CONNECT 4K HD issue

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tvnewsmatt
Device ID: 10818AE0

CONNECT 4K HD issue

Post by tvnewsmatt »

I'm running an HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K (20210303beta1) with OTA antenna, hard-wired to my router, and am using Mac HomeRun software to manage and view. I'm only receiving ATSC 1.0 signals here, and am finding that I have lots of break-up with choppy audio and video only on HD channels, while SD sub-channels on the same frequency are solid -- all when watching through HDHR or recording on my HDHR's dedicated DVR. The same RF connection on other TV tuners and TiVo shows solid signals on all channels. The HDHR was fine when I first installed it, not sure if one of the firmware updates did this or if it was something else.

I've opened a ticket (#146448) and have emailed with Support, but have not been able to resolve.

Has any one else seen anything like this? Anything else I might be able to try before I ask for an RMA?

Thank you for the help!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: CONNECT 4K HD issue

Post by NedS »

Hey, I'm Ned, we've been talking over your support ticket as well. Even the signal levels are looking pretty healthy these last few days, and as you said, you're not having an issue with SD channels on the same frequencies. It's odd. I'll ask the boss (who's also our main engineer) about this on Monday and see what he thinks, and if necessary, we'll send you another unit to try.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Have you tried watching using the HDHomeRun app on something other than the Mac? If the SD channels work then it's probably not a device issue, but rather something somewhere on the network connection (run a packet loss test and see if you get dots or n's) or the decoding on the Mac. Hardwiring is ideal but bad cables do happen, and sometimes computers (both Windows and Mac) will randomly decide to use wifi even when ethernet is available.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

If you can copy one of your HD recordings to a thumb drive or other USB device and move that to your Mac, that would bypass any Ethernet or WiFi problem. If it plays well, then you can look into your LAN connections. I've read that under certain circumstances a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet can revert to 10 Mbps which is fast enough for MPEG-2 SD but not HD.

I do have one device that can play MPEG-2 SD but not HD: an old Windows Phone. It's just not powerful enough. If your Mac can't play the recording directly from the thumb drive, it may have a similar problem. And yes, it could be a software upgrade issue. There was a time when my phone could play HD smoothly using the HDHR app but after later updates of the app and Windows itself, it no longer could.

tvnewsmatt

Post by tvnewsmatt »

NedS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:18 pm Hey, I'm Ned, we've been talking over your support ticket as well. Even the signal levels are looking pretty healthy these last few days, and as you said, you're not having an issue with SD channels on the same frequencies. It's odd. I'll ask the boss (who's also our main engineer) about this on Monday and see what he thinks, and if necessary, we'll send you another unit to try.
Ned, I just wanted to say thank you for keeping an eye on this for me, and for running it past your main engineer. You might see some changes and disconnections in my logs, as I was trying different cables, routers, and configurations -- unfortunately, none of the changes I made seemed to make a difference (better or worse).

Thanks again,
Matt

tvnewsmatt

Post by tvnewsmatt »

jasonl wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:11 am Have you tried watching using the HDHomeRun app on something other than the Mac? If the SD channels work then it's probably not a device issue, but rather something somewhere on the network connection (run a packet loss test and see if you get dots or n's) or the decoding on the Mac. Hardwiring is ideal but bad cables do happen, and sometimes computers (both Windows and Mac) will randomly decide to use wifi even when ethernet is available.
Great thoughts -- thank you! I do see the same break-up on an iPad and an iPhone, and on Windows 10 through VMWare. As you suggested, I tried the packet loss test. With two separate test windows using WiFi (5 minutes each, both used different HD channels while I watched an SD on another frequency), I found 5, then 7 lost packets. I will try a hard-wired connection later tonight to see if I have similar results. All of my CAT-6 is new and has passed the continuity test, but I did try some other cables (and even another router) to see if any of the changes helped or hurt. Sadly, I was only able to duplicate the same troubles.

Thank you for the time and ideas!
Matt

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

VMWare doesn't use hardware accelleration for decoding unless you configure it to have direct access to your video card or have a system and GPU that supports VMware's shared pass-through graphics feature, so it's not really a good platform to run video quality tests on.

tvnewsmatt

Post by tvnewsmatt »

ebo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:44 am If you can copy one of your HD recordings to a thumb drive or other USB device and move that to your Mac, that would bypass any Ethernet or WiFi problem. If it plays well, then you can look into your LAN connections. I've read that under certain circumstances a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet can revert to 10 Mbps which is fast enough for MPEG-2 SD but not HD.

I do have one device that can play MPEG-2 SD but not HD: an old Windows Phone. It's just not powerful enough. If your Mac can't play the recording directly from the thumb drive, it may have a similar problem. And yes, it could be a software upgrade issue. There was a time when my phone could play HD smoothly using the HDHR app but after later updates of the app and Windows itself, it no longer could.
Excellent ideas -- thank you! I brought one of my recordings over so it was playing-back locally, rather than from the network, but I still saw the break-up all the way through. Continuing with your thought, I tried some other MPEG-2 files from work (all I had was some .ts files), all played over the network without issue. I do some HD video (mainly .mov and .mxf) editing, and haven't had any issues to speak of (looking for wood to knock-on). The Big Sur OS has had some wonky issues, so I might be working through something very much like you did with your phone!

I'm going to keep an eye on my router to see if I maybe something is going on with a 10/100 port reverting to a 10 Mbps connection.

Thanks again!
Matt

tvnewsmatt

Post by tvnewsmatt »

ebo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:44 am I've read that under certain circumstances a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet can revert to 10 Mbps which is fast enough for MPEG-2 SD but not HD.
SOLVED: I found that there was a switch on my network that was only passing 10 Mbps Ethernet. After replacing the switch, and verifying a 100 Mbps connection was made, I'm seeing no less than a 2 Mbps streaming rate from the HDHR.

Ebo, thank you for the idea -- I'm really happy to have found a solution!