Newbie question

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
crarbo1

Newbie question

Post by crarbo1 »

I have had Ceton cable card tuner in the past but this is my first time having the SiliconDust Prime cable card tuner. Xfinity just released new channels and I can't seem to find a way to get that new list downloaded to the device. I see a "Detect Channels" button but that doesn't give me the new channels. I have confirmed I have the new channels on the Xfinity Stream app and I can now access it on Channels with TVE. Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Chuck

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: Newbie question

Post by kyl416 »

If it's like what Xfinity has been doing with new additions in other cities, those new channels are likely delivered over IP for their X1 boxes, so they are not available on QAM tuners like the Prime or Ceton.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Unfortunately, most new Comcast/Xfinity channels are going to be IP-based and not available to CableCARD systems like the PRIME.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

Thanks but one thing that I wasn't clear about is technically the channel isn't new, it was previously in a package that I didn't get but they moved it to the package I have. They moved FS2 from a higher tiered package to a lower tier package that I have. Does that make a difference?

Also, is "Detect Channels" the only way to get the list of available channels or is there another way to force a refresh of the channels from Xfinity?

Thanks,
Chuck

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

They have had ip channels for years so it may or may not make a difference. The scan is the only way to be added foe SD's apps to use, other apps may not even need a scan and go by the channel number provided in their guide but most modern apps at least partially rely on scan.

I would first check that they get an entry for it by specifying ?show=all at the end of the lineup url (you may also wish to get the json and add &tuning ie http://<ip-of-tuner>/lineup.json?show=all&tuning ... if you go this route make sure frequency isn't 999 MHz) If the channel is in that list, assuming not drm protected, try to open it manually with something like vlc (http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v## where ## is the expected virtual channel number, I would suggest copying a url for a subscribed channel either by the link on the number or from the json and replace the channel number with the ne you want, then check the logs if it doesn't work). Often what you described may require your provider to update your subscribed channels to the card.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

signcarver wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 am They have had ip channels for years so it may or may not make a difference. The scan is the only way to be added foe SD's apps to use, other apps may not even need a scan and go by the channel number provided in their guide but most modern apps at least partially rely on scan.

I would first check that they get an entry for it by specifying ?show=all at the end of the lineup url (you may also wish to get the json and add &tuning ie http://<ip-of-tuner>/lineup.json?show=all&tuning ... if you go this route make sure frequency isn't 999 MHz) If the channel is in that list, assuming not drm protected, try to open it manually with something like vlc (http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v## where ## is the expected virtual channel number, I would suggest copying a url for a subscribed channel either by the link on the number or from the json and replace the channel number with the ne you want, then check the logs if it doesn't work). Often what you described may require your provider to update your subscribed channels to the card.
signcarver,
Thanks for the information. I did the "?show=all" at the end and it now shows channels crossed out, which is ones that I guess I don't subscribe too. However, the channel that got added to my plan, FS2, should be channel 1209 and that doesn't show up at all. I think I remember that with the Ceton tuners I had to request a new channel list. I'm not sure what that did but I guess it had to download an new list from Xfinity. Is that what "Detect Channels" button do on that screen? It doesn't say download channel list so I wasn't sure if there was two things that needed to happen. The first is to download a new list from Xfinity and then second would be detect the channels from the list on the cable card. I couldn't see a way to request a new channel list unless the Detect Channels button does that.

I tried to use VLC to tune a channel I know works using this format: http://192.168.xx.xx:5004/auto/v1208 and it did but when I did the channel the moved channel's number, it said it can't be opened. I guess that makes sense since it doesn't show up in the list.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Comcast's history with FS2 is really weird, like unless you were in an area that previously carried FuelTV prior to Comcast aquiring your system, most Comcast systems didn't have FS2 at all until after 2018 while the HD feed wasn't added to many of those systems until 2020. So it's possible it was never available as a QAM channel in your area.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

kyl416 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm Comcast's history with FS2 is really weird, like unless you were in an area that previously carried FuelTV prior to Comcast aquiring your system, most Comcast systems didn't have FS2 at all until after 2018. So it's possible it was never available as a QAM channel in your area.
kyl416,
Thanks for that information. However, I do know that they do have as a QAM channel because I used to have the package it was in when I had my cable cards in my Ceton tuners. It worked fine there. I downgraded my package and lost that channel. However, for some reason, they moved FS2 down a package and I now have it. I can access it via TVE in Channels using my Xfinity credentials and also on the Xfinity Stream app. I'm not sure why it is not showing up but it doesn't detect it if I click the "detect channels" button. I'm not sure what that exactly does. I thought in the Ceton app it was a two step process in that you first had to pull/request a new channel lineup to be downloaded and then you would detect them and enable them. However, I could be incorrect.

Thanks for the input,
Chuck

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Check to see if there's another entry for FS2 lower in your lineup. The new 1000s range where channels are grouped by genre usually only map to the HD feeds, and FS2's HD feed might be IP only in your area, while the SD feed is still available as a QAM channel in the 3 digit range.

Any chance you could provide your city or zip code? I could look it up to see where the 3 digit version is on your lineup since they might be using a non-standard abbreviation like "FoxS2" or "FxSp2".

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

kyl416 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pm Check to see if there's another entry for FS2 lower in your lineup. The new 1000s range where channels are grouped by genre usually only map to the HD feeds, and FS2's HD feed might be IP only in your area, while the SD feed is still available as a QAM channel in the 3 digit range.

Any chance you could provide your city or zip code? I could dig around to see where the 3 digit version is on your lineup since they might be using a non-standard abbreviation that is hard to search for.
kyl416,
You were right. There was a channel for FS2 and it was 737, which I think is just SD. So, maybe they are doing what you mentioned by only providing the SD version as a QAM channel and not the HD version. Good thing this is not the case on all the other channels I watch. I think the TV Everywhere feed is HD, I think anyway, so I can use that one as a priority over the actual cable card channel. That is if I can do that in Channels. I normally have my CC tuner as the priority over TVE channels though. So I may not be able to do just one channel like that. I guess that question is for another forum.

Thanks for the help,
Chuck