the USB and then if that didn't work in an hour, again by disconnecting USB and waiting for the LED's to stop flashing prior to connecting the USB cable)

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

Thanks. I did not realize how many channels Spectrum flags as DRM. Out of 300+ channels, only around 10 are viewable. Kind of a bummer. They work on Windows App and Android phone but thats about it. No Plex, No Mac, No Roku, No Google TV (which is odd considering its Android).

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

They should work with the hdhomerun app on Google TV, what model (assuming you are referringto android models as mentioned and not the ancient one). Main thing is device must be official which is why I said androidtv rather than android as typically all those are properly licensed compared to generic android. Usually the issue on android/google tv is it being rooted or location services off and some require wifi to be on for such to work.

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

Its the new one with the actual interface. Google TV with Chromecast

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

So i dug out my "old" nvidia shield tv 2017. It all works there and with the new "Live Channels" it will let you combine both of hdhomeruns (connect duo ota and prime) with pluto tv all in one interface, which is nice.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Chromecast with google tv works fine with DRM protected channels (I use 3 of them daily). The trick is usually getting location services set up (and you may need to clear cache/data from app and reboot). There are some cases that your network may not meet requirements (wifi needs a certain level of encryption, requirement of RTT <7ms (and I really think SD's app requires <5ms when all is said and done) etc.) Also make sure no VPN and that it is not a rooted device.

sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

cool. i added location permissions and rebooted still nothing. I will try clear caches. thanks.

jhford

Post by jhford »

sgtstadanko wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am So i dug out my "old" nvidia shield tv 2017. It all works there and with the new "Live Channels" it will let you combine both of hdhomeruns (connect duo ota and prime) with pluto tv all in one interface, which is nice.
Maybe I should buy a used 2017 Nvidia Shield. 🤔 Could you please tell me how to cross-connect the Shield, the Tuning Adapter, the HDHR Prime, the Cable Modem, and the Router? It would be greatly appreciated.