Fed up

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
cdurys

Fed up

Post by cdurys »

Been with Silicondust it seems forever. Always got the newest hardware. etc. But it is unusable the OTA does not work . Period. I cannot increase the signal to get it to work I cannot attenuate the signal to get to work. Pugging the antenna directly into the TV results in a perfect picture on almost every channel . On any of my HDHomeruns it is unusable an getting worse. I didn't go for the newest kickstarter for ATSC3 because I DON'T TRUST THE THE HARDWARE ANYMORE! I cannot use the hardware I own now. The only answer I ever get is that you're giving it too much signal. well I try to attenuate it and all That happens is it gets worse. All the while my cheap TCL tv has no problem tuning anything. There is something wrong with the hardware that no one wants to admit.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Fed up

Post by nickk »

Hi,

We can check what is going on - can you please run HDHomeRun Setup and enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab then run a channel scan on the Digital Antenna tab. When complete please post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

One thing to check if you are seeing problems with multiple HDHomeRun devices - we are seeing more areas getting 618MHz LTE / cellular which is right in the middle of the old broadcast TV band. A single tuner TV like your TCL can back of the RF gain and increase the IF gain to compensate at the expense of worse signal-to-noise performance which you may not notice. The HDHomeRun has multiple tuners and a high quality amplified splitter - the tuners can better handle LTE interference up until the interference is strong enough to affect the amplified splitter, at which point the signal quickly degrades.

We can usually confirm if this is the problem from a channel scan with diagnostic logging. It is easily fixed with a filter.

Nick

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

cdurys wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:11 pm Been with Silicondust it seems forever. Always got the newest hardware. etc. But it is unusable the OTA does not work . Period. I cannot increase the signal to get it to work I cannot attenuate the signal to get to work. Pugging the antenna directly into the TV results in a perfect picture on almost every channel . On any of my HDHomeruns it is unusable an getting worse. I didn't go for the newest kickstarter for ATSC3 because I DON'T TRUST THE THE HARDWARE ANYMORE! I cannot use the hardware I own now. The only answer I ever get is that you're giving it too much signal. well I try to attenuate it and all That happens is it gets worse. All the while my cheap TCL tv has no problem tuning anything. There is something wrong with the hardware that no one wants to admit.
Hang in there and follow the trouble shooting steps given. Nick and his staff will get this working for you.
I have installed many dozens of the HDHR devices and they all work solidly. Yes a couple had issues but as Nick indicated, those instances can be remediated. Your confidence will be reinstated :-)

cdurys

Post by cdurys »

Ok scanning now. device ID 104F334F
Ordered filter will be here tomorrow

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

cdurys wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm Ok scanning now. device ID 104F334F
Ordered filter will be here tomorrow
How did the filter insertion go? Fix your issue?