Using PVR 3.5.1 problems

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Rickt1962

Re: Using PVR 3.5.1 problems

Post by Rickt1962 »

signcarver wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am The device logs he was referring to are on the device... System Status (or System Menu), System Log.

Typically DeviceAuth will change after any reboot and every 8 hours... though I never tried it, it may also change after any change in ip address as it would need to contact SD so the change can be seen in my.hdhomerun.com and my suspicions of some of those errors in my mind implies that the ip address changed (or at least couldn't be reached).

Are you turning anything on your network off and/or do you have a very low dhcp lease time set?
Well I screwed up ! After the firmware update and found the logs they have been erased with the new firmware :(

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

any time the device reboots it gets erased... I would probably make sure you have sending of diagnostics data turned on so it logs such boots to SD (it will remain on for 10 days). When the issue comes up again, post back with your DeviceID so SD can take a look at the logs as they may see some things that you won't be able to.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

After a 100% successful extended 24-hour test on a Vero 4K+ and reviewing the addon code I completely concur with signcarver -- enable diagnostics on the tuners and see if SiliconDust can determine what's going on.

I don't know enough about the tuners to be able to explain why yours are coming up with new DeviceAuth codes so often, but I think it's a reasonable hypothesis that the guide error is happening because the SiliconDust backend is refusing to accept the supplied code(s), perhaps because the tuner hasn't been able to communicate with SiliconDust. Sadly Kodi isn't logging the actual HTTP error that is occurring, in this case it should be a 403, it's just indicating an error retrieving the data.

I apologize for being incorrect about my original hypothesis; I had never seen DeviceAuth codes cycle that quickly and jumped to a conclusion based on my own devices. Re-reviewing the OSMC logs and seeing that the Vero is also having problems communicating with the tuner devices over HTTP to get the lineups via the IP addresses the tuners themselves provided during UDP discovery is definitely a flag.

I have a couple "out there" ideas you can try out if you want:

1) I see from the logs you still have my addon installed. If you can live without Guide data for a bit, if you disable (zoltan) pvr.hdhomerun and enable (zuki) pvr.hdhomerundvr, I do log the underlying HTTP error code if there is a problem getting something like lineups. My addon also happens to include it's own HTTP stack (still cURL, but a much newer version) so it's possible you may not run into the same issues, but I'm betting you will. Bonus here is that the time period for refreshing lineups is configurable. It defaults to 45 minutes, but if you go into the addon settings' Discovery Intervals you can dial "Channel lineups" down as low as 1 minute if you want to. That's just a tad extreme under normal circumstances, but it might help to pinpoint exactly how long the tuners become unreachable over HTTP. The (zoltan) built-in addon is hard-coded to 1 hour, you can't change it. edit: Note that by design I do not log the DeviceAuth codes or any backend URLs since they typically need that to be present; I consider that data to be PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and treat it accordingly.

2) Check to see if there is any type of beta/pre-release kernel/os for your Vero out there. I had never been able to playback ripped Blu-Ray over Wifi on the 4K until I installed the preview os and driver changes that will go live for their Matrix release. It made a massive performance difference for me. It's very possible, yet seems a bit unlikely given the symptoms, that the Vero is where the problem exists. It's worth a try IMO, but I am also rather risk averse since I have a drawer full of "tiny Kodi boxes" I can use if I break one :)

Here's hoping the solution is quick and painless for you!

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Well I deleted the other 2 HDhomerun apps I don't use.

After the new firmware was installed the HDHomeRun setup is not working properly. Under Configuration tab the 2 boxes show up but I can't click on them to bring up the Explorer Window so I can check on Tuner Status. The work around is 10.0.0.10 direct input in Explorer to bring it up.

I also did the 10 day diagnostic information

My ID for one of my boxes is 1324F16D

Latest log shows less errors after removing the HDHomeRun plugins
https://paste.osmc.tv/voxekaruci

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I see no HTTP errors in the most recent log (thanks), the addon update cycle is one hour though, perfectly happy to look at any additional logs for you.

Side question: are your tuners configured with static DHCP addresses? If not, I highly recommend it.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

djp952 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:10 am I see no HTTP errors in the most recent log (thanks), the addon update cycle is one hour though, perfectly happy to look at any additional logs for you.

Side question: are your tuners configured with static DHCP addresses? If not, I highly recommend it.
I have my WD Mycloud on a static IP but the tuners have never changed in the past 4 years at 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11 for the second tuner.

The guide seems to be keeping up to date :)

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Spoke to soon :( starting at 7 pm the guide is "No information available"

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Rickt1962 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm Spoke to soon :( starting at 7 pm the guide is "No information available"
Same errors in the logs?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

djp952 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:52 pm
Rickt1962 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm Spoke to soon :( starting at 7 pm the guide is "No information available"
Same errors in the logs?
Having trouble getting logs until I opened up the HDhomerun PVR app and turned off the logging on it.

https://paste.osmc.tv/uvivedefuc

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Sadly that addon doesn't report any errors unless you have "Debug logging" enabled. Debug logging is an extreme inconvenience in Kodi, but ends up being necessary for troubleshooting. Let me know if you'd like me to PR that addon to report HTTP errors in the log regardless of the current Kodi logging level. Personally I think this makes sense -- anything unexpected should be logged. It's difficult/impossible to troubleshoot otherwise. Based on the last posted log everything is perfectly cool :)

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

djp952 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:47 pm Sadly that addon doesn't report any errors unless you have "Debug logging" enabled. Debug logging is an extreme inconvenience in Kodi, but ends up being necessary for troubleshooting. Let me know if you'd like me to PR that addon to report HTTP errors in the log regardless of the current Kodi logging level. Personally I think this makes sense -- anything unexpected should be logged. It's difficult/impossible to troubleshoot otherwise. Based on the last posted log everything is perfectly cool :)
Well today the log is full of errors
https://paste.osmc.tv/sabiludebo

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Rickt1962 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:43 pm Well today the log is full of errors
https://paste.osmc.tv/sabiludebo
Agreed, but those are different errors and are actually pretty benign in nature. The plethora of errors in this particular log indicate that Kodi has disassociated EPG channels. My opinion is that these should be DEBUG level events rather than ERROR level events since they do not directly impact functionality, but that's me.

Outside of a code change and rebuild of the addon you will need to have DEBUG logging enabled to see the Guide data fetch errors happening. They will simply not show up otherwise.

If you want to get rid of those errors in the log you will need to "Clear Data" in Kodi to reset the TV and EPG databases; there is no other way I am aware of. Once an EPG database entry has been disassociated there is no other way to fix that, and they will continue to be reported.

The problem you are looking for is an error from "CCurlFile" saying that a JSON data request failed to execute. Unless DEBUG logging is enabled, these will fail silently.