HDHomeRun DUAL SageTV install issue and DVR discussion

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
MattJhsn

HDHomeRun DUAL SageTV install issue and DVR discussion

Post by MattJhsn »

From the device webpage:
HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR-US
Device ID: 1013756C
Firmware: 20200225

Hello there!

I'm setting up my HDHomeRun DUAL device for the first time. I understand we should only whisper it's name because it is legacy. HDHomerun Setup seems to work fine. It found the device on the network and it found a bunch of stations like it should. When I double click on a channel in the Digital Antenna tab, VLC pops up and shows a TV channel. Good.

But VLC is not a very convenient way to watch TV when missing a 10 foot interface, so I need a DVR program. I tried the HDHomerun DVR but it would not work, showing only a black screen. I'm not ready to pay the yearly fee anyway so no loss there.

I picked Sage TV because I didn't immediately understand NextPVR and Myth TV looked like a install hassle and I strongly dislike Kodi from many past re-installs. I also picked Sage because I've used it before and paid for it at version 6.6, "SageTV Media Center for Windows Version 6.6."

So I installed SageTVClientSetupx64_9.2.0_beta_1.104.exe and at the step where it scans for stations, none are detected. It does see the device, but does not detect any channels. I found a very interesting file called 'Digital Antenna.xml' that is full of information so I know the channel config is on the disk.

Any ideas? Should I bail on Sage TV? I wish Windows Media Center was still around, that was easy to use. I'd like a quick install because I basically just want to surf with a remote. I'll make a final DVR software choice later.

Thanks for reading. Help is of course appreciated.

-Matt Johnson

jasonl
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun DUAL SageTV install issue and DVR discussion

Post by jasonl »

I haven't looked at SageTV in a long time, but I seem to remember that it is important to set the BDA setting in HDHomeRun Setup to SageTV and also make sure the SageTV .exe files are given full access in your firewall settings. IIRC there is one main one for the application, and then a separate one that is the tuner backend that also needs it. If that doesn't help you might want to poke around their forums as there are probably more HDHomeRun+SageTV users there than there are here.

MattJhsn

Post by MattJhsn »

Thanks, I'll look into the BDA, I've posted on the SageTV forum, no replies yet.

One item I found that was similar to my problem is that the machine was missing the MPEG-2 codec. Apparently it was not included with windows because of licensing issues. I installed one from the Windows Store were it was available for free and no changes.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I don't think the Windows Store one will work with SageTV. You would need a DirectShow-compatible decoder. I like LAV Filters. Not having the codec shouldn't affect the channel scan though, just actually watching.

MattJhsn

Re: Found capture error message Re: HDHomeRun DUAL SageTV install issue and DVR discussion

Post by MattJhsn »

Hello Jason; Hello Everyone:

I went ahead and installed the lav filters, so maybe that will be good once we get that far. FYI: There is a program called Lav Video Configuration and I have not changed anything there.

I'm a bit confused about the two channel searches, one in HDHomerun Setup and another scan in SageTV. I would think SageTV would use the channels that HDHomerun Setup found. Maybe they don't work together like other display programs do. Part of the confusion is that one works and one does not. Nothing from the SageTV forum so far. I'll go give the thread a kick.

While looking around in SageTV, trying to get channel adding to work, I found an error message.
"The capture device input Silicondust HDHomerun Tuner..." see the image

There are no error codes in this message to give a clue where the problem is. :(

Maybe this is another case of get the channel scan to work and this will start working.
Last edited by MattJhsn on Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattJhsn

Post by MattJhsn »

jasonl wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pm I haven't looked at SageTV in a long time, but I seem to remember that it is important to set the BDA setting in HDHomeRun
I loaded up HDHomeRun Setup and found the BDA Compatibility Mode item. It's currently on Default and Sage TV is not listed in the dropdown.

See screenshot image below.
Image[/url]

mechling-burgh

Post by mechling-burgh »

You have to load sagetv 32 bit for the software to see sagetv in the drop down box. Then install the 64 bit it seems to be a problem with the homerun software. If I remember correctly the nextpvr will also work its a bda driver i believe.

MattJhsn

Post by MattJhsn »

jasonl wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pm ... and also make sure the SageTV .exe files are given full access in your firewall settings. IIRC there is one main one for the application, and then a separate one that is the tuner backend that also needs it ...
This version of SageTV has a all-in-one executable containing both the client and the server. There is a check mark to start and keep the server part running. The other two setup programs are the Client only and the Placeshifter app.

Code: Select all

All-in-one   -- SageTVSetupx64_9.2.0_beta_1.104.exe
Placeshofter -- SageTVPlaceshifterSetupx64_9.2.0_beta_1.104.exe
Client Only  -- SageTVClientSetupx64_9.2.0_beta_1.104.exe
I added SageTV.exe to the firewall and then could see that it had already been modified previously.

There is an image of part of the firewall setup below here.

MattJhsn

Post by MattJhsn »

mechling-burgh wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:34 pm You have to load sagetv 32 bit for the software to see sagetv in the drop down box. Then install the 64 bit it seems to be a problem with the homerun software. If I remember correctly the nextpvr will also work its a bda driver i believe.
:) Thank you for the information above. I now have SageTV working on the 32bit (x86) version. And yes indeed, nextpvr did work as a bda driver.

Best Regards, -Matt

MattJhsn

Re: RESOLVED - Was: HDHomeRun DUAL SageTV install issue and DVR discussion

Post by MattJhsn »

To resolve the issue I was having with the channel scan not working, I downloaded and installed the 32bit version of SageTV instead of the 64bit version I had tried. After the install every channel I tried played. I'm going to stick with the 32 bit for now and probably will uninstall the 64 until I have time to again mess with it.

Thank you in particular to you (you know who you are) for your helpful posts.

So in summary, If you have a legacy device like a "HDHomeRun DUAL," and you want to use SageTV, pick the 32bit version and do not use the 64 bit version unless you want to try some workarounds.

I downloaded the setup files from here:
Github SageTV windows releases
The installer for the main program is: SageTVSetupx86_9.2.2.exe
The other two files provide remote time and space access. You can wait until later to install those.

The SageTV main forum page is here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/index.php
Registration is required to post.

This post shows the current revision notes and a link to the latest version:
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showth ... ostcount=2

Finally, here are the screenshots showing the scan working and a channel displaying.