Buffering making watching impossible.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
CordCutterNewb

Buffering making watching impossible.

Post by CordCutterNewb »

I Just received, connected, updated firmware, scanned channels. Set up a few recordings for DVR.
Buffering is making it impossible to watch anything.
Moved the antenna and scanned again, got an extra channel!
Back to watching and still buffering...
Finally, get a message:
Playback Error - We could not reliably play your live TV channel, it may be due to weak signal.

I disconnect the antenna from the HDHR and plug into the TV, scan for channels and get crystal clear reception. ABC, NBC, PBS, Univision, Exitos, Telemundo, Air, Bounce, Laff.

Back to Plex - same channels available, but buffering. I don't see anything to adjust in any menu.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you for your comments!

HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO - Version HDHR5-2US FW:20210224
Using Plex on ROKU Streambar or Plex web on computer.
Plex Server on Netgear ReadyNAS 316 - recently reformatted and factory reset. So a very clear install - updated to plexmediaserver_1.22.1.4228-724c56e62_amd64

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Buffering making watching impossible.

Post by signcarver »

what happens when you watch with official app as this sounds like it needs to be moved to 3rd party as it is a plex issue.

I am very surprised you ever got such a setup working with that old processor in that NAS which I believe was released around the same time quicksync came out on sandy (and I wouldn't even think of live transcoding with sandy as even ivy was that much better) and a roku streambar and I believe plex web would be similar as you would most likely need transcoding with your plex server.

CordCutterNewb

Post by CordCutterNewb »

The official app on the Roku(?) is worse. The shows never even appear.
I have been able to watch several channels in my setup, but not ABC which is the only one I care to record. It's only for the local/national evening news at 5 & 5:30.

Thank you for your comments.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Don't trust the Roku at all. Try the HDHomeRun app on a platform that is known to work well - Windows 10, Mac, Android, iOS, Apple TV.

CordCutterNewb

Post by CordCutterNewb »

Ok tried the HDHomerun app on my Android (2020 Samsung Tablet). Same buffering, pixelation and finally it freezes. Mostly on ABC some other channels are okay. Maybe a different antenna. Off to research indoor antennae.
Thanks again for your input!

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

What's your network setup like? The HDHomeRun has higher network bandwidth requirements than most streaming apps, so things like weak wifi signals or power saving/QoS/"fairness" settings that lower the transfer speed for what the router assumes isn't high priority traffic can cause these types of issues.

i.e. some routers have a default setting to give priority to smaller file sizes more common with general web browsing, and sees the transport stream from the HDHomeRun as a large file, so it thinks it's something that doesn't need to arrive as fast as possible like a software update or LAN file transfer. And some 2.4 GHz wifi connections will switch to 10 Mbps or lower if the signal level is below a certain threshold, while most HD channels use bitrates between 6-15 Mbps.