DUO intermittent loss of one tuner

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mavots

DUO intermittent loss of one tuner

Post by mavots »

I'm not sure when this started, but I have recently seen my HDHomerun DUO lose one of its two tuners (Tuner 0 to be specific). I'm not recording or watching two channels at the same time very often.
When I check a few days later, Tuner 0 is working again.
The connections are all tight. Is the tuner starting to fail?

stuartm

Re: DUO intermittent loss of one tuner

Post by stuartm »

Most likely thing to fail is the power adapter. Try replacing that. Fairly inexpensive from SD or compatible ones are on Amazon.
Here is SD replacement for older DUO: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... 0-2-0-amp/
Newer DUO is different but also available.

mavots

Post by mavots »

Thanks for the power adapter idea.
I've had flaky power adapters in the past so its worth investigating.
I'm not sure exactly how a flaky power adapter would provide power to one tuner and not the other. Either the power adapter is working or not working and the DUO is on or off, not half off.
But I wanted to test your theory with another power adapter. The one that comes with the DUO has a 5v 1.5amp output. Unfortunately, in a house full of unused adapters, I can't find another one of similar output!

Perhaps the DUO is on its last legs. I've also been having problems with signal strength and scheduled DVR recordings that fail after a couple of minutes.
That happened before and I replaced the unit with a new one.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

More amps is ok, but a duo (any 5th gen) isn't as common in size as previous generations... just make sure 5V and polarity are correct. Your assumptions on power adapters when it comes to tuning/rf devices is incorrect as it is very sensitive to noise. First symptom of a power adapter going out is problems either with a specific tuner or when multiple tuners of a device are used.